Cotic 'Solaris'

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Cotic 'Solaris'

Post by gairym »

Afternoon folks,

Firstly, some background.....

I've recently been trying convince myself that I have adequate reason to sell my Surly 'Karate' Monkey frame (and Manitou Minute 29er forks) and buy a Pace 'RC129' frame (with accompanying super-nice DT Swiss forks).

But.....the financial implications of this proposed purchase are mental and so I've begun looking into less insanely expensive options.

In order to contribute more to the pot I will be selling my On-one 'Inbred' (currently set up as a single-speed 69er) but it'll still leave me short by a good few hundred quid! :cry:

Next, I considered selling my current 26er (Cotic 'Soul') and building up one mother f**ker of a dream build and just having one almightily spec'd bike (the RC129) but I can't seem to get my head around the idea of getting rid of my Cotic as I still love riding it so much!

After a potential brain-wave today I have another idea:

I keep my Cotic, sell my Surly and On-one's and buy another Cotic - simple!

If I were to buy a Cotic 'Solaris' instead of the Pace I'd be saving £200 and if I get some RS Reba's instead of the DT Swiss forks I'd save at least another £200 meaning that after selling everything and buying everything the whole change would have only cost me an estimated £200 (and the loss of 1 bike in total).

So.....my question is this:

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Solaris?

(for all round bikepacking and mountain biking duties)

Is there something else you'd suggest in that price bracket (£500 for the frame) that'd be as light and sprightly (which is why I'm getting rid of the Surly and not considering getting an Inbred 29er frame)?

Any/all thoughts, opinions and suggestions appreciated.

Cheers, Gairy.
Ray Young

Re: Cotic 'Solaris'

Post by Ray Young »

Nice looking bike, have you thought of a Charge Cooker frame which I have heard are nice and a bit cheaper too.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Thanks Ray, I do like the look of the Charge but it's of a similar weight to the Surly and On-one and I'm looking to lose a little heft on the frame (as well as a few other components).
Ian

Post by Ian »

I suggest riding them both. I got a go on my brothers RC129 a few weeks ago, and though I'm used to spritely lightweight Ti frames, the Pace was a very satisfying bike to ride, lively for steel in my opinion, very sure-footed on technical terrain and overall very well balanced (particularly in the air). The Solaris might be the same (haven't ridden one) as I think Cy spent a while trying to dial in the ride characteristics that make his 26" wheeled bikes so popular.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

I reckon you've got it spot on. I've recently been shopping around for a "fun" 29er frame so I can keep my rigid bikepacking & long distance racing frame as just that. It was between a few frames (Ritchey P29, Niner SIR9 and Cotic Simple - which is exactly the same as a Solaris but singlespeed specific), and based on everything I've read about the Solaris/Simple I decided to go for that one.

Of course, then a slightly used Salsa Selma came up and I bought that instead (yesterday), but let's ignore that for the moment coz if I hadn't bought that I'd have gone for the Cotic. Seems to me to have good geometry for a 29er (longish TT so you can run a fairly short stem). Should ride beautifully compared to the KM, which I'm sure is fine but it's quite heavy iirc. Just a personal thing, but I wouldn't touch a Pace frame with a barge pole these days. Too many bad stories. Probably an irrational fear but hey ho. The other frame I'd be interested in would be a Canfield Nimble 9, but not for bikepacking duties, more of a fun frame that one I think.

Rebas are ace too. Have used those and DT forks, I wouldn't spend any extra to get the DTs. Here's a thought though...if you're keeping the Soul, how about going rigid on the Solaris? You'd be amazed (maybe) at what a decent rigid fork can handle, you save weight over squish, and on a 29er it's not such a big deal comfort-wise. My bikepacking bike is always 100% rigid & I reckon it's ace that way. Fast up hills, is still ok downhill, particularly as I don't tend to fly downhill when the bike's loaded anyway, no problems with bar bag rubbing. Plus, when the bike is unloaded you can fly like the wind uphill and nab all those Strava KOMs (cough 2 today cough :D )

Anyway, Cotics are cool I think. Aren't they? (I don't know much about cool)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Something from Singular? I haven't ridden any of the others you mention but I rather like my Gryphon as it's such a different ride.

Everyone can summon bad stories about bikes. Not so long ago Cotics we're snapping a bit and they couldn't fit the swing arms properly ;-) I don't think it means all their bikes are poor though, nor do I reckon all Pace ones are bad either. Commencals however, they snap as soon as you look at one ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm liking the look of the On One Lurchers ... not ridden or even seen one in the flesh but I'm thinking at just under £500 and around 3.3lb it could be a winner. Obviously IMO it needs building up with some nice carbon rigids too ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

For some reason I'm strangly drawn to the lurcher too, even though it sometimes looks like its been left too close to the fire!

