Talk to me about... Spot Trackers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Talk to me about... Spot Trackers

Post by Dan_K »

So I got carried away on EBay and won a Mark 1 spot tracker.

What do I need to know? Am I tied in to using the Spot Tracker service and paying a premium or are there third party sites that I can use instead?
What's the deal? Does it automatically record as soon as you turn it on or what? Do people turn it off when they stop for breaks and overnight etc like a Garmin?
Is it possible to take tracks off it?
Ian

Re: Talk to me about... Spot Trackers

Post by Ian »

There are two places I know where you get a annual subscription, Spot and in the UK a company called Adventure Trading Post http://www.adventuretradingpost.co.uk/

The basic subscription allows to relay OK, Help and SOS messages via the Spot network.
For an additional sum, you can get the tracking option that will periodically transmit you "current" position. However, there is at least a 10 minute lag at best between a point being transmitted and then becoming visible on you Spot shared page.

It doesn't store data like a Garmin would, and you don't download anything. Points are transmitted and stored on a website (Spot's own page [which retains data for max 7 days] or Spotwalla which is a third party service I use, which stores data indefinitely).

I leave mine on all day, switch it off at camp once I've sent an OK message. Batteries on a Spot 1 last 100 hours+ in my experience.

Spot 1 units are a little sensitive to tree cover, so when sending messages, get a clear view of the sky.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Adventuretradingpost are no different to spot.
The only thing he offers different is he can convert from lat/long to OS GR's when you send an OK.
He can also convert the same to a text message for a small extra fee.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

yep I use the AdventureTradingPost subscription & it's been fine (although I did manage to mess up my Spotwalla page so nobody could follow my Highlands ride - user error! :roll: )
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Ta for the info guys. Looking forward to using it.

My other half is a lot happier too as it's given her some peace of mind.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Yes if you do lots of riding on your own then it is reassuring to have it with you I think.
gairym

Post by gairym »

i've just taken delivery of one from a mr flatfishy and am looking forward to putting it to good use!

it was also a wife-pleasing purchase - should keep me in the good books for a little while.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I also won one on Ebay in the summer but not used it yet. So if I get a sub from Adventure Trading Post it will cost £82.95 for a year and then Spotwalla is free. I need both though, as I read it, to allow loved ones to follow me on line. Is that right, or will just the ~£83 deal be enough?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

The €99/~£93 sub is enough to let friends and family see your travels via a link you set up when your logged into the Spot site.
The €99 sub is the basic package though and you will need to also get the tracking sub ~€40 to enable this.
Spotwalla does a similar thing but it's not necessary for others to track your progress.
I find the Spot site good enough for my needs that I've not really had a proper look at Spotwalla
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks Taylor, sorry if appearing thick but where is the ~40euro charge from, not seen that? Is that from the SPOT site? I can only see the £82.95 on the ATP site. Spotwalla is free but donations available.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Both these links tell you about the optional tracking service,

http://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=111

http://www.adventuretradingpost.co.uk/Airtime1.aspx
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks Taylor, think I have got it now.