Ariège region France?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Ariège region France?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's a chance that I (we) might be heading over to the Pyrenees next year. I've been told to take a bike/gear and pick an area ... I'll be left to my own devices at the side of the road :D

After initial searching I reckon that the Ariège region might make for an interesting trip. So far everything I've read says that it's one of the least populated and wildest areas of the entire range which sounds ideal. So, has anyone ridden there or spent any time in the area?
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Re: Ariège region France?

Post by gairym »

Never heard of it before your post!

But.....I know some people who know some people and so I'll see what I can find out.

Also, I might be able to wangle a couple of free days if you fancied some company (no worries if it's your 'alone time') for a day or two during your trip?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Beth and I did the French Polaris there many years ago. It was nice riding from what I can remember. I'll dig some maps out and give you more of an idea of where we went.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cheers fellas ... any info would be great.
no worries if it's your 'alone time'
I'd planned on going for a ride, not a w**k ;)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

s8tannorm wrote:Cheers fellas ... any info would be great.
no worries if it's your 'alone time'
I'd planned on going for a ride, not a w**k ;)
:shock: :lol:
gairym

Post by gairym »

yeah, why did i put inverted commas around 'alone time'?

re-reading my response i definitely come across as a little weird!

apologies.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Haven't found the maps yet, but we went in 2003. Stayed here: http://ariege.com/petit-paradis/info.html , which was the base for the event.

I remember that the area is very rural but generally well tended for agriculture (cattle, from what I can remember). In between it was quite wooded, mostly broadleaved but some conifers also. Similar in character to some of the Welsh borders I suppose, around Ludlow and west into Radnorshire. I don't recall getting up to any great elevation, but that was perhaps the limitation of the event rather than the area. I do recall views south to snow-capped Pyrenees though. I need to find the photos we took - that'll bring some clearer memories of the area I expect.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cheers Ian ... it was pics like this that sparked my interest. I know the GR 10 runs through the area but it sounds like it'd involve more carrying than riding :(

Jack

Post by Jack »

I spent 5 weeks in the Ariege last July/August with family and some friends, starting to build a holiday house. For the duration we all camped outside, I used a hammock for the whole 5 weeks without any problems. I didn't see a massive amount of the area, due to being hard at work most days, but I did manage a few walks and some cycling (admittedly road.. :roll: ) Anyway, here are a few of my observations, I hope they can be of some help.. ;) I just want to make it clear I can't really comment on the higher areas further south (above 1200m) as I didn't spend much time at all there, only the lower wooded areas.

Weather - Sleeping at an elevation of about 1000m, near to Massat, in a heavily wooded area. In the summer the weather gets seriously hot, we had days of 35*, but generally in the high twenties in the day. At night it would cool considerably due to the elevation, but never below 10* (I kept a thermometer in the hammock). In terms of rain, most days were sunny and clear, but with several blocks of 2-3 days of continuous drizzle, very Welsh.. ;) due to being in the rain shadow of the Pyrenees. Several nights, especially after the periods of hot days, we had some seriously impressive thunderstorms and really heavy deluges, making it really muddy. (quick note on winter, went for a week in February and the temp was down to -18* some nights at 600m with some big snowfalls and freezing. :D )

Terrain - In general it is very wooded, probably up to about 1500m. I believe it was once predominantly pasture, but after the war the local economy collapsed and people mass migrated out of the area, letting the forest regrow. Most of the forest is therefore beech and smaller trees like birch and hazel, and only a few clearer areas of pasture remain, often accompanied by abandoned shepherds hut and barns. (not entirely legal but shelter possibly? ;) ) I happen to live near Ludlow, and like Ian said, it is really rather like that area and moving out towards Knighton and Clun. Just a LOT bigger and steeper, very up and down and then up again. It makes for brilliant cycling and views though. Generally, there are both walking paths (the GR10 does pass through) and old drovers tracks. Most of which are rideable and in reasonable condition. I suspect it gets a lot more rocky if you go higher and south though. In the lower elevations hammocks would be perfect for pitching just about anywhere. It is very rural, and I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it is the least densely populated Department in France..

Water/Food - Where I stayed there were mountain springs just about everywhere. Water wouldn't be a problem, rather like Mid Wales. I drank from a spring without boiling or filtering for the 5 weeks and had no problems. There are quite a lot of small villages and hamlets. All of the slightly larger ones have a boulangerie and a bar. Not sure how comprehensive there stock is though? Some of the small towns have small supermarkets.

Okay, that's about all I can think of at the moment, if you have any questions I'll attempt to answer them as best I can. I hope this'll help. Apologies for waffling majorly.. ;)

(Oh and there are bears, lynx and wild boar prowling around. :shock: Saw the wild boar on several occassions..)

Jack
Jack

Post by Jack »

Just thought of a few more things.. You can tell I have a lot of spare time as a student can't you.. :D

My Dad has been spending a lot of time over there, and in the Autumn in particular (September/October) the weather is a lot more settled. Fewer extremes of temperature. Pleasantly warm for most of the day, cool evenings and slightly frosty nights. Far less rain though and the autumnal forests look spectacular.

The French IGN 1:25000 maps are pretty good, not up to OS, but not bad at all. And the physical trail markings (blazes and painted stripes) make navigation on the tracks very east, even with GPS.

Jack
Ian

Post by Ian »

Jack wrote:I happen to live near Ludlow, and like Ian said, it is really rather like that area and moving out towards Knighton and Clun.
We should meet up for a ride sometime. Love the Mortimer Forest :)

Back to Ariege - found my photos:

Could be the Welsh Marches (but isn't) by ianbarrington, on Flickr

Pyrenees by ianbarrington, on Flickr

Autumn Colour in Ariege by ianbarrington, on Flickr

Swoopy by ianbarrington, on Flickr

Bears - we didn't see any, but I figure this is why they have cows and not sheep. Even so, just look at the size of the bear bell on this cow:

Even the cows wear bear bells by ianbarrington, on Flickr