How is everyones BB200 prep going?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: How is everyones BB200 prep going?

Post by Ian »

Problem I have with my bike is that I really only have the one, so its perpetually dirty and only gets attention at the last minute before a big bike ride. Singlespeeding does allow you to take a more relaxed approach to bike maintenance, though I have spent some time recently fitting new disc hoses, disc pads, chain, chainring and bedding those in ready for the weekend.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Good luck everyone, I'm officially witdrawing on the grounds that I'm not ready to ride 200km, and I have meetings on Monday that will determine my future career and so can't afford to arrive home late on Sunday, tired and trashed.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bike *should* be good to go, I ride it regularly and providing its still working when I put it away after a ride tonight, its staying that way.

Food is my biggest bug bear, I could carry a stove and pasta, or could try to survive on energy bars and malt loaf! :D
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

hmm just read the bit about not splitting gear ..... are we ok to share a tent between us? i am guessing so as we both will technically have some shelter each.
I'll give you something to carry before the start that'll keep you 'legal' ... don't worry, it won't be heavy or bulky ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

Anyone want to speculate on a 'winning' time or 'winner'?

Familiarity with the route is going to bring everyones times down, but ground conditions dont look as favourable as they were last year, so not sure if last years time is going to be beaten.

Ian/Kevin for the 'win' again, or are the Chadwicks/Mr Pomfret going to put in a stronger challenge?

Personally if I finish this year that would be good, under 28 hours would be marvalous
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

FLV wrote:Food is my biggest bug bear...could try to survive on energy bars and malt loaf! :D
You just need to mix it up a bit: pain au chocs/croissants, cashews/peanuts, enegry bars/gels, chocolate/haribo for when you're feeling miserable.

My personal pick-me-up insta-food is pepperami and (not at the same time!) peanut M&Ms.

I reckon I'll carry about 4000 - 4500 calories and get through most of it, either at race pace (stop sniggering at the back) eating regularly, or taking it slower but out for 28+ hours.

Y Meals MV ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ian/Kevin for the 'win' again, or are the Chadwicks/Mr Pomfret going to put in a stronger challenge?
It is with some regret that I have to announce Mr and Mrs Chadwick have had to pull out.

Mr Pomfret said something along the lines of ... this year it's black or die trying, so he sounds quite fired up ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

My money's on Ian. He carried so little kit on the WRT this year and has since collected even lighter gear that he'll float along the whole route.

So gutted to be missing this. Got a stupid wedding on Saturday. Guess i'll have to get into the spirit and find a puddle somewhere to lay in so I can have a miserable few minutes rest.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I know what time I'll be aiming for, but I'm not saying any more than that...

Mr Dean and Mr Hill might be worth a bet too I think ;)

Nick wrote:Good luck everyone, I'm officially witdrawing on the grounds that I'm not ready to ride 200km, and I have meetings on Monday that will determine my future career and so can't afford to arrive home late on Sunday, tired and trashed.
Sorry to hear that Nick. Good luck for Monday too...
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

FLV - maps are out to bring, someone else may use them if you get sorted.

Chew - Don't see me crossing the line with Ian;-)

I have almost 8,000 calories now. Marzipan, 2 Haribo pkts, Fig Rolls, Malt Loaf, 4 energy bars, 2 gels, 1 protein bar, 1 pkt of waffles, Chilli /Rice (800cals) if I can get it heated, Starbucks double-shot coffee, salted peanuts and dark chocolate.
Do wonder if too much, the marzipan is 1,900 calories alone.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Marzipan
I read that as Temazepam ;)
alfachippy

Post by alfachippy »

All prepped and ready to go. I loaded up my bike last night with all the kit including food and water and was really happy with the set-up and weight. Last year I consumed around 4,000 cal of food and so this year I'm carrying around 4,500 cal of food and 1250ml of water so will expect to refill at least 6 times en-route!

Ian is fast, knows how to pack light and as well as the route so has to be one of the favourites this year. Kevin and Rob Dean are the other obvious contenders.

My minimum goal is to finish in less than 24 hours........to meet my highest expectation I would like to finish before it gets light........ :roll:

Thought I'd take a weight penalty and bring my shuffle this year to help me through the wee hours. I need something loud and punchy and so put on my daughters playlist (Rock / metal/ loud stuff..), which I played the other night and it worked well. It wasn't until I started playing it that I realised how relevant most of the tracks were for the BB200.... What d'ya reckon:

Business of misery
One last breath
In too deep
Slither
Monster (What's that coming over the hill)
Knocking on heaven's door
Starlight
Enter Sandman.

Sounds like a good BB200 playlist to me.... ;)

Can't wait, see you on Saturday
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ian wrote:Might also need to investigate the strange noises coming from the free hub and fit a new bottom bracket though :?
Four new springs fitted to the Hope freehub. New silky smooth BB fitted. Bearings in the front wheel completely knacked, so get that done tomorrow and I'll be sorted.

Not sure what my food calories will total, but I'll be powered most by Welsh and Eccles cakes. Also got 9 bars, Torq gels, some dark chocolate, slated cashews, some chicken, jelly babies and malt loaf.

Happy with the weather forecast too, should be able to drop the Glacier gloves and a spare fleece top.

alfachippy - what did yours weigh, all up?
alfachippy

Post by alfachippy »

Less than WRT....comfortably less...... ;)
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I will have also twice the food of alfachippy and still thinking of getting some cereal bars just in case! Maybe I need to get rid of some!

My playlist will include The Scud Mountain Boys song 'Penthouse In The Woods'
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't believe no one's loaded their ipod with 'Death Trip' by Danny Barnes ... a blue grass classic ;)
bigrobracing

Post by bigrobracing »

flatfishy wrote:90g for lights? :shock:
I know, my Exposure Revo weighs 87g, that's 3g more than anyone needs ;)
chris n

Post by chris n »

I think I'm all sorted. The bike's as good as it's going to be (rear hub and LH pedal bearings are a bit stiff, but should be ok) as long as I remember to pick up some Shimano brake pads on the way over to Wales later. All my gear is in the car, but I'll have to pack on the bike it when I get to the campsite tonight. Still need to buy food for the weekend too.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Good luck everyone! Gutted I can't ride this one but my little girl's birthday has to come first. The weather's looking kind so it should be a fantastic ride. Enjoy!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Lovely morning here in Brecon. Hoping tomorrow will be the same. Tomorrow night looks like it'll be chilly though :shock:

FLV

Post by FLV »

That looks reasonable for weather. I'm a bundle of nerves now!

I'll be camping in dolgad campsite this evening. Pop over and say hi if anybody else is there.
More than likely in my bright yellow tent next to a grey Honda accord estate,

i answer to the name Dave :D
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Good luck everyone... I'm missing out again this year :cry:

Ian - I note you haven't bothered with the weather beyond 0700 on Sunday ;)
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
gairym

Post by gairym »

Yeah, good luck folks.

Gutted to be unable to take part but definitely next year!

Will be watching everyone's Spot-thingy to see who's where and when.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Packed. ~35lb without water but with a lot of food and not enough bivvy kit to make it less miserable to stop for the night. :shock:

3 1/2 hour drive starting stupid-o-clock tomorrow morning. Seeya all about 9am. :)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Good luck folks 8-)