Whats your preferred setup?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

Whats your preferred setup?

Post by HaYWiRe »

What is your prefered choice of bikepacking bags?

Not referring to brands or specific models, although still your preference, but actually selection on type and placement on the bike?

Ive seen a few bikes lately with everything bikepacking strapped on; bar bags, pockets, stems,frames,top tube,down tube, seat tube, seat stays, seat packs....it goes on...

And looking at this 20 something collection of tiny bags i honestly started to wonder wether it was missing the point and panniers would have actually been a better and even lighter solution?

So for curiosity sake, whats your setup?
Lots of smaller organised bags or fewer larger ones?
Full frame vs partial is already an open debate but its the peripherals that rarely get discussed.

For me its this:
Road bike- bar bag, top tube, seat pack. 2 750ml bottles in frame. Tools in tiny pocket under bottles

Mtb- bar bag, front pocket, stem bags (with 2 500ml bottles), full frame bag, seat pack, packable backpack strapped on back

Whats your preference?
ScotRoutes

Re: Whats your preferred setup?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bar bag. With front pocket for easy to reach stuff.
Seatpack.
Two small top-tube bags. One at the seatpost is my tools/tube etc. One at the steerer is camera.
I've recently started using one stem/fuel bag for snacks.

That's it. No rucksack. No frame bag. This will need supplemented for longer trips.

I've also bought a Gorilla Cage for under the down tube. Not tried it yet though.

I get the point about things being easier to find if in individual bags but a regular packing system helps.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I generally try to use as few as possible but the actual number will alter depending on trip / conditions / bike.

Often, it's simply saddle-pack and bar harness and nothing else but a partial frame bag will sometimes be added. Very rare that I'll use tt bags, stem mounted bags, etc as I can't be doing with the clutter and knee-bag interface.

Sometimes, I do wonder whether people buy 'all the bags' then feel obliged to use them - finding things to put in them rather than simply leaving them at home? I suppose I take a little personal pride in not carrying much ... obviously embracing your inner tramp / masochist helps here. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Similar to Stu: it varies depending on what I'm doing, time of year, weather, etc. Some examples (as far as I can remember):

Races/ITTs
Rovaniemi winter race: everything! But then proper winter kit is bulky (a quality -30C rated sleeping bag needs a 12L dry bag for example). Bar harness & bag plus front pocket; Loop bar bag; two stem cells; full frame bag; seat bag.
BB200: Seat bag and two stem cells plus small Camelbak for water
YD200 & Peak200: Seat bag and partial frame bag.
YD300: Seat bag, partial frame bag; stem cells

General bivying and bumbling: Seat bag; bar bag; partial frame bag. In winter I'll often have a rucksack as well. I'll often use these kinds of trip to try things out so will have backup stuff just in case.

Packing tends to be along the lines of likelyhood of use so stuff I need on the trail will be in the smaller bags with bivy and spare kit in the bigger bags like the bar bag and seat bag. Emergency and repair kit is usually out of the way.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Summer setup
Front bag - sleep bag, roll matt, coreloft jacket, woolly hat
Rear bag - tarp, filter (possibly), eVent bivi bag
Frame bag - tubes n spares
Feed bag - waterproof jkt

Think the bike weighed 32 or 33lbs without water

Winter setup
Front rack - sleep bag, roll matt, batteries etc
Rear rack - spare clothing, spare gloves, spare hat etc stove, one pannier for (useless!) food
Rear seatbag - down jacket for ease of access
Frame bag - snacks, day to day stuff (lip balms etc)
Feed bag - one with bottle, one with snacks
Tri bag - phone, simply left here for ease of access to take pictures
Forks - flasks (2x 0.75L)

Bike weighed 39 LBS without kit on it! More likely to be 70LBS once food etc on it (or more than half my body weight :shock: )
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Sometimes, I do wonder whether people buy 'all the bags' then feel obliged to use them - finding things to put in them rather than simply leaving them at home?
I've found that I have all the bags and I don't have enough stuff to fill them so end up leaving some at home. I would like a front pocket that I could use for food and then I could totally ditch my backpack regardless of how many days I'm away for
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Sometimes, I do wonder whether people buy 'all the bags' then feel obliged to use them - finding things to put in them rather than simply leaving them at home? I suppose I take a little personal pride in not carrying much ... obviously embracing your inner tramp / masochist helps here. :wink:
Quite like carrying a spare feed bag so I can raid the local corner shop, but yes, can't see the point in carrying extra when you don't need it.

Just read an online article about things to take on an adventure around a trail centre, massive pump (tick) 2x C02 canister and inflater (why if you have a massive pump) and a knife (why why why??). Obviously i felt the need to correct them... :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

adventure around a trail centre
Contradiction in terms surely?
May the bridges you burn light your way
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

There are options id like to use but clearance is an issue.

On the mtb im struggling with my stem bags getting in the way, but do love carrying water there.

Both bikes have tiny frames so fitting a partial bag AND bottles is pointless, got enough room for a tube (with bottles) and thats it. Full bag was more down to using what i own.

Top tube is a must for me for riding snacks. I really like fitting one against the seatpost too but cant due to standover height so ive just taped my tube there.

My logic being i only use bar and seat bags for camp kit, rest for riding kit. Short rides i fill my pockets, long rides i use the frame and overnights use front and back.

On a side note....this is going to sound odd but does anyone actually prefer riding a loaded bike? Or just me? Just feels....stable and relaxed
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW the bag with my tools etc lives on the bike whether I'm out for an hour or for a week. I guess I barely even notice it now.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Sometimes, I do wonder whether people buy 'all the bags' then feel obliged to use them
Well, as seen in my initial answer I do have nearly "all the bags" but having got here via fell running and before that climbing, I've learnt to appreciate taking as little as possible. I don't think I'd be able to move across the living room floor if I carried all my climbing gear for example. It does take a bit of trial and error to home in on what you (as an individual) need in any particular set of circumstances.

