New Revelate Gas Tank

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

New Revelate Gas Tank

Post by AlasdairMc »

The new Revelate Gas Tank has been announced - the Mag Tank.

I'm divided on it - I need a new top tube bag, and this is the newest on the market, with a top flap instead of a zip.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.c ... it/Magtank

This design seems to be a deal breaker for me in Scotland, as it's not completely waterproof, especially as I tend to use a top tube bag for charging gubbins and so on. Thoughts?
fatbikephil

Re: New Revelate Gas Tank

Post by fatbikephil »

Depends what you keep in it I guess. I often keep tools and other spares odds and ends in my gas tank - I'd worry that as the flap doesn't seal the pouch odds and ends will fall out... Eric seems to be making a big thing of one handed opening whilst on the move as the fuel cells now have a revised drawcord to aid this.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's where I tend to have my camera. I can see the advantage of easy (one-handed) opening but I'm also a bit paranoid about wet getting in.

Maybe it needs a wee waterproof cover that can be folded out of the way on a nice day (I have an old Topeak with that feature)
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Not sure what Eric is up to, but I'm not impressed with this (nor the latest Gas Tanks with the pants spacer at the front). I'd seen one on Lael's Baja bike and thought it might be good, but now I've seen the specs, I'm not sold. I get to carry an extra ounce of weight for a smaller bag? I don't think so.

My early 2014 Gas Tank was vaguely exciting...my late 2016 one has none of the forward stability that made the earlier model so good. I'd rather rub the anodising off the stem bolts and have a steady bag on the top tube than have a bag that wobbles about, which this current crop are very good at (the Mag will do it too).

If you're like me, you carry a few thin items in your Gas Tank, stacked vertically. When I want the phone, I open the left zipper and slide it out. If I'm looking to lose yesterdays lunch, I'll open the right zipper and slide out the shitshovel and wipes. Stuff in the middle stays covered. That's not going to fly on the Mag Tank - you have to expose the entire contents to the elements to get at the left side.

Possibly good in an environment which is mostly devoid of liquid sunshine, which last time I looked, was a long way from here.

[Edit: not vaguely exciting, but A W E S O M E...but hey ho...the filters around here are weird]

Greetz

S.
Last edited by Scattamah on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Particularly like the air scoop at the front. Seems custom made to aid ingress of moisture.
Mind you same applies to Fuel Pod. The feed through for cables and is on top facing forward.
All they need to do is move it to a vertical position so cables have to rise up creating a natural drip loop or on the side pointing backwards.
Sorry didn't mean to go off on one. :oops:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I too have the Topeak with the folding waterproof cover (should get round to selling that I suppose!), I upgraded to the Alpkit one and then the Revelate Gas Tank

While I get that it might not be suitable for UK where it can be fairly wet, it's there as another option, not instead of the gas tank. So for some riders in reliably warm/dry conditions it's a good option

Personally I'll stick with the zips, which aren't waterproof but do a reasonable job of being water resistant when mobile (I find water gets in if you leave it in the open during a rainy night)
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

benp1 wrote:...(I find water gets in if you leave it in the open during a rainy night)
And that is why everything that requires it is in a zip lock bag inside your Gas Tank. :)

All Revelate gear is like this (and I suspect every other bag maker too except perhaps for Ortlieb?). It'll keep the elements out for a certain amount of time, but in time you'll end up with moisture ingress. I'd love the Viscacha to be properly waterproof so I didn't have to worry about bagging stuff again, but it seems that's not about to happen overnight.

And now, back to the Mag chat.

Greetz

S.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

One important thing you've all missed. With the zips you can unzip just the front part to securely hold a bag of peanut m&m's
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

All Revelate gear is like this (and I suspect every other bag maker too except perhaps for Ortlieb?)
The newer bags are made to be waterproof. I'm actually now preferring the separate dry bag versions anyway, which resolve the issue.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Ta for the note the Rev. stuff is supposed to be waterproof now. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Greetz

S.
Backcountrybiking

Post by Backcountrybiking »

Just a quicky, the current model of the Gas tank will still be available, for those peeps that want it. I do agree about the change of the forward securing strap being a step backward, but it does work on a lot more styles of velo's
Andy
http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire