HT550 - 2017

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: HT550 - 2017

Post by fatbikephil »

Mart wrote:
htrider wrote:I noticed Alan seems to have gone for a wander on his bike today judging by his latest pre-start spot position.....
Alternative route for 2018?
Hmmm - 3000ft HAB half an hour after the start. Don't give him ideas....
I see R & T have stopped just at Loch Affric - a thoroughly nice spot in the current weather (about where I had my second brake pad faff in '15). A bloody good effort for them. Less than 100 to go....
Javi

Post by Javi »

ianfitz wrote:Anyone in tyndrum now? I'll be heading to the tyndrum inn about 9:30 I think.
We were 6 or 7 outside until literally now. I'm in the van at the end of the main car park if you are around knock at my door
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

Got meeting I can't get out of tomorrow morning - so I'll be leaving bristol at 1ish - not the best preparation :cry:

Having a few last minute bike issues to, so hoping I get a bit of time to fix it at some point :roll:

Looking forward to it though!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just about to head up to Tyndrum. Hope I haven't forgotten anything :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

What's going on with Peter Admiraal currently on ITT on Track Leaders?
I could have sworn I saw him get nearly as far as Wolftrax on the A86 yesterday after 1 day of riding, but now he seems to be back at the Ben Alder bealach, heading back to Tyndrum?
:???:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

padonbike wrote:What's going on with Peter Admiraal currently on ITT on Track Leaders?
I could have sworn I saw him get nearly as far as Wolftrax on the A86 yesterday after 1 day of riding, but now he seems to be back at the Ben Alder bealach, heading back to Tyndrum?
:???:
He enjoyed the Alder section so much, he's going to ride it again. I should have done the same...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Meanwhile Tom and Rich cracked onto Loch Affric last night and got an early start today - possible finish tonight?? Or maybe hoping to roll in tomorrow as we start.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:Meanwhile Tom and Rich cracked onto Loch Affric last night and got an early start today - possible finish tonight?? Or maybe hoping to roll in tomorrow as we start.
I reckon tonight is doable. Maybe 8hrs from Fort William, so I reckon they'll be in while it's still Friday.
Javi

Post by Javi »

From Fort Augustus to Tyndrum last year took me 10h 20 min. Not sure if they can make it today, maybe before midnight. I'm sure I'll see them tomorrow morning. Outstanding effort!

I can send an OK location with my tracker but it doesn't track my route. Any ideas? I'm in touch with Scott Morris/trackleaders but we are running out of time.
I may not be able to start tomorrow.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'd like to wish all the HT550 riders all the best for tomorrow. Especially STEVE LARGE. As many of you may know, this is Steve's third attempt at the race and he has suffered much misfortune in previous years. Therefore can I ask that the other riders treat this veteran with the respect he deserves by not attempting to overtake him on the trail or out sleep him. That would be properly disrespectful and rude. He can get quite violent as well so the best advice is to hang back and enjoy the view. On no account should you try to overtake him.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Dave Barter wrote:I'd like to wish all the HT550 riders all the best for tomorrow. Especially STEVE LARGE. As many of you may know, this is Steve's third attempt at the race and he has suffered much misfortune in previous years. Therefore can I ask that the other riders treat this veteran with the respect he deserves by not attempting to overtake him on the trail or out sleep him. That would be properly disrespectful and rude. He can get quite violent as well so the best advice is to hang back and enjoy the view. On no account should you try to overtake him.
I shall ensure that I am not in a position to overtake him, ride faster than him, or beat him in any way.

My apologies go out to Rich Picton for me suggesting that I won't win.
touch

Post by touch »

Javi wrote:From Fort Augustus to Tyndrum last year took me 10h 20 min. Not sure if they can make it today, maybe before midnight. I'm sure I'll see them tomorrow morning. Outstanding effort!

I can send an OK location with my tracker but it doesn't track my route. Any ideas? I'm in touch with Scott Morris/trackleaders but we are running out of time.
I may not be able to start tomorrow.
Does your message show up on the share page?

The one with the link like this: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 9y5FiMIWyW

edit: It seems to be working a bit? You're showing up in tyndrum but that was tracked this morning and nothing since.
Last edited by touch on Fri May 26, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Yes, only the OK in the share page
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... ZnCPlV84qB

It worked fine and all was fine for Braunton 150. Then I got new bank card and later on I had to renew the myspot annual contract as it couldn't be done automatically. All seemed fine, paid for the new subcription and now I see I can't track anything. I downgraded my subcription from 5 minute tracking intervals to 10 minutes
touch

Post by touch »

There are settings to choose which types of points get shared.

Go to https://www.findmespot.eu/en/ and log into your account.
Click "share" option in the menu at the top then click edit for the share on that page.

Make sure you've got all the following points shared:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Did someone else have a similar problem recently? Have you had the spot plugged in to a computer since you changed the subscription? I seem to recall having to update the device but hopefully someone will remember what needed to be done.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Some of the ITT people were the same - it just shows a pre start position and no track. Could be a problem with trackleaders rather than your spot? Don't let duff electronics stop you from starting! You may just have to hit the OK button every so often
See yas tomorrow
Phil
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

This was the similar problem

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... ng#p113852

But as has been said, just start anyway and check in from time to time. If the ok works then the sos should work which is the main reason for having it? Your gps will still log the ride.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Didn't rufus have this problem and sorted it?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Javi

Post by Javi »

The screen capture is the same. Probably changing from the 5 minute to 10 minute more basic membership is the problem? Which it shouldn't be. I remember upgrading the firmware some months ago but haven't recently plugged in to the pc.
A bit annoyed paying a lot for this service and getting so little in return.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

This is from the spot instructions

BASIC TRACKING: With Basic Tracking, messages are sent every 10 minutes for 24 hours while moving, or until cancelled. To re-engage Tracking after 24 hours has passed, press and hold the Track button until the function light blinks green.
NEW ONLY WITH GEN3
UNLIMITED AND EXTREME TRACKING: SPOT Gen3's new enhanced tracking options allow you to "set it and forget it." Send track messages every 2 ½, 5, 10, 30 or 60 minutes (depending on your plan and preference) for as long as your SPOT is powered on or until the batteries run out.
To set your rate of tracking, sign in to your SPOT account at FindMeSPOT.com and choose 'view/edit' SPOT Features from the My SPOT Devices tab. PLEASE NOTE: making any change to the rate of tracking requires you to reconfigure your device to update the settings.

So it would seem the change of tracking rate is the issue. I cant seem to find out how to change it on the website. I think Duncan Lovett would be the man to ask as he set up the Braunton tracking page and seems to know the units inside out. Sorry I cant be of more help :sad:
Javi

Post by Javi »

So I think I need a pc to plug the spot gen 3 and change the 5 minute intervals to 10 minutes? I couldn't find it in the options either. That could work.

See if anyone got a laptop around.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Last time I had this problem I had to set up a new share page. Might be a bit over the top, but it seemed to work.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's the fix. I had the same problem. Just download the firmware and re-flash it.

The option to change the polling interval disappears once you have the basic subscription.

I can see why they've done it this way.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Plugged in Huw Oliver's laptop and is working now! Relief!!!
Thanks!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

:-bd