CX Gear Ratios

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

CX Gear Ratios

Post by dlovett »

Hey Guys,

I'm struggling to work out what gear ratios I might want on a CX/adventure bike.

I demo'd a Boardman with the rival1 44x11/42 on roads last weekend and that seemed fine for road use, but I didn't get to try it on any proper hills. The Camino is being demo'd next weekend over the YD200, (slight risk but...) and will most likely be coming with a 40x11/42. Is that realistic for an ITT? If I buy it I'll be going for the 40x10/42 as it will be manly used as a road bike, but would I want a 38x10/42 for ITT's or seriously hilly stuff?

For reference my fat bike has 2x10 36/22x11/42 and the low gears let you be lazy and spin when others are struggling and my flat bar road commuter has 48/38/28 11-34. My drop road bike is 50/34 11/28.

What do you CX guys ride on things like the YD200/YD300/BB200 etc?

Cheers.
Dyffers

Re: CX Gear Ratios

Post by Dyffers »

dlovett wrote:Hey Guys,
What do you CX guys ride on things like the YD200/YD300/BB200 etc?
Cheers.
22 x 28

(yes, this is a dropbar bike, just with some decent tyre clearances)

Seriously, if you're racing cross a 44 single ring might be ok, but go way smaller if you're doing general purpose offroad, and especially if you're doing 8+ hours on it then want to ride up the hill others are walking up.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Arkose LTD has a 40 / 42 set-up which I found okay in most situations inc' proper off-road stuff. Switching to a 38 or maybe even 36 up front would probably be wise for loaded back to back days. Obviously you'll loose out on top end but only you can decide where the compromise will lie ... and there will be one :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I was thinking of a 36 for only putting on for itt's and with a ten it should still go ok down the hills. The rival1 can take a 38 according to sram, but I will have to see if a 36 will fit. Perhaps an oval might be worth a try.

Cheers
chris n

Post by chris n »

My 'road' bike has a 40T ring and 11-36 10 speed cassette and my MTB has 30T up front with the same cassette. If I wanted to ride more off road/gravel, especially with bikepacking gear, on the road bike I'd fit a ring that gave me a low gear closer to, or just less than 1:1 and put up with spinning a bit on the tarmac.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've ridden a 44t on a road bike with 10-42 it was a good spread of gears for most things.

I run 38 for off road for day rides but would prob go 36 if I was going to load that bike up.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Ok looks like it's going to be painful unless I can get them to fit a smaller ring up front.

Cheers Guys.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

If you will mainly use it on road you could go 40 narrow wide and fit a 'hidden' granny like in dyffers picture.

Assuming it's a double crank?? If not Chainrings aren't so expensive to experiment with
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

No the demo will be SRAM Apex1 1x11 and if I get it I'll have the Rival1 1x11.

the 40x11-42 will be fine for 99% of the time, I've just seen absolute black do a 36 oval for the rival as it is direct mount. Long term that would be the perfect solution for trips to mountain and itt's/bikepacking I think but for this weekend, I'll just have to really man up I guess or ride my bike.

ianfitz wrote:If you will mainly use it on road you could go 40 narrow wide and fit a 'hidden' granny like in dyffers picture.

Assuming it's a double crank?? If not Chainrings aren't so expensive to experiment with