Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pirahna

Re: Rant - Leave no Trace

Post by Pirahna »

GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sharing spots with people you trust is one thing. Posting them on the web for millions to see, some of whom will likely be cockwombles is very different. You can't do that and then wonder why littering, vandalism, confrontation and general over use becomes a problem.
Completely agree with you Stu - no different than showing people cheeky trails. All feels a bit Royston Vasey some times, but it works to keep trails and locals in a semi decent state.

Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ianfitz wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I miss all the good stuff! Any highlights?!
Not very exciting but it went thus;

Bloke posts pics of a night inside what is quite obviously a hide.

Another bloke asks for details, thinking it was a bothy.

Third bloke, says "go and find it yourself because that's part of the fun"

Some blokes take offence at this and say it shouldn't have been posted if he wasn't willing to share - remember, never show these blokes a pic of your girl / boy friend.

I say, "leave him alone, he went out and kindly shared his pics, you don't now own him and yeah, go and find it yourself"

Some blokes are now dischuffed and decide to search the internet and post up details to where they think said hide is - I assume in an effort to prove how good they are with Google.

I congratulate them on f**king things up in a matter of minutes.

Doesn't go down well ...

One bloke leaves some blokes and says that you shouldn't be stopping in hides anyway as it's naughty and someone might find you and tell your dad.

Before I can type FFS, post gets pulled and all blokes, wonder off to moan about something else.

:-bd
I spotted that discussion and chuckled because the the bloke who posted the picture also went on that trip with a Chap who is well know in ultra distance circles. The chap tweeted similar pictures of thir trip. And, when someone asked, also the name of the nature park the bird hide is in. The strava gpx of the ride was also available

So the info is usually out there...
An upshot of all this shenanigans (after some investigation) means I may well now know the location of a bothy that I never knew existed, just got to cycle out there and see if it's where I believe it is.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

just got to cycle out there and see if it's where I believe it is.
And then you'll let us know where it is? Right? :wink:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

mechanicaldope wrote:
just got to cycle out there and see if it's where I believe it is.
And then you'll let us know where it is? Right? :wink:
OK, no probs :wink: .
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Ray Young wrote:
An upshot of all this shenanigans (after some investigation) means I may well now know the location of a bothy that I never knew existed, just got to cycle out there and see if it's where I believe it is.
Scottish winter bivvy '17? :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Blair512 wrote:
Ray Young wrote:
Don't forget to trash the place, got to keep up some form of standards these days :grin:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

voodoo_simon wrote:
Blair512 wrote:
Ray Young wrote:
Don't forget to trash the place, got to keep up some form of standards these days :grin:
It's built of wood, we can burn it to toast marshmallows.......................................B-( , ow, what was that for?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I assume this is what you were talking about when you referred to the Gerber axe in your original post Simon?

I liked this sentence too - "Camping is commonly the method for sleeping, but those who are creatures of comfort can enjoy a proper bed in hostels and B&B's along the way". I can see the look on the proprietor's face when you plonk your axe down on the table at breakfast :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Good find! I did ask her about 'leave no trace' but she didn't understand. Also asked if Gerber had given her the axe but she avoided answering the question directly!

I got the impression that in the pictures she used for the arcticle and looking at her setup, so may have taken the B+B option (or got someone else to carry her kit) :wink:
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Sorry to bring this back, but on the 'Mountain Bothies UK' fb page* there's currently a post about a guy staying in a "bothy" that turned out to be someone's house?! :lol: :shock:

Not sure if the link will let you through if you aren't a member https://www.facebook.com/groups/3821949 ... et&fref=nf But there's electric lights and everything in the house..! Seems the owner saw the funny side luckily.

*it's not an official MBA group but there's a lot of MO's and the like in there.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

^^^
Wasn't someone called Dan that posted that?
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Update on the bothy 'house' - a previously derelict outdoors centre that had been bought privately. It was unlocked, and the generator was off and it had a visitor's book, and had been an unofficial shelter so I guess that makes a bit more sense :D
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Yorlin wrote:Update on the bothy 'house' - a previously derelict outdoors centre that had been bought privately. It was unlocked, and the generator was off and it had a visitor's book, and had been an unofficial shelter so I guess that makes a bit more sense :D
That's a lot less exciting than the 'breaking and entering' it sounded like initially.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

AlasdairMc wrote:
Yorlin wrote:Update on the bothy 'house' - a previously derelict outdoors centre that had been bought privately. It was unlocked, and the generator was off and it had a visitor's book, and had been an unofficial shelter so I guess that makes a bit more sense :D
That's a lot less exciting than the 'breaking and entering' it sounded like initially.
Most definitely! The post and pics on facebook certainly gave the impression they were in someone's house. Not very dramatic, and my bad for posting before I had all the info. It was a good story while it lasted though! :oops:
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ray Young wrote: An upshot of all this shenanigans (after some investigation) means I may well now know the location of a bothy that I never knew existed, just got to cycle out there and see if it's where I believe it is.
All part of the fun of finding new places - I've become quite adept at piecing together info from multiple sources to validate my finds :ugeek:
Usually clues in photos and blogs etc when collated can add up to lead you to where to look

There are a few bothies that I know exist (seen pictures) that I have not found out yet .... the hunt continues!
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

the hunt continues!
and that Mart, is part of the fun. Having someone hold your hand and lead you to the door, ultimately detracts from the whole experience and devalues it :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I went out and found the bothy Ray alludes to (with helpful clues provided), but ensured I arrived at it from the other side so I didn't show a turning point on my Strava track. The exploration, mainly carrying my fat bike through tussocks and across bog, was actually better than the bothy itself, but it was a worthwhile trip anyway.

Definitely agree on the exploration point, it's part of the fun. Riding along sheep tracks hoping they don't peter out into nothing is a good way to spend a Sunday...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

AlasdairMc wrote:...carrying my fat bike through tussocks and across bog, was actually better than the bothy itself...
Hmmm. You're not really selling it to me.... :???:
May you always have tail wind.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

That's kind of the point :-)