One of my mates is in the process of dismantling his £4k turner as all he rides now is his Solaris.
Read into that what you will.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Pedalhead,

What you say makes sense and the idea of a nice light rigid fork up-front (eXotic? £113! any other suggestions?) is one I've been considering.

Cheeky Monkey,

I did take a look at the Singular (although I was really focusing on the Swift) and they seem to tick most of the boxes but I'd have a rigid steel fork to get shot of and then I'd be left with a 4130 steel frame (which is what I have now) and a new fork (albeit much lighter than my current frame).

Hmmm.....

Stuart,

You seem to enjoy throwing spanners into works!

I've never, not even once, taken more than a quick dismissive glance at carbon MTB frames but this one would appear to pretty much do everything I want with no real downside (other than my pre-conceived notion of carbon frames falling apart after 6 months).

Would you still couple that with the eXotic fork or something else?

Damn you sir!

Flatfishy,

That's reassuring to hear (the bit about the Solaris not you 2nding Stuarts attempts at sabotaging my plans!).

All,

The main problem is that I need to order whatever it is I'm getting in the next day or so in order for it to arrive in time for me to build it up and fine tune it before returning to the UK in 3 weeks!

I've got some thinking to do.

Choices, choices.....
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

On One / Planet X pricing is an interesting thing. If the Lurcher hasn't been out too long and is still at the price it was first released I'd hold off. They usually drop prices and frequently offer bundle deals. I'd imagine the Lurcher will be going for £100 or £200 less within a few months. Happened with the 456s and other frames.

Doesn't help your timescales but, if you want to maximise money, you'd do a lot worse than signing on to On One / PX's mailing list and waiting for a deal.

My 2p 8-)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would you still couple that with the eXotic fork or something else?
Given the pricing I'd be looking towards a pair of these at present (On One are meant to have something along the same lines out soon ... but wh knows when) ;)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=64389
May the bridges you burn light your way
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Crikey, that's a bargain & only a tiny bit heavier than my Niner forks. Make sure you get the 470mm ones though!
gairym

Post by gairym »

Stuart,

Thanks, those look nice.

Damn, now I'm confused!!!!!

I had it all figured out until this whole Lurcher malarkey came about and now I'm unsure what to do.

My wife (quite rightly) pointed out that I've always bad-mouthed carbon frames and that I'd be a massive hypocrite if I did a u-turn and now got a carbon frame but that's clearly a dumb reason not to get one.

I do love steel bikes and I do love the geometry and build quality of Cotic bikes.

But.....the idea behind changing this frame is get something more closely resembling a light bike (whilst still being rugged and tough) and so the fact that the Lurcher is so much lighter than the Solaris is no small thing.

I've also had a few (and heard of more) issues with On-one build quality and so if I were about to switch to a carbon frame would I be wise to do it with a company who're not known for being the best built bikes out there???

Hmmmm.....
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

saw a solaris (in green) recently and it looked stunning.

I'm a massive on one fan, i've just bought #5!, but i would be very wary of their carbon after a number of horror stories of friends, must be 4/5 mates bought whippets and all have had problems. front mech mount falling off, creaking BB inserts, cracked rear ends. some guys have had 2 frames and repeated problems.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I have two mates riding carbon 456s no problems. Cy once told me the headset in my roadrat was supposed to be fitted dry :shock: Neither of which proove anything other than most people have anecdotal / a little bit of evidence that can put a positive or negative spin on your option. Not saying anyone else is BS-ing mind 8-)

If you fancy the carbon go for it. The only thing is I think you'll get it considerably cheaper if you wait for the right deal to come out of On One. Whether that wait works for you is another matter.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Ok, procrastination time has ended!

An order has just been placed for 1 Cotic 'Solaris' (size: L - colour: that funny but cool blue) and a pair of 29er Rockshox 'Reba RL's.

Nice try Stuart, you nearly had me but I resisted!

Seriously though, I almost cracked and went for the On-one but I am 99% certain that I'll love the Cotic and, though I may have liked the On-one (possibly even more), I just wasn't anywhere near as certain about the Lurcher and so went with what I know.

All I need know are some trimmings and a back that isn't in constant pain and I'll be set.

Look out for the moron going super-slow on the turquoise behemoth at the BB200 - it'll be me!