What books are you reading?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

atk

What books are you reading?

Post by atk »

New books here are expensive and a can't bring myself to support Amazon and get a Kindle so I've been surviving on the books I brought with me and some car-boot/charity shop/cafe swap books for the last three months. Now we're settled down for a bit I've got a snazzy new library card and can pick and choose what to read!

So...
What was the last book you read?
What are you reading at the moment?
Would you recommend it?

I've ended up reading about running (Eat & Run, Born to Run, Feet in the Clouds), a few classic/cult books (In Patagonia, Stoner, Hitchhiker's GTTG), a badly written intelligence manifesto (The Open-Source Everything Manifesto), outdoors (Hell of a Journey, Into Thin Air) and some coffee table/reference books (How to find your way without map or compass, Tour Aotearoa thing). Other than the manifesto I've enjoyed them all, How to find your way... was read in chunks, a bit much to digest in one go but at least now I know that some anthills are directional :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

Saying that, I can't remember which type of ants build in which direction... one to revisit I think...

Stu: if this has been done before and you want to merge with an old thread that's cool :-bd
In Reverse

Re: What books are you reading?

Post by In Reverse »

Stoner's a beautiful book.

I've just finished a Barter - Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder. It was great :lol: :-bd

Now 3/4 through Deep Blue by Alan Judd. Grapes of Wrath next.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Re-reading Annapurna by Maurice Herzog at the mo. A little dry at the start, route descriptive that takes a a bit of visualising and attention, but the actual climb finale is gripping.
Before that - Lanterne Rouge by Max Leonard. Really enjoyed that. Tour history from the other end of the field.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

In Reverse wrote:Stoner's a beautiful book.

I've just finished a Barter - Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder. It was great :lol: :-bd

Now 3/4 through Deep Blue by Alan Judd. Grapes of Wrath next.
The grapes of wrath is my favourite book ever!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Life on the edge by Eric Jones. Brilliant book and a very humble climber
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Fixing Your Feet by John Vonhof - after hauling a pair of prunes around the Highland Trail I thought I'd better try and do something about it.

The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst. A bit hard going in the early stages.

Didn't realise that Eric had written a book. He was the first Briton to solo the North Face of the Eiger.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

Likewise, will look up Eric Jones' book.
He was the first Briton to solo the North Face of the Eiger.
- I have Leo Dickenson's film of it. Eric had very matter-of-fact approach, which I suspect is needed for something like that. No hype, no conquering, just how he ended up seeing it as possible and got on with it when the time was right.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

What was the last book you read?
In Siberia by Colin Thubron. A fantastic, insightful travelogue. A truly daring approach to travel, but not in a willy-waving way at all. Thoroughly recommend it.
What are you reading at the moment?
Out of Africa. A classic I thought I had to read.
Would you recommend it?
Quite enjoying the escapism so far.
Grapes of Wrath next
Sticking with Steinbeck, Travels with Charley is one of my favourite books.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Currently reading The Chalke Way, a bit odd reading a guide book without actually being on the route but ok. I like the authors style and humour, reminds me of Reg's style of writing from here.

Last book I read was Dave Barter's The Year, great read and really conveys just how hard the early riders were.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Last book I read was Dave Barter's The Year, great read and really conveys just how hard the early riders were.
Seconded ... one of the best 'cycling' books I've read. Much more about people than nuts and bolts which makes it even better ... hard as really hard nails :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

#Pineapple Club - John Stanley.
You may never look at wireless security the same after reading it.

Greetz

S.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

What was the last book you read? The Great Divide (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1) by Stephen Pern - written in 1983 by a British chap thru-hiking* the as yet unmapped Great Divide Route. Excellent read.

Would you recommend it? Yes.

What are you reading at the moment? About 2 months worth of 2000ad progs ... but started reading Found: A life in mountain rescue by Bree Loewen (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/168 ... UTF8&psc=1) after reading a review on the Alpinist website.

