Lessons learned over Christmas

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Lessons learned over Christmas

Post by godivatrailrider »

Happy New Year folks :) I've had a good and educational festive period :)
What have I learned?

New 45Nrth Japanther boots are warm and waterproof... happy days :)
Branches and rear derailleurs don't mix. :(

Now all fixed :)

I learned I have no need, or desire, for a fat bike. I ride a 29+ and love it. But I was loaned a lovely 9zero7 fat bike ... it may have benefited from a couple more psi in the rear... but what a drag ! :( I'll stick with the +
I also no longer hanker after a Rohloff. The fat bike was fitted with one and it was good.... but the whir in very low gears was annoying and the shifter is just too mechanical.
I did like the Brooks Cambium seat fitted to it ... one has been purchased for my 50th in 3.5 weeks :)

So I'm concentrating on my fitness and weight, planning local and less local bikepacking trips, got some great events in the pipeline ...SSEC in Scotland, SIS in Germany and hopefully the Belgian Singlespeed Championships . Also planning a Belgium / Ardennes Trappist brewery tour in June too :)

2017 should be a good year :)
Richard G

Re: Lessons learned over Christmas

Post by Richard G »

My main one is that I hate road descents.

Sounds obvious, but any time I do one I know that there's generally a horribly painful hill to follow (usually because towns are in basins). It's a different story for proper mountain biking as you've generally suffered through the hill to earn the descent. A road descent though, blech.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Don't dismiss the rohloff, the one you tried may have been new. New for a rohloff is under 2000 miles, mine has just got better and better and even the lower 7 gears are now quiet, with 6k on it its sublime. Also tree proof :-bd
I changed the chain for the first tim at over 5000 miles and it's still on the original sprocket, gradually it's repaying the investment I honestly can't imagine riding anything else, for sure I wish it weighed 200g but having a drivetrain which just works is priceless.

On the subject if what I've learnt this Christmas? The wife will find out about bicycle expenditure :shock: so burn all evidence and possibly buy said wife an extremely expensive designer coat if you think you've been rumbled :-O
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
godivatrailrider

Richard G wrote:My main one is that I hate road descents.

Sounds obvious, but any time I do one I know that there's generally a horribly painful hill to follow (usually because towns are in basins). It's a different story for proper mountain biking as you've generally suffered through the hill to earn the descent. A road descent though, blech.
Yep a road descent is a waste of hard earned height :( I don't mind losing height off road, but just to blat down a road is sub par.
godivatrailrider

BigdummySteve wrote:Don't dismiss the rohloff, the one you tried may have been new. New for a rohloff is under 2000 miles, mine has just got better and better and even the lower 7 gears are now quiet, with 6k on it its sublime. Also tree proof :-bd
I changed the chain for the first tim at over 5000 miles and it's still on the original sprocket, gradually it's repaying the investment I honestly can't imagine riding anything else, for sure I wish it weighed 200g but having a drivetrain which just works is priceless.

On the subject if what I've learnt this Christmas? The wife will find out about bicycle expenditure :shock: so burn all evidence and possibly buy said wife an extremely expensive designer coat if you think you've been rumbled :-O
Cheers Steve. This was a couple of years old , though I don't know the mileage it's done. The grip shift seemed vague and stiff. I appreciate it IS a mechanical animal but it seemed hard to use. I did love the gear range. The one I was on was geared low and man they were some low gears :) I'm a fat bloke, not a hill climber, so I need low gears... or good walking shoes. The Rohloff catered for me well on this count.
Maybe if you have your own, you get used to the feel of it. :)
paramart

Post by paramart »

deaky seems to do ok on it mart, :lol:
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

godivatrailrider wrote:
Richard G wrote:My main one is that I hate road descents.

Yep a road descent is a waste of hard earned height :( I don't mind losing height off road, but just to blat down a road is sub par.
I know of a certain section of Torino Nice that will change your mind on that. I also disagree completely, there are many road descents in the UK well worth a hoon down even on a MTB.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
godivatrailrider

paramart wrote:deaky seems to do ok on it mart, :lol:
Deaky ain't me ;) It's a fantastic bike.... I have the Jones setup fat front so I'm used to the front end grip, the rear just seemed mega draggy... maybe a few more PSI would have helped :)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Dave Barter wrote:I know of a certain section of Torino Nice that will change your mind on that. I also disagree completely, there are many road descents in the UK well worth a hoon down even on a MTB.
I'll almost never "hoon" down a road descent, especially one with corners because of fear of drivers.

I've enjoyed the scenery on many, but rarely the actual descending.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Richard G wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:I know of a certain section of Torino Nice that will change your mind on that. I also disagree completely, there are many road descents in the UK well worth a hoon down even on a MTB.
I'll almost never "hoon" down a road descent, especially one with corners because of fear of drivers.

I've enjoyed the scenery on many, but rarely the actual descending.
I do like a nice long alpine descent. Especially when drivers pull over to let you pass :wink: which happens a lot in France but never in the uk strangely.

I do like road riding in France which I think is a lot today to do with how the drivers behave around bikes.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I have heard that it's better in other countries for sure.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richard G wrote:I have heard that it's better in other countries for sure.
Aye, Scotland for one.

All the feedback we get from bike hire customers is that the drivers in the Highlands and Islands are patient and courteous, particularly on the single-track roads. That comes from French, Italians, Dutch, Belgians, Spanish etc - all the countries we might associate with more "bike-friendly" drivers.
gairym

Post by gairym »

ianfitz wrote:I do like a nice long alpine descent. Especially when drivers pull over to let you pass :wink: which happens a lot in France but never in the uk strangely.

I do like road riding in France which I think is a lot today to do with how the drivers behave around bikes.
Agreed!

There's a world of difference between road riding in the UK (almost certain death and aggression) and France (pleasant friendly tooting horn in encouragement and shooting chapeau etc...).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When Colin (Scotroutes) says things are a bit damp in the Highlands he really means that the burns are more suitable for white water canoeing than a means of cleaning your bike :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mart

Post by Mart »

godivatrailrider wrote:
paramart wrote:deaky seems to do ok on it mart, :lol:
Deaky ain't me ;) It's a fantastic bike.... I have the Jones setup fat front so I'm used to the front end grip, the rear just seemed mega draggy... maybe a few more PSI would have helped :)
I was just about to ask if it was Deaky's - spooky :ugeek:
2924 miles per Gallon