One for the Stooge owners

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Brothersmith

One for the Stooge owners

Post by Brothersmith »

Right, I have a Ti stooge. My aim is that it should be the one bike for all with just a change of wheels. I have it dialled for trail duties with 27.5 x 3.0 rear and 27.5 x3.8 front. However this is a wee bit draggy for bike-packing, so I tried it set up with a trail-blazer 2.8 rear and VeeMax Fatty 3.0 front. I loved the cush but it just didn't feel as efficient as 29".

So question is, would things improve with a less aggressive front tyre like a WTB ranger. Or is it better set up as 29" rear and 29+ front. I have the rims to set up either combo but being a short ass 29" rear doesn't give me a lot of clearance for a seatpack.

Not wanting to spend a fortune on tyres I would be interested to know how you guys run your stooges (should a collective of Stooges be called a Stoogi :ugeek: ) for bike-packing
ctznsmith

Re: One for the Stooge owners

Post by ctznsmith »

Brothersmith wrote:(should a collective of Stooges be called a Stoogi :ugeek: )
No.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If I know there's going to be some distance and long days involved, I run it as a 29er with unfashionably skinny 2.2" tyres ... this is when it's at its fastest.

If I know there'll be lots of technical stuff and speed isn't important, I'll run b+ with a 3" up front and a 2.8" at the rear ... MK1 frame so limited to 2.8".

In winter I'll stick a 3" tyre on a 29" Dually rim up front and leave the b+ in the back or the skinny 29er.

So there you go, no help whatsoever.

I'm thinking that after skinny tyred 29er, the most efficient feeling set-up would be B+ with a 2.8" front and rear - Maybe a pair of Rangers?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I run my Stooge as a 29er with a 3in Chronicle up front. Not very draggy at all. However, I do most long distance stuff on my Swift because it seems slightly more suitable, despite also having a 3in front tyre. Maybe it's because it's got gears.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

29er with 2.4 front 2.2 rear but I also run RS forks which limit tyre size.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I have two Stooges at the moment.

Steel Mk1 SS is 29+ up front with a Chronicle on a Hugo, 29er rear with a 2.2 Nic on a Crest. Very whippy and agile, I really love it. The big front, small rear makes it really good for just throwing around.
Ti (29+ version) has Vee Trax Fattys both ends on Flows, although having put a hole in the rear Fatty I'm going to go with a smaller tyre, perhaps a 2.35 Nic or similar.

I've previously run a Knard/Flow up front on another mk1 (which was foolishly sold when I got the Ti) and it's a nice tyre for dry and hard pack. It comes up pretty big compared to the Fatty, and I'm going to do some swapping around as follows:

Steel - Knard/Flow front, 2.2 Nic/Crest rear
Ti - Chronicle/Hugo front, 2.35 Nic/Flow rear.

The front wheel on the Ti (dynamo) will be retained for special occasions, but I'm tempted to get a wider rim than the Flow it currently sports so I can comfortably put a bigger tyre on. The Hugo would be ideal I think, but I frankly have far too many wheels spare at the moment.

No plans to go b+ either, mainly for storage reasons!
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Thanks folks

ctznsmith, Should of guessed :lol:
Mariner wrote:29er with 2.4 front 2.2 rear but I also run RS forks which limit tyre size.
I thought you could be burnt at the steak for putting FS on a Stooge :wink:
I used to run my Fargo in this set up though (minus the FS), it was good but defiantly not as capable as plus on the front.

Looks like 29+ might be the way to go. May try sticking my 2.4 Ardent on rear but it looks like it might be draggy, in mean time will see how my 2.1 Nano's do which are mounted on a Crest. I have a P35 for front and that would make for a set up similar to your Steel AlasdairMC
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I thought you could be burnt at the steak for putting FS on a Stooge :wink:

Should have been carbon but couldn't run to that. Firestarter would have been affordable but wrong offset. Enve would work but too pricey.
Going fully rigid was too much of a shock to the system so Andrew suggested RS and I switched from 650b to 29er.
RS seemed ok but as I have just discovered they were wrongly set up from new so were actually crap.
Put the rigid forks back on while the RS were being serviced and hey they are quite good especially compared to crap Reba ones.
So been watching replies with interest as may try a 3 inch front and ditch the Rebas.
What goes around comes around. :roll:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

I use on-one Carbon Fat fork, right height and offset and can be had for as little as £90 in one of their fairly regular sales. Even if you factor in new hub and wheel build its still cheapest option. 3.8 Hoodag is also vaguely exciting for trail duties. Roll of 29+ with loads more cush. I ride a lot in Peak and it's perfect round there.

I have found myself wanting some FS when chasing friends around trail centres though. The rigid front does slow you down in the rough stuff and that can be problematic on trails that have been designed to flow for FS bikes. So have been thinking about something like a Bluto or Reba Boost for bike park duties. Be interested to see what yours looks like Mariner, have you got a pic you can post up?
Chew

Post by Chew »

Brothersmith wrote:I use on-one Carbon Fat fork, right height and offset and can be had for as little as £90 in one of their fairly regular sales. Even if you factor in new hub and wheel build its still cheapest option. 3.8 Hoodag is also vaguely exciting for trail duties. Roll of 29+ with loads more cush. I ride a lot in Peak and it's perfect round there.

I have found myself wanting some FS when chasing friends around trail centres though. The rigid front does slow you down in the rough stuff and that can be problematic on trails that have been designed to flow for FS bikes. So have been thinking about something like a Bluto or Reba Boost for bike park duties. Be interested to see what yours looks like Mariner, have you got a pic you can post up?
Standard fork and b+ tyres here.
As fast as any of the FS guys around here on stuff thats not too rough. Has the new fork the same offset as the standard one? (think the standard is great as it is)
Dont forget its a rigid bike, so its made for riding over stuff not smashing through it.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Chew wrote: Dont forget its a rigid bike, so its made for riding over stuff not smashing through it.
Totally agree with you their Chew and the only time I have found it wanting is at N. Welsh trail centres when trying to keep up with mates on FS bikes. And thats probably more a comment on my bike skills and ability to take a pounding at my age. :lol: