Wheel building (rear)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Wheel building (rear)

Post by gairym »

I'm thinking that it's about time I built myself a wheel!

I've got some basic knowledge about the how of it all but I could use some assistance with which components I should get.

I'm looking to build a rear wheel for my (new!!!) 29er (don't worry, I've got one to use whilst I perfect the new one) and so am wondering what rim, hub and spokes to go for???

People seem to be loving the ZTR 'Crest' but I've also read that for the more portly gentleman (I'm about 95kg) a 'Flow' might be the way forward - what do you think....?

Are there any others I should consider in that price range?

Are the 29er Mavics any good? The TN719?

DT Swiss rims are something I've never seen anything about but they make good kit and seem to be available for the same kind of money (can't remember which model) - they any good?

Next, the hub.....

Can I just use any hub or do they need to be 29er specific?

I've always used either XT or Hope - any reason to start looking elsewhere?

Spokes?

Here's my info to aid you in your suggestions:

Weight: 95kg
Bike: Steel 29er HT with Reba fork
Terrain: mainly rocky hard-packed single-track
Style: I ride heavy and have a tendency to destroy back wheels

Any and all thoughts appreciated as always.....

Gairy.
gairym

Re: Wheel building (rear)

Post by gairym »

I should also say that if anyone has some bits for sale I might be interested!

Also, if anyone knows of 'THE' place to by any of the above bits then that info would be great too.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For a start I wouldn't go near DT rims, it might just be one of 'those things' but I've seen more of these destroy themselves than anything else ... they seem very 'soft'.

If money wasn't an issue then I'd go Hope for hubs ... I'd also look at the offerings from Superstar, my 29" wheels have had some hammer and are still going strong, without me ever having to look at them.

I'm sure you're well aware that building wheels is likely to cost you the same or possibly more than buying some ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm thinking that it's about time I built myself a wheel!
and
Style: I ride heavy and have a tendency to destroy back wheels
Sounds like the perfect situation to be in if you want to get lots of practice at building ;)

I'd say Stan's Flow rim, 36h, Hope Pro 2 hub (a hub is a hub, regardless of rim diameter), DT Competition spokes (or the Sapim equivalents) and brass nipples. I suggest that if you're a heavy rider, particularly with the added weight of bikepacking, the 36 hole and brass nipples are two important requirements that shouldn't be overlooked.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, as Ian says ... brass nipples.

There's a lot of debate as to whether butted or plain gauge spokes are stronger / weaker. My opinion is go butted. On the subject of spokes, I wouldn't fit black ones ... the only spokes I ever see snap are black ones ;)

When you're building the thing, keep in mind that the strength of a wheel is far greater than the sum of its parts ... uniform spoke tension is the key :geek:
May the bridges you burn light your way
chris n

Post by chris n »

+1 for brass nipples, double butted stainless spokes (DT and Sapim are good, ACI ok) and even spoke tension.

I like Shimano hubs - the last model of XT (M756?) is particularly good, I believe - as they're cheap, easy to service, have forged hub shells, good quality axles, seals and bearings and robust steel cassette bodies.

I've been using Mavic TN719 rims on my MTB for three years now, no problems. Not the lightest, but ok.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Hi Gairy,
Mavic 719s on Hope Pro II here with DT Swiss butted spokes.
First go at wheel building here a few years ago and these have been on my bikepacking bike for a few years now and haven't seen a spoke key since (I'm a touch heavier than you too).
Followed Roger Mussons book/instructions (http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php) and really enjoyed it. Laced tehm up dry a couple of times then oiled the nipples and applied final tension with a plastic knife as 'plectrum' to get even tension (apparently the key to strong wheels rather than heafty spokes). HTH.
Hope the back's feeling a bit better too - wheel building should be good therapy! I feel your pain!

Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
gairym

Post by gairym »

thanks folks, lots to think about!
s8tannorm wrote:For a start I wouldn't go near DT rims, it might just be one of 'those things' but I've seen more of these destroy themselves than anything else ... they seem very 'soft'.
fair enough.
s8tannorm wrote:I'm sure you're well aware that building wheels is likely to cost you the same or possibly more than buying some
oh sure but only initially as once a wheel part wears out (and i've got my wheel-building down to a fine art) i'll be able to simply replace the hub or rim instead paying for a whole new wheel as previously (that's the idea anyway).

