New bod saying hello.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Oli.vert

New bod saying hello.

Post by Oli.vert »

Howdoo - I just joined (thanks Stu) and thought i'd introduce a little...

A little over 7 months ago I had a total hip replacement, previous to which I suffered too long and was essentially trapped to the built environment (other than scuba diving) - now my main ache is to get as far away from tarmac up a hill as possible, mainly by bike. I work (for want of a better word) in the disability sector of the cycle industry from where I've watched the cycle world explode into a million niches with as many user groups. Many of those niches have become worlds in their own right and have spun away in bewildering ways. Looked at a time-trial bike recently? Beyond that, how many things is a mountainbike these days? :shock:

There seems to be a strong focus on superlight and purity - for me purity means just doing wtf you want and making it work for you. For me I'm not sure how that will manifest but my feeling is that it wont be so much lightweight as functional, up hills, off road, and by bike. I take my hat off to you that saw your tooth-brushes in half, and drill holes in your chainrings though, I'm just not sure I can live without a Carradice bag somewhere. :lol:

Cheers to all. :-bd
Moder-dye

Re: New bod saying hello.

Post by Moder-dye »

Hi :-bd
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Hello :smile:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Hi Oli.

Sawing your toothbrush in half is only the first step mate. Next step: remove your valve caps.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hi there!

Don't worry about the hip replacement, I had mine done four years ago, I wish I'd had it done sooner. I don't think I'd be doing the things I do now if I hadn't had it done :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

In Reverse wrote:Hi Oli.

Sawing your toothbrush in half is only the first step mate. Next step: remove your valve caps.
Hah - what valve caps? My general valve cap philosophy is that they only serve to slow down the time it takes to fix a flat. Yes - I'm old school all the way - tubes for me (Schwalbe please).

Not worked out how to multi-quote yet but...

Eff yes! New hips rock! This one's so good I want another! Really, I think everyone should have one, n+1 even. If the result is this good why wait till you need one? Just get it done now! :grin:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:Hi there!

Don't worry about the hip replacement, I had mine done four years ago, I wish I'd had it done sooner. I don't think I'd be doing the things I do now if I hadn't had it done :-bd
I didn't know that Bob. I do know a lass who had hers done in her early thirties and is now back doing all sorts of suitably silly things.

But to the OP - hello, and nothing wrong with carradice bags. One of the best things about this caper is the lack of establishment. The is no definitive 'right' answer. Only what's right for you.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

ianfitz wrote: One of the best things about this caper is the lack of establishment. The is no definitive 'right' answer. Only what's right for you.
Which is largely appealing - and I'm looking forward to finding out what that is. My current ride is a Salsa La-Cruz set for fast commuting/roughstuff, but I've got a nice 650b rigid HT frame on order as a present to myself and motivator. Once November comes a. it might be ready, and b. might have some time to ride it. :D

Regarding the hip - I think the first is always a problem. I went through proper nightmares and solid depressive states in the years preceding surgery. If I'd known what I know now I'd have had it 3 years ago (when I asked and was told by a registrar that I was "too fit") the next one I wont wait so long for and am looking forward to doing my best to wear out. Just now getting strong enough to attack most hills out of the saddle and remain a few gears up. Feels great! :cool: