Windproofs ???

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Windproofs ???

Post by Adventurer »

I'm looking for a lightweight Windproof but at the moment I'm finding it difficult to find one that suits my needs.

I have a buffalo wind shirt (no insulation) and I like the side vents but I can still overheat in it sometimes.
I have a endura pakagilet http://www.endurasport.com/products/?Pr ... de=E9095BK
I really like this as it's very lightweight and use it a lot for cycling but no good if your arms get a bit chilly.

I don't really want a soft shell type of fabric as I find them too heavy and don't compress down well for packing.

I would like a Windproof jacket that is made out of a type of polyester, pertex material that packs down small and lightweight. I would like the sleeves to be removable to convert into a gilet, to aid with ventilation if too hot. Side vents would also be good but I think I'm asking for too much.

I can only find gilets and jackets but nothing that combines the two types of design.

I think my ideal garment would be a buffalo wind shirt but with removable sleeves.

Any thoughts and does anyone know if there is such a garment available? Thanks .
Fat tyre kicker

Re: Windproofs ???

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I'm interested in this too, I have a Buffalo windshirt and a Paramo Fuera which
Both pack small, for colder times I have a Paramo Torres with separate sleeves
( looks a bit weird at first but works well) but it is too warm to ride in most of the time...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

IIRC Endura used to do one, as did Gore. But we're talking 10 years ago.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I too have a paramo waterproof smock and it's ideal for cooler weather but at the moment I find I need to remove it even with the vents open and sleeves up and put my endura gilet on with arm warmers.

I would like now to carry an ultralight waterproof (I use a OMM one) and to carry a Windproof that can convert into a gilet when needed, but pack down small when not needed. A soft shell Windproof is too bulky and heavy I find for out on the bike if you are not wearing it.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Why not just carry a very light wind vest and not worry about the sleeves? If your arms get cold - put on arm-warmers with a Roubaix lining. Job solved.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

GregMay wrote:Why not just carry a very light wind vest and not worry about the sleeves? If your arms get cold - put on arm-warmers with a Roubaix lining. Job solved.

This is what I already do.

However I find sometimes it's a little too cool with the gilet and arm warmers and would like to cover up the arms with some wind proof sleeves.
I also find that arm warmers only go to your armpits and no higher and there is normally a gap between them and the gilet so find the tops of my arms/shoulders a bit chilly.

At the moment I wear my paramo smock, get warm, open all the vents, get too warm and take it off and put on my gilet and then get too cool later on.

I only wear a alpkit Merino wool t shirt with arm warmers under the paramo smock.

I would just like a windproof that's more adaptable to me getting warm and cold during the ride without having to keep stopping and changing complete tops on and off and carrying more garments that's really required.

I could always try adapting my buffalo windshirt by putting some zips on the arms. But it's an expensive gamble with my sewing machine skills.

I wonder if there is somewhere where I could send it for alterations??
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I use an Endura pakajak as my windshirt, advertised as waterproof and holds up well in rain given its price and pack size, its not perfect but ive grown attached to it.

Its not the most breathable under hard effort but ive found if im working that hard then the steam coming off my skin keeps the wind at bay and dont need anything more than my longsleeve baselayer.

Hey it keeps the wind out, so cheap you dont worry too much about it (though mine has survived a few crashes unscathed) and keeps a bit of drissle out too, bargain! :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find the OMM Sonic smock does a great job of keeping the wind out. It's got a fairly long front zip and I can just about pull the sleeves up comfortably, so I find there's just enough venting without having to stop and remove it.

For me, part of the appeal of a windshirt is the low weight / bulk - once you start adding zips and vents, I figure I might just as well wear a lightweight hardshell waterproof.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Montane Featherlite smock perhaps? Packs down to the size of an apple and comes in ~100g mark. Sleeves could be modded for removal, as could side vents.

Greetz

S.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Aldi ultralight windproof jacket, t-shirt & 2 pairs of arm warmers.
May you always have tail wind.
Morebikes

Post by Morebikes »

Pearl Izumi do an Elite Barrier Convertible Jacket.
I used to have one a few years ago, but lost one sleeve!
Looks like the sleeves are in one piece now though.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

This thing doesn't really fit your detailed requirements, however, I tend to be pretty hot&sweaty and have found this to be a good jacket. It's light and compact, sheds rain and most wind but doesn't particularly insulate like a jacket made of heavier fabric might. Maybe that's why it works for me :???:

http://www.hopetech.com/product/shell-jacket/

Made of pertex, probably the only thing you asked for.

:cool:
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Rab vapour rise would fit your bill - here's a link to a review
https://www.verticalgear.co.uk/rab-vapo ... et-review/
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I find the OMM Sonic smock does a great job of keeping the wind out. It's got a fairly long front zip and I can just about pull the sleeves up comfortably, so I find there's just enough venting without having to stop and remove it.

For me, part of the appeal of a windshirt is the low weight / bulk - once you start adding zips and vents, I figure I might just as well wear a lightweight hardshell waterproof.
Second vote for the Sonic from me. I think on balance it's my favourite bit of cycling clothing. Worn it to death. Packs down to a tiny size.

Stu's review of it was also what first brought me to this place. :-bd
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Thanks for all the advise

I was looking at the OMM sonic jacket v montane UL 7 jacket.

Decided on OMM sonic jacket rather than smock as I want a bit less faff getting it in an off with the helmet on.

Would really have liked red but yellow will have to do.

See how I get on.