Pennine Bridleway Terrain.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Nutsnut

Pennine Bridleway Terrain.

Post by Nutsnut »

Having just completed by first Bike packing trip (Trans Cambrian Way) with relative ease on my Adventure/Cross bike, a Pinnacle Arkose. I've got my sights set on the Pennine Bridle way from Kirkby Stephen to Matlock. Anybody ridden this route before and advise of the general terrain one might expect?

I've ridden a lot of the peak district in my past day on a number of different mountain bike, so know what to expect in the high peak, low peak and dark peak and I feel comfortable riding these on my cross bike, but still have a proper mountain bike (PP Shan) should I need it.

Cheers
Chew

Re: Pennine Bridleway Terrain.

Post by Chew »

The section through the Dales is the the usual grassy tracks.
The next section is field edges and general tracks
The Calderdale section is rough in places but will be fairly similar to the stuff in the Peak. Some of the packhorse trails can rattle your teeth out riding rigid.

Generally i'd recommend a mountain bike, but if you're happy riding that bike in the Peak, i cant see you having any issues.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I agree with Chew, I live in the peak (more or less) and wouldnt ride a cross bike off road much, but if you're comfortable, go for it
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Remember, it never rains in Calderdale.

Enjoy the gates. If you feel like exploring while you pass through (above) Hebden shout and if I'm about I'll show you some stuff. Which would be nicer with suspension, but rideable without.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

I did it last year: Pennine Bridleway for Mortals http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... or+mortals.
Pete
May you always have tail wind.
Nutsnut

Post by Nutsnut »

Thanks guys,

All my riding of 10 years or so ago was in the peaks around Edale, Rush up, Ladybower and Cut gate.

Whilst I know those sections would be faster and more comfortable on a mountain bike, I've no concerns riding them on my cross bike which will be quicker on a lot on the majority of the Pennine. I rode everything on the Trans Cambrian without once wishing I was on my Mountain Bike, quite the contrary. The cross bike was perfect despite the amount of reports I read where people would swear by taking a full suspension bike.

Regards
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

If you're familiar with the stretch of the PBW that goes from Rushup Edge to Hayfield (Roych Clough, South Head, Mount Famine) then there's nothing massively lumpier/techier than that elsewhere on the route that I can think of.
Nutsnut

Post by Nutsnut »

Thank you In Reverse,

Roych Clough used to form part of m,y Jacobs Ladder route, Roman Road etc. So think I will stick to the cross bike with larger volume tyres.

Cheers