Northumberland/Scottish Borders

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Northumberland/Scottish Borders

Post by Chew »

Bit last minute, but planning on heading up to Northumberland tomorrow/sunday for a couple of days riding and checking out some of the Bothies. Probably end up over the border at some point as well.

Anyone else interested let me know
Ray Young

Re: Northumberland/Scottish Borders

Post by Ray Young »

Chew, did you get wet and how many bothies did you check out?
Chew

Post by Chew »

I did indeed Ray.

Drove up to Haltwistle, and then headed into Kielder forest towards Haughton Green. I wasnt sure where the footpath was to the Bothy until i came across this huge sign from the Police about looking after the Bothies. Not really discrete.

It was getting dark and the footpath was very boggy so i decided to leave that one for another day, and headed on into the forest towards Roughside. The wind was picking up and after a bit of rain i stumbled upon Green Bothy and decided to spend the night there.

Well kept, with a large stove, sleeping platforms for 6 if you're friendly and even a dartboard.
After reading the guestbook it was best that i stayed here, as many entries said that Roughside was called that for a reason.

In the morning, i headed over to Kielder water, and rode around the path on the northern shore, crossing my fingers that there might be somewhere to find a brew in Kielder. Stopped in the pub, to get warm and take on some tea.

From there it was a case of heading over the hills across to Scotland. The guys in the pub said that the path was closed, but i'd still be able to get though, so i went for it. The rain was lashing it down, my front brake ran out of pads, and then i had to take a 10 mile diversion, as the river crossing i had eyed up was just too risky.

Eventually arrived at Kershopehead Bothy, like a drowned rat. Fortunatly John had arrived much earlier in the day and had been chopping wood and had a roaring fire on the go.

After an hour i was warm enough to string a sentance together, to find out that he'd been travelling around Europe all summer. Glad of the warm bothy, as it allowed me to dry my kit. A night in the tent wouldnt have been much fun.

Very nice bothy, and someone had even gone to the trouble of decorating the Christmas tree. One of the best Christmas's in a long time.

The next morning, i tried to fix my brakes but my spare pads must have fallen out of my bag at one of my stops. It was an interesting 30 mile ride back to the car.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

How much time off do you get per year?

Looks like you had a good christmas party though.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Do you know that Kielderhead bothy is now closed? Would hate anyone to be out there and expect to be able to use it.

Latest MBA newsletter makes interesting (or depressing) reading about anti-social use of several of the NE bothies.

Apparently there's a new one in the pipeline that's a bit further out the way, on a cross border trail.
Chew

Post by Chew »

How much time off do you get per year?
Not enough ;)

Unfortunatly the ones in the NE do get a bit of abuse. Some of them are a bit too near to civalisation and easily walkable. The one at Roughside even has its own Bothy Parking area :shock: