what size cassette and chainset on your bike???

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Fat tyre kicker

Re: what size cassette and chainset on your bike???

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Sorry, I edited that, meant 64 bcd :oops:
jameso

Post by jameso »

ianfitz wrote:
Fat tyre kicker wrote:As a matter of interest what 28t 104bcd chainrings ( not single) are people using ?
I didn't think there was anything smaller than 30 that would fit on 104?
Correct. I mentioned 104 MTB doubles using a 26 or 28 where I should have said 104-64 - ie std Shimano 4-arm MTB doubles.
Al

Post by Al »

My knees weren't too keen on the single front ring anymore with loaded bike.
Now running 36/22 with 10speed 11-36 cassette on my 29er. It'll climb anything- I love it :-bd
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

rudedog wrote: Edinburgh so most of my rides are in the Pentlands. Managed all the way up puke hill on it (its pretty steep)
That's good going, you must be strong or light....or both!

Chris
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

28t on the front for 1x with a 42 on the back. 30 is OK but a bit big for those long hauls at the end of the day. Currently also got 28 on the front of the fat bike but its also a bit big. 26 or 24 would be better as I don't feel the need to pedal the fatty up to 20mph! When the kramp was last 2 x 9 I had a 20 on the front (to 34) which was a fab gear - would get you up anything. A mate has 1x10 22 to 11-36. He doesn't miss the higher gears. Err on the side of low - there are times on the fatty when a 20 - 42 would be quite useful.....
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

I use a 20t Mountain Goat Stambecco inner with an 11-36 cassette, it means you have to modify the cranks a little by filing some material from the inner tabs on XT crank to get it to work but it's worth the effort. I have a 34t outer which means I don't use the 20t much but when I do I'm glad it's there. It might be a low gear for some but it's only very brief occasions and mainly road where I run out of top end gears but these days especially for multi-day bikepacking the lower the better.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Never even thought about it :shock:

I think no matter what you have there will always be a hill that will have you pushing the shifter hoping for just one more gear :-bd