Folding bike packing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Folding bike packing

Post by BigdummySteve »

A new job will see me traveling around the country and sometimes abroad. We all know what happens next, hotel room, boredom followed by nipping down to the bar for a 'quick' pint. To avoid this inevitable slippery slope I've been considering some sort of folder. So what's out there and is there anything that could cope with gentle off-road and enough kit for an over nighter?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Re: Folding bike packing

Post by whitestone »

Might not be "on message"* but for a quick over-nighter a small rucksack might be the best option. Folding bikes have small and therefore stronger wheels so going off-road isn't as much a problem as it might be with 700c sized wheels, certainly fire road/canal tow path type terrain won't bother them. I've no idea if you can get CX style tyres for them. I've seen folding bikes with rigid style handlebar bags but there's no reason why they couldn't take a handlebar roll. Similarly at the back end, there's plenty of room between saddle and the top of the tyre :grin:

Brompton and Dahon seem to be the main makes though there's a chap I see on the train with a Giant that looks pretty solid.

* other bullsh*t bingo phrases available.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Airnimal Joey explore or explore drop with the 24" mtb tyres?
(Pricey though and doesn't fold as small as a brompton/dahon).
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've done light off road with my Brompton. Canal paths and light tracks are fine, anything too rugged and it ain't comfy so that's the limiting factor

Whilst you could bikepack with a rucksack, personally (and depending on the terrain) I'd be using my Game bag on the front (which is bloody excellent) and my Carradice SQR Slim on the back. I leave the mount attached

That would give me about 30 litres or so, rucksack would be fine too (and in some situations better)

The Brompton had the neatest and smallest fold. Which for me was the clincher, it's a folding bike I want, I have other bikes that are good bikes. That said the Brompton rides well. Haven't managed a bivy on it yet
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I found this while browsing,
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Montague-Parat ... _90571.htm

Not cheap but looks good. Anyone used one or seen one? Looks like it would fit in a car boot easily and not outrageously heavy

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Jameso did an overnighter on a folder not long ago. I forget quite what it was but he seemed to quite like it - I'm sure there's a post somewhere.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Alistair Humphrey has done trips on the Brompton, large dry bag packed vertically on rear. Small pannier rack and you're sorted

Something like this

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Jameso did an overnighter on a folder not long ago. I forget quite what it was but he seemed to quite like it - I'm sure there's a post somewhere.
Jameso has a ridgeback something.

I think most small wheeled bikes will be compromised for off road riding, suspension or not. But they give you options to have a bike with you in circumstances that a proper one might not
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I had a Tern Verge X10 until I broke it at the main hinge, so it was warranty replaced for a Brompton.

The Tern is a lovely bike to ride, like a flat bar road bike that will leave everything for dead at the traffic lights. I rode it from London to Newcastle in Easter 2016, only a broken spoke and gale force winds preventing my completion of the ride to Edinburgh. Far from ideal off-road though, it coped with Sustrans type paths (only just).

The Brompton is better off-road due to the stronger tyres and elastomer rear 'suspension' but I really don't like it over any distance. The X10 has a mountain bike cassette and mech so wide range, whereas the Brompton has a 3spd hub and 2spd derailleur, which together give a shifting experience with big gaps and a fair bit of drag. The Brompton fold is exemplary, so if that's a key thing then it's worth considering, but there's so much flex it's laughable. I can push the bars about an inch away from me, the steering is twitchy, and I don't think it's worth the price. That said, it fits in the boot of the car easily, so I'm keeping it for now.

The Tern:

bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

There's also the Airnimal Rhino. Sus forks. Originally sold with knobby tyres, though it seems to have Marathons on it these days. BMX sized wheels though, so plenty of options there.

http://airnimal.eu/products/rhino/white/#.WaSd_ZOGNE4
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Just to clarify I'm looking at something which will fit in the boot of an average saloon, I may end up with small van even so it doesn't need to be tiny. So far the paratrooper and the tern p27 look like good options.
As for Mr AH,s set up I don't need to carry as much baggage :wink:

Ideally my budget would be under £800 with room for future upgrades.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Didn't you say you were potentially going to be abroad? (Ie fly?)

Is your budget for a new bike or is secondhand ok?
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Don't know if you can still get them, but a slingshot might work?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I think Alastair Humphreys had his pack raft on there. He did a Shetland 'end to end' on it cycling and rafting across two very tidal sounds along with bivvying. About 70miles cycling and 2-3miles rafting.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I've also been toying with a folder for easier travel to places and had a few eyes up, the Montague's navigator being one along with terns.

I want the bigger wheels, nearly normal bike size but with some foldability for less hassle transport on bus/train/plane and backpacking.
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

Ritchey Breakaway CX? 700c wheels and packs into a case that's not airline oversize / fits in the boot of a Smart car and when assembled rides like a proper bike. I had the steel road version for a while then had a Chinese builder make me a CX in titanium for 40% of the cost of a titanium Ritchey. Another option is S+S couplings on a regular frame.

2 pairs of tyres in the case, road and CX and you're good to go pretty well anywhere.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Dovebiker wrote:Ritchey Breakaway CX? 700c wheels and packs into a case that's not airline oversize / fits in the boot of a Smart car and when assembled rides like a proper bike. I had the steel road version for a while then had a Chinese builder make me a CX in titanium for 40% of the cost of a titanium Ritchey. Another option is S+S couplings on a regular frame.

2 pairs of tyres in the case, road and CX and you're good to go pretty well anywhere.
I'd love to see more about that! Always fancied a 'full sized folder'. Got any photos ??
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I've used my Birdy-Rohloff to do some camping trips. Rudimentary suspension and larger than average wheel size for a folder works well on less technical off road.
I'd try to keep the weight low on a small wheel folder as they are a little less stable than a full size bike. Dare I say the pannier word here?
Al Humph probably felt like he was riding a comedy death trap with all that gear high up on a Brommer.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I think I've got this one covered...

ImageIMGP2823 by Dave W, on Flickr

Full size 26" frame with loads of clearance (shown here with 2.2s). It's just a normal (if somewhat outdated frame) so you can do what you like with it. Standard QR dropouts and spacing so fit whatever wheels you like, standard threaded BB shell and mech hanger so fit whatever drivetrain you like. 1" steerer so fork options are limited, but I've fitted an Exotic 1" threadless rigid carbon disc fork. I've welded on a rear disc mount now, but a V-brake is OK. Light it isn't.

Folded (before I changed everything except the frame):

ImageIMGP9187 by Dave W, on Flickr
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Montague also do an e version which will always be charged by using on board charger as you drive about.
http://electricmountainbikes.blogspot.c ... ewest.html
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.