Waterproof over down jacket

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

nobby

Waterproof over down jacket

Post by nobby »

I've got a down jacket that is only getting used when outside is cold and dry.
Is there a waterproof that works over a down jacket - works as in down jacket doesn't get sodden with sweat?
What are folks here using?
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Waterproof over down jacket

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Obviously to stop condensation forming on the inside of a waterproof/outside of your down jacket, the outer layer will need to be as breathable as possible. eVent is the most breathable I've found so far but others may have tried something else.

A lined waterproof should also prove better than an unlined one ... the very thin, very breathable liner should move any sweat/condensation away from the down quickly and hold it there until it can pass through the waterproof outer.

If it's really wet then I simply wouldn't bother trying to wear anything down - I'd get a synthetic layer instead.

If it's not really that wet (more a little damp) then I wouldn't use a fully waterproof outer over the down - I'd wear a soft shell layer or possibly a very light 'wind shirt' eg Montane Featherlite etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
nobby

Post by nobby »

Thanks for that Stuart.
My normal riding jacket is a Marmot Windshirt (effectively a thin microfleece with a windproof layer) and that is waterproof in drizzle. I generally put an Altura Pocket Rocket over it for heavier rain and that works pretty well.
I think, after your thoughts, I'll keep the down jacket for dry situations: off bike wear and extra sleeping insulation. It is probably easier for me to add thin merino layers next to the body and not worry if they get damp when not is cold, or add a lined waterproof.
I'd be interested to hear what others are doing.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

If your planning on using it whilst riding, I'd use a mid layer of smart wool/merino rather than down under your rain jacket/softshell.
From skin,
Base layer.
Mid layer.
If needed I'd put something in here but so far I've never been cold enough to date to need it.
Shell.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Waterproof over down jacket and any kind of sweat = wet down jacket
nobby

Post by nobby »

Thanks for the advice all.
Cheers
FLV

Post by FLV »

After a particularly cold bivi I set off in a down jacket with pertex shield plus fabric jacket over (rab) but soon removed the down layer when i warmed up.

Thats probably not any help though :D
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Hi,
I use a Rab Generator rather than down when it's likely to be wet as it's still warm when damp. Made of Primaloft.

I take an Alpkit down body warmer when it's really cold and have worn it ok under my jacket made of Neoshell. It's meant to be more breathable than eVent but still waterproof. It's certainly been good but having said that I like the eVent jacket I had before it too.

Stu.
nobby

Post by nobby »

FLV wrote:After a particularly cold bivi I set off in a down jacket with pertex shield plus fabric jacket over (rab) but soon removed the down layer when i warmed up.

Thats probably not any help though :D
Oh I don't know. It chimes with what others have said. Thanks :D
nobby

Post by nobby »

u02sgb wrote:Hi,
I use a Rab Generator rather than down when it's likely to be wet as it's still warm when damp. Made of Primaloft.

I take an Alpkit down body warmer when it's really cold and have worn it ok under my jacket made of Neoshell. It's meant to be more breathable than eVent but still waterproof. It's certainly been good but having said that I like the eVent jacket I had before it too.

Stu.
The trouble with being warm and damp is that I'd much rather be warm and dry! I think I tend to trust what I know (wool and down) and am reluctant to embrace newer clothing technology. I'm only just coming to terms with lycra and windtex actually working :)