Head over to UK Climbing and see the kit (and associated rucksacks) some there think you need for a trip to the gritstone edges in the Peak, so it's not just bikepacking.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

There's no question that more space encourages carrying more stuff

I quite like having a few more bags as it makes kit organisation a bit easier. It gives space if you really want it, but it makes finding things and putting them away after a bit easier

Recently been using seat pack, half frame bag, 2 two tube bags (seatpost and stem) plus bar bag and pocket

Still have a bit of space in each of them but I can put stuff away and find it again easily

One other minor factor is I'm tall so my sleeping bag, mat and bivy bag are all in a long version. Also struggle with small 1 person tarps as they're often not long enough. It's a tiny weight addition but also a bulk addition
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I only ride a loaded bike these days. Use a bar bag for my lunch and uniform while commuting and I'm to lazy to keep taking the harness on and off so if I'm out on the trails I'll just stuff a sleeping bag on the bars to fill the harness.

Looking at sticking a rack on my road bike and using that for commuting though, it'll save the hassle of fitting the dry bag twice a day and then I get my mtb back for fun times!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Blair512 wrote:Looking at sticking a rack on my road bike and using that for commuting though, it'll save the hassle of fitting the dry bag twice a day and then I get my mtb back for fun times!
I've an Ortlieb 4 litre saddle bag https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Saddle-Bag/ for commuting, it uses a mounting bracket on the saddle rails and just clicks on and off in a couple of seconds. Helps that I can leave most of my work clothes at work so only have to take minimal stuff.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Never liked having extra bags and pockets just incase, i occasionally take a backpack but thats only for food on trips where i dont intend on carrying any i.e eating out/shop raiding.

One thing that is always needed personally for extra kit is bungie cords, i have them everywhere! and they can carry a fair amount of overflow, eithèr food or clothes i cant be bothered to properly pack away
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I bet you're the sort of person who would have their mug hanging off their rucksack when hiking
:|
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

whitestone wrote:
Blair512 wrote:Looking at sticking a rack on my road bike and using that for commuting though, it'll save the hassle of fitting the dry bag twice a day and then I get my mtb back for fun times!
I've an Ortlieb 4 litre saddle bag https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Saddle-Bag/ for commuting, it uses a mounting bracket on the saddle rails and just clicks on and off in a couple of seconds. Helps that I can leave most of my work clothes at work so only have to take minimal stuff.
I like the look of that, would you fit a polo shirt, a pair of trousers and an average sized lunchbox in it? Would save me some filling trying to get my old rack to match up to the holes on my bike!
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

ScotRoutes wrote:I bet you're the sort of person who would have their mug hanging off their rucksack when hiking
:lol: First road tour I ever done I had a mug with a carabineer for a handle that hung on my rear rack collecting road spray all day!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Blair512 wrote:
whitestone wrote:
I like the look of that, would you fit a polo shirt, a pair of trousers and an average sized lunchbox in it? Would save me some filling trying to get my old rack to match up to the holes on my bike!
I get a Topeak Mountain Morph pump, waterproof top, t-shirt, wallet and phone not packed very well in there with plenty of space left over - I can put a gilet and leg warmers in as well. It's a tapered shape so I don't think the lunchbox will fit.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ScotRoutes wrote:I bet you're the sort of person who would have their mug hanging off their rucksack when hiking
This needs to go into the swear filter as a correction to tw@ or such like :lol:

Best insult I've seen as of late :-bd
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

It depends. I'm not a fan of 1 setup for every ride, even if that approach would save me a lot off pre-ride faffing. I'm also still learning and expect I will continue to 'optimise' my setup (= faff about with different ideas) for as long as I continue to ride...

Being a hobbit and having to fit everything into a small frame never helps either, but it does mean I tend to go minimal.

However, these are great examples of really focussed, race-winning 'rigs' for very different rides:

Mike Halls TD setup:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/fastest-bike-at ... les-29er/2

Jesse Jakomait's CTR setup:
http://bikepacker.com/jesse-jakomait-ne ... rd-holder/

But the great thing is, there is no right answer, as the race results also reflect - take a look at previous winners of these events and you'll find some very different approaches.
Ian

Post by Ian »

voodoo_simon wrote:
This needs to go into the swear filter as a correction to tw@ or such like :lol:

Both these comments are a bit harsh. Using bungie cords to lash stuff down is hardly an offence :|

Play nicely people :roll:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Ian wrote:
voodoo_simon wrote:

Both these comments are a bit harsh. Using bungie cords to lash stuff down is hardly an offence :|

Play nicely people :roll:
Oops, sorry. Wasn't aiming my comments at Haywire, so apologies if it was taken the wrong way :oops:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

As others have said it really depends.

But in general I like to have food to hand do stem cells are well worth their weight.

There is a trade off between being slowed by extra weight and being quicker because you can get the stuff you need quicker.
slarge

Post by slarge »

There can be a fair amount of weight in just the bags. If you have a couple of stem cells, bar bag, frame bag, seat pack thats around 1-1.5kg before you add the contents.

The optimum setup I found is seat pack, bar bag, top tube bag, partial frame bag, and then a camelback, but now I am trying to ditch the camelback and just have a 500mL bottle on the frame. For longer trips I will probably add a 300mL bottle that is collapsible but gets used as a backup bottle.

It is horses for courses, but some setups are clearly intended for comfort not speed. Every kilo carried makes every hill a bit harder....