i've also got a load of knackered wheels laying around the place which will yield hubs and/or 26" rims for future builds (I've already earmarked an old Hope front hub for my 29er front end build).
Ian wrote:I'd say Stan's Flow rim, 36h, Hope Pro 2 hub (a hub is a hub, regardless of rim diameter), DT Competition spokes (or the Sapim equivalents) and brass nipples. I suggest that if you're a heavy rider, particularly with the added weight of bikepacking, the 36 hole and brass nipples are two important requirements that shouldn't be overlooked.
thanks Ian, sounds like pretty much what I had in mind (although I wouldn't have thought of brass nipples).
s8tannorm wrote:When you're building the thing, keep in mind that the strength of a wheel is far greater than the sum of its parts ... uniform spoke tension is the key
99percentchimp wrote:Laced tehm up dry a couple of times then oiled the nipples and applied final tension with a plastic knife as 'plectrum' to get even tension (apparently the key to strong wheels rather than heafty spokes).
absolutely! i've played around before (as in entirely loosening a wheels spokes and then re-tensioning the wheel from there) but i've never laced one yet (although if you follow a guide then how hard can it be? :shock: ).
chris n wrote:I like Shimano hubs - the last model of XT (M756?) is particularly good, I believe - as they're cheap, easy to service, have forged hub shells, good quality axles, seals and bearings and robust steel cassette bodies.
i've had mixed success with XT hubs but they're cheap enough to replace without feeling too hard done by. we'll see how the finances are looking and then i'll see if it's Hope or XT.
99percentchimp wrote:Hope the back's feeling a bit better too - wheel building should be good therapy! I feel your pain!
yeah, it's getting there. i went out on the bike for the first time (since the back went) today - just did about 1km of easy trails just to see how it holds up (tomorrow morning will tell me all i need to know) as if i'm going to be in any kind of shape by the time the bb200 rears its ugly head i need to be back out on the trails - let's hope i'm able to move tomorrow!

thanks everyone for the help and advice - anyone got any cheap-as-chips websites to buy a ZTR 'Flow' rim or a Hope 'Pro 2' hub (or the spokes for that matter!)???

if not i might start scouring ebay/STW for used wheels and then strip 'em for parts.

cheers, gairy.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Justridingalong.com is worth a look for the bits you'll need. Don't know if they're the cheapest though, but very reputable in my opinion.
wheelist

Post by wheelist »

Loads of good advice, especially the black spoke thing - true,.

Re. buying, you might be better off buying the wheel whole and taking it to pieces, rather than buying the parts separately. Hope will do wheels and you can specify rims & spokes (don't touch DT rims, but their spokes are top quality!) or Merlin cycles (I've bought plenty of wheels here and they're excellent value)
Wheelism - www.wheelism.co.uk
What goes around comes around, only faster with a lighter rim.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

My first and only build was a front wheel out of two broken ones, one had a knackered hub, the other a knackered rim, the resultant wheel lasted for years. If I managed it I don't see why you can't Gairy. Hardest bit was getting the spoke pattern right, I copied it off another wheel. Good luck.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Although rarer nowadays make sure it's a six bolt compatible hub, if you're running discs with that fitting. Also, if you're single speeding you can get dedicated hubs.

I had several regular sized DT rims and been fine but I'd probably go for Stans.

As for black spokes being weaker :roll: :lol:
gairym

Post by gairym »

Ian wrote:Justridingalong.com is worth a look for the bits you'll need. Don't know if they're the cheapest though, but very reputable in my opinion.
thanks, that's a hell of a site for wheel building bits and pieces!
wheelist wrote:Loads of good advice, especially the black spoke thing - true,.
i was initially pretty sceptical about that being true but the more i think about it the more i realise that the majority of the spokes i've broken have been black!

although that could be something to do with the fact that i have always paid a few extra quid to have the spokes match my hub/rim. ;)
wheelist wrote:Re. buying, you might be better off buying the wheel whole and taking it to pieces, rather than buying the parts separately. Hope will do wheels and you can specify rims & spokes (don't touch DT rims, but their spokes are top quality!) or Merlin cycles (I've bought plenty of wheels here and they're excellent value)
yeah, i nearly always use Merlin (though have had a few duff wheels in recent years and so have started shopping around a bit more).

the whole wheel idea makes sense but i know i won't take it apart but that's ok. maybe i'll get this new wheel and then work on a few spare wheels from old bits building up my skills before taking on replacing any worn bits on wheels in the future???
Ray Young wrote:My first and only build was a front wheel out of two broken ones, one had a knackered hub, the other a knackered rim, the resultant wheel lasted for years.
that's exactly what starting me thinking - i've got loads of half knackered wheels in the workshop and it just seemed daft to be looking at yet another wheel purchase.
If I managed it I don't see why you can't Gairy. Hardest bit was getting the spoke pattern right, I copied it off another wheel. Good luck.
thanks, i've got a few little pdf tutorials to follow too and so i'm sure i'll figure it out.
Cheeky Monkey wrote:Although rarer nowadays make sure it's a six bolt compatible hub, if you're running discs with that fitting. Also, if you're single speeding you can get dedicated hubs.
absolutely.

right, enough talk - to the workshop.....
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I found the Sheldon Brown website for wheel building very helpful and really easy to follow. Had not built any wheels before using that site. Can't post up the link as work computers stop me going to that website. Do a search for Sheldon Brown wheelbuilding to find it. If you've never seen this site before it is/was amazing. Long time since i've been there. He died a few years ago but was a legend.
gairym

Post by gairym »

yeah, his site is full of useful information - that guy knew his stuff!