Wildcat Tiger Drybag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Wildcat Tiger Drybag

Post by Chew »

Got a tiger on its way.

Just wondering out of everybody who already has one, which models of drybag work the best?

Pack shape/volume/width/etc..
Taylor

Re: Wildcat Tiger Drybag

Post by Taylor »

AK Airlocks seem fine.
I tried the XTra's and found them a bit too stiff.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Airlocks here too ... but only black ones mind ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

I have a medium Tiger and used an 8l Alpkit Xtra without too much hassle (was a tight fit).
Ian

Post by Ian »

In the name of research, I've tried quite a few different brands. I think that Exped Fold dry bags in medium (8 litre) give the best balance of fit, shape, weight, durability, availability and price. Sea To Summit are also a lighter weight option.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Ian, do you think Beth is likely to go ahead with making a larger Tiger? I for one could really benefit from one that'll hold a dry bag with a larger diameter..I'm thinking 10 to 12 litres.
Mart

Post by Mart »

pedalhead wrote:Ian, do you think Beth is likely to go ahead with making a larger Tiger? I for one could really benefit from one that'll hold a dry bag with a larger diameter..I'm thinking 10 to 12 litres.
I was thinking the same, although i did managed to shoehorn a larger drybag one into the harness
2924 miles per Gallon
gairym

Post by gairym »

I need to correct my details from before - I actually used a 10l Alpkit 'xtra' and not an 8l.

That's the reason for the tight fit but it did go it (as long as I left the inserted end of the dry-bag loose so that it could compress).
Ian

Post by Ian »

The Tigers are currently sized as small or medium to leave the option of bringing in a large size at some point. Generally, the current sizing prevents them from being overloaded in terms of weight, which for use on technical/rocky terrain is important from a bike handling perspective. The weight is better on the front or in the middle of the bike, not at the end of a long pole at the back ;)

Drybags - part of the reason for the earlier drybag thread was to see what people are using. Not all drybags are the same dimensionally even if the quoted capacities are, and it's not until you get some side be side you can see the differences. For example, a Sea to Summit dry bag is slightly longer and has a smaller diameter than the same sized Exped bag. I've yet to get my hands on one, but the Outdoor Research dry bags tend to be longer with smaller diameters, and I am keen to try them for this reason. If they prove effective, this would increase the capacity up to 10 litres.

On an aligned topic, packing efficiency is important too to get the best out of the space you've got. I'm constantly experimenting with what gear to put where, and how quickly and easily I can retrieve stuff when I need it. To an extent, this can be down to personal preference, but there are some definite principles that are emerging in my mind, which I'll write up sometime.