BPWD Lair - Revisited

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

BPWD Lair - Revisited

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Lair from BPWD is one of my favourite shelters/tarps. I've been using the 'standard' version for over a year and it's proven to be everything you could want, light, roomy and quick to set up. This version is different, firstly it has an extended and zippered front vestibule, it has a rear vent and it also has a sewn in midge netting floor and door.

Although the main dimensions are shared by both versions pitching them is very different. The standard one is pretty idiot proof, this one isn't as easy. I imagined that a pole of the same length would work for both ... wrong, this one requires a shorter pole for a tight pitch. When pitching the standard version I find that it goes up easily if you 'pitch it from the rear' and tension everything towards the front ... this one's the opposite way round.

Now I've got grips with it I'll try it in anger and report back but I'm already thinking that something that falls between the two designs would be ideal ;)

Closed down and zipped up.

One half of the vestibule open and net door undone.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Brothersmith

Re: BPWD Lair - Revisited

Post by Brothersmith »

Intresting you found same issues with Silnylon version as I have with the Cuban one Stu. I thought it was down to the Cuban meaning I couldn't get a taught pitch.

Running a shorter pole has helped a lot and I find 120cm works well (John from BPWD suggests 130) and takes most the flap out the door which is the problem area for me. I have run it as low as 105 which leads to a super low profile and taught pitch but you loose the height from the sides and limits your usable room.

Pitching lessons I took from you so I doubt I can tell you anything new, but I now pitch rear corners then insert pole and stake door to hold it. I then work back from door pulling everything taught, and repegging rear corners if needed, remaining slack is taken out by centre rear pegging point. This often means I have a gap between ground and tarp at this point if pole set at 120cm, but it aids ventilation.

Zip on door a good move. Mine has Velcro which is a pain in the arse to get in and out of :x