Waterproof jacket options

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Re: Waterproof jacket options

Post by Al »

For fans of smock type event jackets - I recently picked one of these up in the Cotswold rock bottom in Betws for £100.
Pretty impressed with it so far - nice long sleeves and decent hood.
£120 on regular Cotswold website:
http://m.cotswoldoutdoor.com/montane-me ... lsrc=aw.ds
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

This Waterproof soft-shell from Rab looks worthy of consideration, in fact I am hovering over the buy trigger right now...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=8842
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Good find Al, i'm going to give one a whirl. I'll take it on our upcoming Scottish summer holiday which if last year is anything to go by should give it a thorough workout. M
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

Zpacks have a really good looking lightweight waterproof when it's in stock. At 3 times the breathability of the top industry standard it looks like a great jacket for bikepacking.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml
jameso

Post by jameso »

I think I'm done with buying 'normal' waterproofs that rely on a DWR coating
How does the shake dry Gore work, I thought that was a similar thing in that once dirty or 'scuffed' from packing it'll lose that shake-off beading?

For road rides I like my 7mesh Goretex Windstopper jacket - Windstopper shell material isn't rated as fully WP by gore but it works well, ridden it in proper rain on tours and it's cool enough as well as WP enough. It just keeps the water in / water out balance right (and dries amazingly fast once wetted out) which is all I'm after or can expect on the bike. The same jacket design/cut in Event fabric could be even better.
For off-road I'd go for something similar but cheaper ie reduces the rate of water getting in, is breathable and just use the right layers to stay warm. TBH I think water-proofing in a bike jacket is a futile aim if riding more than 30 mins in the rain, just reduce water ingress / sweat build-up rates and cut windchill so I stay warm and I'm happy.
jameso

Post by jameso »

cycleofaddiction wrote:Zpacks have a really good looking lightweight waterproof when it's in stock. At 3 times the breathability of the top industry standard it looks like a great jacket for bikepacking.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

"Incredible 60,000 g/m^2/24hr vapor transfer per test JIS L 1099 Method B1. This breathability rating blows away most other rain gear, including our previous generation fabrics."

But JIS is Japanese testing, afaia it's a different test method to the test that gives ~20,000 rating for Goretext etc. Generally divide the JIS rating by 3 for a guide to how it matches Event, Gore etc. So this seems like an error or misrepresentation of test numbers by Zpaks, based on the info I've got from clothing designers at work and the fabric samples (similar Japanese '60,000' rated) we've been looking at.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Followed that z-pak link.

Who new a rain kilt was a thing.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml
benp1

Post by benp1 »

jameso wrote:
I think I'm done with buying 'normal' waterproofs that rely on a DWR coating
How does the shake dry Gore work, I thought that was a similar thing in that once dirty or 'scuffed' from packing it'll lose that shake-off beading?
You can't wash off the coating ok the new fabric, it's not coated in the traditional sense so you never need to top it up. You can wash it with normal non-bio, not soap/tech wash.

It's very impressive stuff, only been licensed to a few companies by Gore, will only get better once more companies start using it
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ that sounds good, may be more off-road / dirt proof and worth the cost if it shows to be durable.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Recently bought a Columbia Outdry Titanium from sport pursuit for £55. Fed up with buying expensive jackets that after a few outings wet out and then start to delaminate.
At £55 it has to be worth a punt. So far... very impressed.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

rufus748 wrote:Recently bought a Columbia Outdry Titanium from sport pursuit for £55.
How breathable?
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

DoctorRad wrote:
rufus748 wrote:Recently bought a Columbia Outdry Titanium from sport pursuit for £55.
How breathable?
Not sure yet. Not been tested that way, only in the rain and under a long shower. It does have pit zips as well which I like. Reasonably light and packs up small for a full on waterproof.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Please let me / us know. If the breathability is at least 'good' then that looks like a right bargain.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know John Climber has used one of the Columbia jackets quite a bit.
May the bridges you burn light your way