Trail trainers for flats?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Anthony

Trail trainers for flats?

Post by Anthony »

Seeing as my Lynskey will now be built purely for bikepacking duites and short rides with my young son, I'm contemplating some flats for the first time in 15yrs+.

The pedals aren't the issue, its footwear. I don't really fancy a pair of skate style shoes and would prefer something more trail based like the Salomon trainers I'm used to.

My concern isn't so much grip, but stiffness of sole. Several hours in the saddle with trainers is going to cause foot pain? The pedals I fancy don't have a particularly big platform.

Can any1 recommend a stiff sole trail shoe?

Cheers Anthony.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Trail trainers for flats?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now, I can't actually recommend you any shoes without saying the name 5:10 ... I can say that the biggest issue most people encounter when going (back) to flats, is foot placement. When clipped in, the ball of your foot is pretty much over your pedal axle. If you ride anything 'rough' with your foot in this position on flats you'll end up with a weak ankle which will lead to your foot slipping off the back of the pedal.

Place your foot 1" to 1.5" further forward on the pedal. Whilst it'll feel a little strange at first, it'll keep your feet where you want them.

What pedals are you thinking?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

£30, sealed bearings with grease port, cnc platform, 230g.

Wellgo M142.

Not an obvious choice, but for my requirements they actually look perfect.

I've now a Titus (with spd's) for shitsngiggles so the 69er is for less 'intense' riding!
gairym

Post by gairym »

I've been using flats for the entire 17+ years I've ridden mountain bikes and think it's way better (assuming you don't mind the slight power loss) especially for your knees (which is why I don't ride SPD's).

I always used to use old skate shoes as they're tough soled but they're also really heavy (especially when wet) and so now I ride in fell-running shoes.

I've had three pairs of Inov8 trainers and I love 'em!!!

They've got amazing grip (because they're for off-road running!) which helps when you're off the bike (unlike silly SPD shoes which are useless off the bike - even MTB ones).

They're light (crazy light!) and come in either regular or Goretex waterproof.

They come up on Sportpursuit.co.uk every now and then if you're looking to spend as little as possible.

I can highly recommend the Roclite 315's (I'm wearing a pair right now).

Welcome back to flats!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Cheers Gairy, that's what I wanted to hear, I have 3 pairs of Salomon trail running shoes already :)

No noticeable problems with the flexy sole? (Going from sidi race shoes which r um, stiff!)
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Like Gairy I've had Inov8s (only as fell shoe for MMs - not ridden offroad with them) and they are great.
The ones I have seem to last well (the soles stay on!), weigh next to nothing and must have pretty stiff midsole to cope with the rough terrain I've been across in them... they seem to stick like sh1t to a blanket to anything underfoot so I'm sure they be fine on flats!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/