Grips

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sillybigfella

Grips

Post by sillybigfella »

I had a nasty fall recently and whacked my head (quite badly). Upon waking, I found I had bought a 29er singlespeed. With the shock, I fell over again, but once I awoke, it seemed I had replaced the suspension forks with rigid forks.

Anyway, I regress...

Can anyone recommend some decent grips? Having done the CRC enduro event in Ruthin at the weekend, my wrists and hands were aching afterwards. I was thinking of getting some Ergon GS1's, or something similar.

Any other suggestions?
I’ve been abart a bit
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Grips

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any other suggestions?
Front tyre and handlebars will usually have a greater effect than grips.
May the bridges you burn light your way
zigrat

Post by zigrat »

ESI Chunky's - think Charlie the Bikemongers now stocking them.
PS - the black ones seem to last longest !
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

ESI chunky here too, very nice

I recently switched to mary bars on my rigid bike to and they seem much better for my wrists than the easton ea70 that I had on it before...I have had to put up with lots of shopping basket and mary poppins slagging though

Also 2.4 ardent front tyre (26" on mine) nice and soft
royAB

Post by royAB »

GP1 BioKork & Marys have sorted my grip problems - used to get numb fingers with 'tube' grips no matter how absorbent. I think it's a factor of both the change in wrist angle the bars give together with the wide 'platform' rest for the hand with the GP1s. Setup seems less tiring to ride too...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How do these ESI chunky grips measure up diameter wise? They look good but the word 'chunky' puts me off slightly as I'm not blessed with the biggest hands in the world ... I notice they do some thinner ones too.

EDIT: I've just discovered that they're 32mm diameter when fitted and the 'race' version is 30mm.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

I use the GS1's on my 29er. I get on with them really well, after a small amount of fine-tuning to the angle. As others have said, front tyre volume (and pressure) can make a different to front end comfort, as can the bars. I use Ragley Carnegies which have an angle much more in line with the natural angle of your wrist.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

yeah they aint exactly chunky more just normal

the hole is off centre in the grip too placing more of the padding against your palm
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

I use GP1 Biocorks on my long distance bike & they were a revelation. I've stopped using gloves on that bike as the grips are so comfy & supportive on their own, and that's on a rigid bike. Ragley Carnegie bars help too.

I've also used ESI Chunkies for a couple of years & quite like them for regular riding & more technical stuff. Stu, they're not very chunky! Just comfy (imho)!
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

Thanks guys. I've ordered some oury mountain grips from on-one as a starting point. I did run the tyre pressure pretty high on Sunday as it was hard and dry underfoot, so I'll deffo drop the pressure next weekend.
I’ve been abart a bit