Bear Bones News

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Bear Bones News

Post by benp1 »

Just in case Stu is too modest to mention it, and seeing as most people don't see it, the latest BB newsletter is out via email
benp1

Re: Bear Bones News

Post by benp1 »

Is the spring thing the gravel event you mentioned?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is the spring thing the gravel event you mentioned?
Yes and I've taken on board peoples thoughts about bar / tyre restrictions ... kind of :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes a pleasurable little read over a nice cup of tea as usual Stu, thank you for taking the trouble and effort with it. As an erstwhile scriber of newsletters I can sympathise if it feels slightly thankless sometimes. Being Reg, I particularly appreciated the occasional Viz-style touches which take a deft hand to carry off, a good snigger or two always brightens the day :wink:.

Oh right, so Jan is "The Cafe Racer" then? Us cafe-baggers finally get the recognition we deserve :smile:. Although, in the same vein as "Church Or Chapel" I wonder if awkward buggers like me might bend it slightly to be "Cafe OR Racer"? Guess which camp I'm in. Then again I don't know what the "race" part entails yet do I, so shut up Reg :wink:. I once managed to win an eat-five-creme-eggs-fastest contest so there could be hope for me yet - "eat-five-cafe-FRIED-eggs-fastest" perhaps?

Did my eagle-eye spot Mr Olsen in the headline photo? Where was that Nowhere then James? I like the angle/philosophy of Nowhere to aim for, there's a lot of "contrarian" in bikepacking. There's also a vague link between enjoying Nowhere and my little quote about "It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies". You don't have to go to, or do, or "achieve", anything spectacular at all to gain huge pleasure. "short rde" I suppose (**). Or even, yes sorry :wink: - Quantum Level Adventure.

Liked the link to the Bike Times article. A whole new discussion thread there really, but it's back to the stuff about what a contribution bikers can make to local economies - if done in the "right" (cue controversy...) way. I've never particularly subscribed to the "improved communications" make for better economies - whose economy? Maybe the giant supermarkets that spirit the profits away from the locals perhaps. Having lit the blue touch paper, I'm off for another cuppa...

Thanks again Stu for the newsletter, and, well, for everything you do for us.

Fumbling about in the dark(*) indeed... HAH!

R

(*) Story of my ongoing life really, but am perfectly at ease with that

(**) Blimey, I've had my first swear filter interference - "bit of a trip" should of course have read "M1cro Adventure" :lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Then again I don't know what the "race" part entails yet do I, so shut up Reg
Don't worry Reg ... less about racing and more about cake :-bd

With regard to the 'local community' bit. I've seen over the years how spending a few quid here or there and showing an appreciation for what an area has to offer, really does make a marked difference and is always appreciated. People might not have the inclination displayed by those in the article but every rural community has something to offer, even if it's simply a chat and snippet of local knowledge.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

less about racing and more about cake :-bd
:-bd Indeed
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote:..."Cafe OR Racer"...
Ooh yes! This sounds like...

(...wait for it, wait for it...)

...just my cup of tea! :d

"I'll pay this time, Reg."
"No Pete, I insist. You paid last time..."

...etc...etc..
May you always have tail wind.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
With regard to the 'local community' bit. I've seen over the years how spending a few quid here or there and showing an appreciation for what an area has to offer, really does make a marked difference and is always appreciated. People might not have the inclination displayed by those in the article but every rural community has something to offer, even if it's simply a chat and snippet of local knowledge.
Oop north I've always found local shops and cafes are pleased to see you and seem to appreciate that cycle tourers (!) carry little food and like to buy / eat enroute. There is a lot in the news at the mo about hoards of campervans descending on various parts of Scotland, buying nothing (as its all bought at home and stashed in the van) but leaving their sh*te behind and blocking roads / car parks everywhere. Sadly the soltuion seems to be to provide more parking rather than a major drive to promote more sustainable forms of tourism....

Good newsletter as always - Cheers :-bd
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

If like me, you're still waiting for the arrival of summer, then stop it ... its gone.
yep....
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

htrider wrote: Oop north I've always found local shops and cafes are pleased to see you and seem to appreciate that cycle tourers (!) carry little food and like to buy / eat enroute. There is a lot in the news at the mo about hoards of campervans descending on various parts of Scotland, buying nothing (as its all bought at home and stashed in the van) but leaving their sh*te behind and blocking roads / car parks everywhere. Sadly the soltuion seems to be to provide more parking rather than a major drive to promote more sustainable forms of tourism....

Good newsletter as always - Cheers :-bd
You should see the (mostly) German coach parties we have over here in the summer visiting the Norwegian Fjords. Everything, and I mean everything, is brought over from Germany (the hundreds of glass bottles of beer, in big yellow crates always amuses me by the shear weight of them full or empty...) so nothing goes to the locals. I find it quite sad really and always do "my bit" for the local economy.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Without intending to hijack the thread, how can l get one of these newsletters? May not of added myself to the list
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Jamesh wrote:Without intending to hijack the thread, how can l get one of these newsletters? May not of added myself to the list

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/contact/ should help :-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

I particularly enjoy the disclaimer at the bottom. I love you too Stu!
mh24

Post by mh24 »

Yes great news letters Stu. As a complete newby to this bike packing lark, the newsletters do give that extra bit of inspiration to just get out there and go nowhere at the same time as getting lost while getting there!