which bar roll (with stand off things).

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

which bar roll (with stand off things).

Post by ton »

which bar roll? I need one with a stand off to clear cables.
reccommendations please.
Wilkyboy

Re: which bar roll (with stand off things).

Post by Wilkyboy »

I saw a nice Specialized one on WRT. The "BURRA BURRA" or something like it — http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/special ... king-bags/

Me, I use an old KlickFast mount and some Heath Robinson-esque arrangement of an old, bent spoke and 20mm webbing to give me enough stand-off to mount an 8L Alpkit drybag away from the cables and the top of the suspension fork (which is a bit weird itself).
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I had a specialized handlebar mount at WRT.
Works okay.
Did twist a little, though, to be fair, that was on bumpy stuff.
Going to have the workshop modify a little.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Asposium wrote:I had a specialized handlebar mount at WRT.
Works okay.
Did twist a little, though, to be fair, that was on bumpy stuff.
Going to have the workshop modify a little.
I liked the look of it — a proper solution to the problem of older bikes with old-skool cable routing and dodgy forks. Noted on what you say, though — the reviewer I linked to above said the same thing about it drooping when more-than-lightly loaded.

My KlikFast mount uses a steel wire that loops OVER the bars and UNDER the stem and is captive at both ends — that prevents the assembly rotating down and works very well — something similar either in wire, or using 20mm webbing and ladderlock buckles, could be made to work for the Spesh Burra Burra, no? However, I had to add a length of paracord from the bottom of the drybag around the back of the fork to prevent it all bouncing up the other way over rougher terrain. Overall it worked well, although balancing the drybag was tricky, since the attachment points are fixed-position, so things inside the bag had to be packed just so to prevent it leaning one way or the other — and probably using a proper harness like the Burra Burra would help address this issue.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Alpamayo works very well. Clears cables and is very stable.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not exactly helping :roll: but I noticed when swapping from Shimano to Hope brakes that the hoses and gear cable ran much better. Looking at the Shimano levers, the reservoir and hose are angled away from the handlebars whereas the Hope ones are parallel. The shifter is an i-spec mount and this is the same: angled out on the Shimano, parallel on the Hope.

Previously (using a Wildcat Lion) I was forcing the hoses and gear cable back against the headset, now they just sit about 20-30mm in front of the headset and "push back" easily.

A bit of an expensive change though!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My Revelate harness works pretty well, stable and plenty of space for the cables
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

The Alpamayo one is great, my mate's got one. I'm waiting to get one too, but they're out of stock until June at the earliest.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

benp1 wrote:My Revelate harness works pretty well, stable and plenty of space for the cables
+1 There is about 4cm of stand-off.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

The Blackburn one is pretty bombproof. A friend used it on the Cairngorms Loop and it didn't move an inch, despite being a couple of inches away from the bars all the time
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote:Not exactly helping :roll: but I noticed when swapping from Shimano to Hope brakes that the hoses and gear cable ran much better. Looking at the Shimano levers, the reservoir and hose are angled away from the handlebars whereas the Hope ones are parallel. The shifter is an i-spec mount and this is the same: angled out on the Shimano, parallel on the Hope.
That's one of the reasons I run Hope brakes as all the models have the hoses parrallel to the bars. It's also the justification I used when the wife asked me why I was buying new brakes when I replaced my Shimano Deores with Hope Race X2s :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Alpamayo works very well. Clears cables and is very stable.
+1 for this. The Alpamayo is probably my favourite so far - very stable.
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I run my Alpkit harness thing (Kanga?) with stem cells trapped between the harness and the bars. This allows space for the cables (you can fit the stem cells in the gaps between cables and they space the harness away from the bars). A fringe benefit is that I no longer bang my knees on the stem cells when climbing out of the saddle. It works great (stability of my Airlock Duals isn't compromised at all) and the only modification required was swapping the velcro straps supplied by Alpkit for some longer ones (I used some toeclip straps). The stem cells attach to the bars at the rear and onto the harness at the front.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Between me n the Mrs we use the Blackburn one, plenty of clearance but a bit over engineered imo, and the Triglav, very nice, very simple, enough clearance for shimano brakes and shifters.
Blag

Post by Blag »

I use a alpkit kanga with some pipe lagging around the bars