TDR 2017

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: TDR 2017

Post by GregMay »

jameso wrote:Lee's allergy is a shame, must be hard to be delayed by something random like that.

JP was called out for a ride on a skidoo in the Idita, or at least plenty of speculation about whether he did ot not. I'd not heard about the sail incident though : ) That's as funny as it is impressive that he could steer a bike and handle the kite at the same time ..
The letter from MC if you've not read it: http://lacemine29.blogspot.co.uk/2015/1 ... rvary.html
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ah, I read that ages ago but didn't recall that exact incident. So was that during his 17 day ride? Alex and I were on JPs 17 day record pace between montana and CO/NM border in 13. We had drier trails I expect, and no doubt Jay would kick my ass on a bike, still makes you think. Mainly that the sail might have made little difference compared to a good coffee and a tailwind on another day.
Edit, his recod could've been 16 days and some hrs, not sure tbh.
Last edited by jameso on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GregMay wrote:Shame. Reality is the 35% finish rate applies to everyone. Some just get lucky and finish.
So a roughly 1 in 3 completion ratio? I thought that was a bit low but it's actually not that different from historical Bob Graham figures (that's actually around 1 in 2.3 these days) so. We've got last year's Cordillera book but it's not to hand, does that record reasons for scratching? I know there's the results of a questionnaire at the back about bikes and kit.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

More or less yes. Varies year to year,changing long term as the pedigree of rider changes.

No scratch reason list. Either you finished or didn't, the why is irrelevant.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

In 2016 the finishing rate was about 45% (or 87 out of 191) based on Trackleaders.

Some people will give up at the first small problem and some will fight through illness, injury and major mechanicals and still finish.

One of the guys I rode with a bit last year (Jose) was extremely scathing of people who had quit without a really good reason. We were talking about a guy who had quit after being bitten by a dog, which I thought was kind of fair enough. Jose's response was "get yourself to a medical centre, get it cleaned out, get some antibiotics and get the hell back on your bike". He actually believed it was an excuse from someone who had been looking for a reason to quit.

Another guy who I rode with a bit (Pavel) was knocked off his bike into a ditch by a car, badly bruising his ribs, giving him concussion and snapping his handlebars near Del Norte. He got his bike fixed, and carried on in quite a bit of pain, still finishing in under 19 days.

It depends how much you want it really.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Tom, had Jose ridden in NM by that point? :) he might be used to dogs but I agree, I can understand a mentally drained rider being beat to scratch point by a dog attack.
Some of the best stories are the 'finished-despites', like Krafts in 2013.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ah yes, Jose. The chap I had to remind twice on day one the definition of "self supported" when he asked for a tool. Then my water bottle. And drafted off me continually. Quite a character. Previous RAAM finisher I believe?
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Quite a character. Previous RAAM finisher I believe?
Definitely a character. Yes, previous RAAM finisher and currently sitting in 4th place in the Trans Am Bike Race.

He tried to draft off me on some of the tarmac sections, so I dropped him.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

NewRetroTom wrote:
Quite a character. Previous RAAM finisher I believe?
Definitely a character. Yes, previous RAAM finisher and currently sitting in 4th place in the Trans Am Bike Race.

He tried to draft off me on some of the tarmac sections, so I dropped him.
Oh so very .......

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

The Craigie is out. Bottom bracket failure has killed her frame
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

...but she's managed a bodge which will get her to steamboat for a fix that'll let her tour the rest of the route.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

NewRetroTom wrote: so I dropped him.
Boom. Not denying he's a strong rider, just wouldn't have a beer with him. Unlike you Tom, even though I ordered a Coke ... and then the barman gave me a stern look.
Last edited by GregMay on Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ianfitz wrote:...but she's managed a bodge which will get her to steamboat for a fix that'll let her tour the rest of the route.
Nice, hopefully she'll have a nice ride on her own. Good route to tour down and enjoy.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Rickie should hopefully get to roll through Radium before the heat of the day. Really, really warm section down there. Descent into it is a bit sketchy with pea gravel, sharp turns and off-roaders hairing up it at speed. Not a high point for me as I nearly went over the edge avoiding one :|
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

JUst noticed that the Re-route comes back en route at Vallecitos - dog alley.

Where Brian is now, is where I sat on the side of the trail crying after being chased by a pack of dogs, then driven at by a car, then had a can of beer thrown at me. It was about 7am.

Not the highlight of my ride.

Still quite beautiful though

ImageDSC00814.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

ImageDSC00819.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Rickie Off route at Kremmling feeding up before the trudge over Ute pass beautiful riding on the next section:

ImageDSC00714.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

Then the time wasting delights of Sliverthorne - Frisco - Breck with some really fast riding for the middle of the day on tarmac. Lots, if not too many, opportunities to stop for food and supplies before the big one for today over Boreas pass.

ImageDSC00724-Pano.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

Oh, and the Goldrush trail - so, so very good. Let's hope she doesn't miss it and end up down in Como like a lot of riders do. Hopefully she knows that the hotel isn't one any more. And then pushes onto Hartsal and beer and burritos in the Nascar bar!

ImageDSC00732.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Greg -re: Vallecitos, it seems as if one rider has come prepared http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... 12991/440/, notice the "water" pistol on the strap of his rucksack. Later comments suggest it might be relevant to dog alley
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote:Greg -re: Vallecitos, it seems as if one rider has come prepared http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... 12991/440/, notice the "water" pistol on the strap of his rucksack. Later comments suggest it might be relevant to dog alley
Smart :)

I know of one rider who kept his bear spray all the way to NM for that specific section!

I think it depends on the time of the day really, other riders get away with it. Some get bitten. Some don't even get a bark.

Annoyingly, there are even worse dogs further on the route. As you climb out of Abiquiu after Bode's truckstop, on a steep hill, there a a crap load more - they are fitter too.

Burritos are Bode's are a thing of beauty.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I camped by that lake just out of Kremmling in the photo in 2014. A little further around from where this picture was taken. Really nice after the day of riding the Radium descent (I thought it was fantastic - but I had no traffic; very long drops off to the left with no barrier). The Silverthorn/Frisco bike track was the first time I'd ridden a paved bike path with a switchback, so a nice little memory. :)

Greetz

S.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Scattamah wrote:I camped by that lake just out of Kremmling in the photo in 2014. A little further around from where this picture was taken. Really nice after the day of riding the Radium descent (I thought it was fantastic - but I had no traffic; very long drops off to the left with no barrier). The Silverthorn/Frisco bike track was the first time I'd ridden a paved bike path with a switchback, so a nice little memory. :)

Greetz

S.
I utilised the Montana Hilton beside that lake. It was quite refreshing.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 20.25.27.jpg
(207.39 KiB) Downloaded 5801 times
Big fire south of Pietown looking problematic now.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Looks like Rickie missed the Golddust trail. Stopped in Como, hope she realises, rides back up, then goes down the correct way.

Crap video - but as you come over the top you hare past this turn off. Many riders miss it each year. Bloody good trail. One of, if not the best, piece of singletrack on the whole route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfXeQljziVg
Mart

Post by Mart »

only 20 miles between the top 2 so anyone's game really
Josh has had much less stop time in the last few days - will be interesting to see how much that effects the chase down to Brian who looks to have had better quality and longer rest in towns - If Brian sleeps in then that could change everything

I love dot watching :cool:
2924 miles per Gallon
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

How do you miss the golddust trail if you have a GPS? I get that if you were using maps you probably would, but if you read up on the route and were aware of it... I guess some garmins don't give off course warnings too.

re: dogs. I kept my bear spray for Vallecitos, but when I went through it was late, not a single dog. Then when I left Abiquiu at 2am I got chased by a load of dogs on the climb out of town. I hit one dog on the head with the canister, it was that close to me! I was ready to mace the sh!t, but it buggered off. Also got chased on the road into Pueblo Pintado by some reservation dogs, they didn't look very nice!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

mountainbaker wrote:How do you miss the golddust trail if you have a GPS? I get that if you were using maps you probably would, but if you read up on the route and were aware of it... I guess some garmins don't give off course warnings too.
Cold. Dark. You ride off the top. Tired. Look down once when zoomed in. Make an assumption it goes this way. Down the gravel, past the turn, coast and eat. Look again 2 mins later, you've descended so far it's back on course on the lower section.

It could happen. It does happen. But most realise, ride back up, or self relegate in Como.

But it's a mistake that is well documented over the years, it's known that you have to take it, it's only optional if your NoBo.