Is it safe along the canal... ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

Is it safe along the canal... ?

Post by ericrobo »

A mate of mine is on day 3 of his 'project' :

To cycle from London to home (Lancashire) using only canals (the towpath not the water :-bd )- must be old age :roll:

Just got a text:
"Had a bit of a setback when I unzipped the tent this morning the bike had gone !
Quick taxi ride to Decathlon and a new bike and I'm on my way again"

Stolen just north of Milton Keynes...

I'll get details of the bike and post just in case anybody is from down there...

Moral is I suppose if the magpies are around DONT tempt them with shiny jewellery.

When you're bivvying in the middle of nowhere do you lock the bike...

Praps you will after reading this

I use mine fastened to one of the guys for the front entrance (they would just cut it and bike off before I'd decided my bad dream wasn't a bad dream...

Sucks big time this

Actually on second thoughts the FURTHER you are from civilisation (ha ! What a joke ?) the safer you are :-bd
ScotRoutes

Re: Is it safe along the canal... ?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bugger

I wouldn't have considered "just north of Milton Keynes" to be the middle of nowhere but it's a good warning not to get too complacent.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Generally, it's going to be people that cause you grief, the more people then potentially the greater the grief ... I'm assuming there's lots of people live nearby the cut in Milton Keynes?
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

They certainly do. MK has its share of ne'er-do-wells as much as anywhere else and the canal makes a nice getaway route.

As ever I shall inject a vaguely related tale. When I was a bowler-hatted city gent (no really), my local train got held up one day going into Euston. Bear in mind that the line plays host to Mr Branson's big red trainset, one of which had broken down that day. After a long time the guard made an announcement: "we're sorry for the delay, this has been caused by a failed Virgin in Milton Keynes". The general view in our carriage was that the explanation had taken so long because it had taken such a long time to count all those so-described denizens of MK..... :wink:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Nutsnut

Post by Nutsnut »

Depends on how far from Civilisation I was, more than 5 miles from the last house/pub I saw then I probably wouldn't lock it up.

If it within walking distance, it would be locked or forming part of my bivvy structure.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm a townie, so can't help but be concerned about my bike when leaving it

Canals attract unsavouries unfortunately, they're easy to access and quiet. If you want to go for a smoke or a drink it's handy, so if you're camping near one (or riding at night) you should be more aware

Still, that's very unfortunate

In the most case, a cable lock through the wheels would probably help, or locking it to something noisy/immovable
giryan

Post by giryan »

Yeah, a couple of years ago in Leamington, there were a spate of people cycling on the canal being knocked off while riding and having their bikes nicked. :(
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I bought a very small cheap personal attack alarm. To activate you are supposed to just pull a piece of plastic out of the alarm which is normally attached to a material hand loop.

I took the hand loop off and just put a length of thin black dynema cord.

I attach the cord to my bike and then run this on the ground to my tent and then attach the alarm to my tent.

So if someone picks up or moves my bike the attack alarm will activate.

And OMG is it loud.

Its about £6

Minder® 140db Police Approved Metallic Red Mini Minder Loud Personal Staff Panic Rape Attack Safety Security Alarm Keyring - Secured by Design Approved (Police Preferred Specification) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BFDF2SQ/ ... xzb0WS9D6J
Last edited by Adventurer on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

more than 5 miles from the last house/pub I saw
That's a very long way from anywhere here. Locally, I'd reduce that figure to about 200 yards :wink:
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

I usually try and drag my bike into my tent with me, or wrap guy lines etc around it in hopes of foiling a thief.
So far all ive managed is to annoy myself in the morning when i have a tangle of lines and knots to undo :lol:

One thing i have been wondering since recently moving onto a handlebar harness and seatpack instead of rucksack, is how do you guys secure these?
For example if i stop in town to go into a shop for supplies, it would be fairly easy for someone to unclip my dry bags or seat pack and be away with a sleeping bag or tent etc.

Been thinking about a stash of tie wraps for these times, not perfect but better than nothing. Do you guys bother?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One thing i have been wondering since recently moving onto a handlebar harness and seatpack instead of rucksack, is how do you guys secure these?
Having seen first hand, the way many bikepackers shape when trying to fit or remove luggage ... I'd not be too concerned about the average low-life removing it in less than half an hour :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

There's an idea for a new event right there.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Having seen first hand, the way many bikepackers shape when trying to fit or remove luggage ... I'd not be too concerned about the average low-life removing it in less than half an hour :wink:
Brings to mind Monty Python's Upper Class Twit of the Year sketch :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

When I first got my seatpack, I had a look at fitting it and opted to keep using my rucksack instead, so I suppose I shouldn't be worried about someone removing it in a hurry :lol:

More thinking about me drybag on handlebars that only has 2 clips, but I suppose most won't even consider what's in it
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Just in case...

The bike is (WAS)

Giant Anthem 29er
Light blue with some black and white
Only possible distinguishing bit is/was:
Some yellow tape around the crossbar (which may be difficult to remove)

He's still away and no pix on his phone

But it was insured :-bd

When I was doing some of the Borders350 2 years ago (it is VERY remote) because I camped at a picnic spot I fastened my bike with a small (and cheap) lock

In the morning it wouldn't unlock and no hacksaws or anything like that for miles and miles...

After a very trying 10 mins I got it unlocked (and binned it too)

Probably would fasten it now even on top of the Bealach Horn !!!