*Americanised spelling intended.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Reading is largely for winter to me so not really reading anything at present other than Middle Eastern Cookery.
Already lined up for next winter Brothers Karmazof but seeing Steinbeck mentioned might try some of those. Saw the original b&w film version of Grapes of Wrath while at school so be good to read the book although the South Park episode parodying it has probably ruined it.
If you want a ripping yarns book try H W Tillman Eight Voyages.

His climbing career, however, began with his acquaintance with Eric Shipton in Kenya, East Africa, where they were both coffee growers. Beginning with their joint traverse of Mount Kenya in 1929 and their ascents of Kilimanjaro and the fabled "Mountains of the Moon" Ruwenzori, Shipton and Tilman formed one of the most famed partnerships in mountaineering history. When it came time to leave Africa, Tilman was not content with merely flying home but rode a bicycle across the continent to the West Coast where he embarked for England. (Wikipedia)
Didn’t know about the Shipton Tillman link so just googled it up and discovered Shipton and Tillman by Jim Perrin. I love the serendipity way books find their way to me. Next stop library.

Great topic interesting reading.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

LBIR: Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

RATM: Always a Little Further by Alastair Borthwick

WIRI?: I already did (on the what type of b/packer thread) so thought I'd better re-read so if it lived up to my memory... 'A classic tale of camping, hiking and climbing in Scotland in the thirties'. The (somewhat appropriate I feel) quotation for the book is:

But who are ye in rags and rotten shoes,
You dirty bearded, blocking up the way?

We are the Pilgrims master; we shall go
Always a little further...
Give the dirt a little room.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Get a second hand e-reader that you can directly load epub or mobi files onto. No need to support Amazon.

Last read: Wolfgang Streek - How Will Capitalism End?
Currently reading: George Orwell - Keep The Apsidistra Flying

Both are good. Wolfgang Streek is a collection of essays so you can get away with reading individual chapters if you can't stomach a whole book written by an economist. Spoiler the answer is badly. ;-)

Orwell is suprisingly relevant still. Have fallen out of the habit of reading though so clearly it's not engaged me that much.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Stuff I've read recently I'd recommend.

Grapes of wrath - John Steinbeck.
The Stand - Stephen King.
Room - Emma Donoghue.
The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks.

All four are breath taking in one way or another. I've read a bunch of other stuff too, but these four stood out.

Currently reading:
The divine comedy - Dante Alghieri. (Been reading this on and off for about 4 years)
1984 - George Orwell
ootini

Post by ootini »

Scattamah wrote:#Pineapple Club - John Stanley.
You may never look at wireless security the same after reading it.

Greetz

S.
Sounds interesting....
atk

Post by atk »

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming!

Will pop in on my lunch break tomorrow and see what's available (screw the $2 reservation fee!)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Storm in a teacup by Helen Czerski - probably the best written and most interesting physics book ever. I now sort of understand why things float and more importantly why ducks don't get cold feet. I will happily pass this on to someone interested when finished as it needs to be read.

Can I also point the Orwell likes at Down and out in London and Paris, his best book that nobody has read.

Thanks for the kind comments about The Year
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Dave Barter wrote:Storm in a teacup by Helen Czerski - probably the best written and most interesting physics book ever. I now sort of understand why things float and more importantly why ducks don't get cold feet. I will happily pass this on to someone interested when finished as it needs to be read.
I'd be interested in that please Dave, I'm a big fan of popular science books. Can send you something interesting in return.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Andy could I read it after you've done with it - can't beat a bit of everyday science
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

PM me address Andy then pass on to Ione
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I'm reading 'The gentle art of tramping' very good so far. I was ejected from the house yesterday by a gaggle iof women so I cycled to a local lake and spent a few hours reading in the shade.

And I would love to know why ducks don't get cold feet....
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Can I also point the Orwell likes at Down and out in London and Paris, his best book that nobody has read.
I've read it! I wouldn't describe it as his best book, but to each their own :cool:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Just started The Scar by China Mieville so I'll need a dictionary handy. Next up will be The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi.