When self experimentation goes wrong - or does it?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

When self experimentation goes wrong - or does it?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Please be aware that nothing here has any bearing on anything and the only thing it proves is my own stupidity.

I've been experimenting with various 'diet' related things this year and I thought I'd give 'fasted riding' a go. I'm not one of those people who needs to continually eat while out, so I wondered whether I might have a reasonable tolerance for it.

No food since Thursday evening, when I ate a low carb meal (I forget quite what) ... So, yesterday's ride started with nothing other than tea. The first 30-odd km were okay and I felt as I expected to feel. Stopped for a brew and turned round. The second 30-odd km was noticeably harder. The terrain was similar as was the amount of ascent and by the time I finished, I felt noticably more fatigued than I really should have ... the fact is, I felt fatigued and after 65km and 1100m of ascent (albeit off-road), I really shouldn't have.

I had an evening meal following the ride of steamed salmon, mushrooms, onion and courgette with a decent handful of rice. I also felt quite tired all evening which is unusual.

This morning, I got up and again started to ride without eating. Within the first 5km the perceived effort required was way higher than expected. The remaining 35km saw a steady decline in absolutely everything. The last 3km were on virtually flat tarmac but even slight inclines (and I mean slight) had me clicking down through the gears. It's fair to say that by the time I'd finished, I didn't feel very well and I think a full blown bonk was probably only 10km or so away.

Returned home (not feeling well) and made a toasted bacon and cheese butty. Within 15 minutes of eating it, the pain in my legs had gone and I felt pretty much back to normal.

As I say, the above proves nothing at all but I thought you may like to laugh and point :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Re: When self experimentation goes wrong - or does it?

Post by jameso »

That's a long hilly ride for fasted state if you're not used to it! If you do them 1x a week for a while and stay at a moderate pace it does have benefits, or seems to, but I'd rarely be out for more than 2hrs on easy rolling hills in the morning w/o anything to eat.
psling

Post by psling »

Aren't fasted rides only meant to be for an hour or so?
(Having said that, sounds like most of my rides!!)
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yea but ... if an hour or two's good, surely six hours will be three times as good :-bd

In all seriousness, I'll always ride for a miniumum of two hours without eating anything unless I know it'll be a big day and refuel will be limited.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Nope, nope and nope

12g to 15g of carbohydrate every 30 mins after the first hour of exercise, first hour is always after meal of atleast 60g of carbohydrate.
This just plain works for me and keeps me gling for hours, every 60gs i eat (or every 2 hours) i evaluate blood glucose (inject if needed) and repeat.

I followed the trend and went 3 months of high fat low carb (as low as doable on insulin injections) and felt like crap and lost a ton of weight.
Maybe I'm odd but i feel best when i "Carb the F**k up" listen to your body, it knows best! So back to my afformentiomed routine.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nope, nope and nope
Remember, I never said 'this' proves anything or even attempts to, 'twas simply an exercise in seeing what happens :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ok so you're used to it then, maybe just a bit too far? We're supposed to have 2hrs at high effort's worth of carbs stored in muscles for 8-10hrs after eating - ie if you ate plenty of carbs the night before! - so if you were above fat-burning pace I think some energy comes from muscle break-down, which (if correct) might explain the fatigue.

Talking diets and not sure if this is covered in the fatfighters thread, but I've heard of ketosis (-onics?) allowing people to burn fat effectively enough do 600km Audaxes on empty. Myth or possible, I'm not sure.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've heard of ketosis
I think I'm often on the border-line if that's possible but pushing through seems to be a very unpleasant experience. However, it's all interesting stuff that requires investigation. :wink:
so if you were above fat-burning pace I think some energy comes from muscle break-down, which (if correct) might explain the fatigue.
Now, that makes sense - quads in particular were really not happy and no amount of looking at my bear sticker seemed to help.
I've heard of ketosis (-onics?) allowing people to burn fat effectively enough do 600km Audaxes on empty. Myth or possible, I'm not sure.
I don't know about 600km but it certainly seems to work for Tony (Lawmanmx).
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Stu, if you broke your food down into protein/carbs/fats im convinced you were waaaaay too low on fats! its the most comon mistake in LcHf way of eating, up your fats intake by at least double and you will see a big improvement, i have rode fasted with no problems at all and i have also fatigued when my previous fats intake was too low, its getting a good balance that will sort it, you may also be lacking in certain minerals E.g magnesium and potassium, anyhoo, ive found fasted rides only work if your last few meals were of very high fat content, the energy has to come from somewhere!
also, (i have found) by taking an Emergency butter lump and coconut lump out with me then a coffee somewhere with them added will bring you back to life quite sharpish :) i know 'some on here' will beg to differ BUT its what i have found to work, and after all butter n coconut is a massive amount of calories quickly boosted into your system by the coffee :-bd
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Last Wed ride - 77.2km with 1193 meters climbing of which 201 meters was max in 5:19:59hrs.
All done on 1 sachet of porridge made with milk an instant coffee and a blackcurrent slice and americano at halfway.
Was home in time for meeting with garden designer and contractor and felt pretty normal for me.
Think I walked into town after.
I also use the 5:2 diet and find it better in the gym on fasting days.
70 next birthday so dont let on or they will stop me riding my bike. :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

How far can you cycle while holding your breath?

Should make you more efficient at processing oxygen? :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How far can you cycle while holding your breath?
Next week :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Surely one of the many benefits of cycling is that you can eat hugely and continuously without blowing up like a balloon?! well done for trying but my motto is always 'EAT MORE FOOD!' or something
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Bacon makes any day 100% betterer.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

jam bo wrote:Bacon makes any day 100% betterer.

THIS! :mrgreen: