Bloody tight fit

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Bloody tight fit

Post by Mike »

Any ony got any ideas how to remove a 3" wtb tyre from a 45mm rim. Jeez it's the tightest fit ever can't even break the seal at the moment. And a knife isn't an option as the tires are new :wink:
JohnClimber

Re: Bloody tight fit

Post by JohnClimber »

Let out as much air as possible and stand on the bead with the inside of your foot in a heavy boot
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Wheel off.
Hold the wheel in front of you, tyre on the ground.
Lean forward so that the wheel is at about 45deg away from you (more if you're supple).
Shuffle toes forward onto the tyre (about 10-15cm apart)
Press down with toes.

That'll break the seal.

Rotate the tyre a few degrees clockwise/anti-clockwise and repeat.

There should now be enough movement to carry on as usual.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Buggers aren't they my Bridger and trailblazers were a mare to get off the scrapper rims
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Just had to go through this, just keep working around the rim with your thumbs till it pops, it's not easy. There's usually a slightly easier spot where it wasn't as tight.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

a fu****g big Hammer :-bd
MarkJS

Post by MarkJS »

I have a similar issue with scraper rims and a new WTB ranger 3.0

The trailblazers that were initially fitted were a doddle to remove and replace on the rim and really easy to set up tubeless; simply poured some sealant in the tyres, popped them on the rim by hand and inflated with a track pump.

The new ranger seams ridiculously tight - while I have managed to get them on and off the rim with tyre levers and a little brute force, the bead sits firmly in the depression in the centre of the rim and refuses to be pulled into the bead channel at the edge of the rim. After an hour of wrestling with the tyre all I've managed to achieve is to plaster myself in sealant.

I've fitted the tyre with a tube for the moment but had the pressure up to over 30 psi before the bead popped into place on the rim. I'm hoping a week of sitting in place may stretch the tyre a little before trying again.

Anyone else had trouble getting these set up tubeless?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone else had trouble getting these set up tubeless?
They are tight but went on okay. What are you using with regard to rim strip / tape? If you could reduce the thickness slightly that should help - I recall I've just got a single wrap of Gorilla tape.
May the bridges you burn light your way
MarkJS

Post by MarkJS »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:They are tight but went on okay. What are you using with regard to rim strip / tape? If you could reduce the thickness slightly that should help - I recall I've just got a single wrap of Gorilla tape.
I was thinking the same. The rim strip currently fitted was included when I purchased the bike. It's only a couple of mil thick but may make the difference, I'll give it a try.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My normal procedure is to set up a tyre with a tube first then go back the next day, break the bead on one side, remove the tube and then set it up tubeless. Thin (and shiny) rim tape always helps. WTB recommend 50mm tape for the Scrapers. Fitting that means you'll have a nice slippy surface all the way to the edge of the rim.
MarkJS

Post by MarkJS »

ScotRoutes wrote:My normal procedure is to set up a tyre with a tube first then go back the next day, break the bead on one side, remove the tube and then set it up tubeless. Thin (and shiny) rim tape always helps.
So the combination of the gorilla tape and the above method had me set back up tubeless in less than 15 minutes. Many thanks guys.
A couple of fingers of Lagavulin before attempting it may have also helped.
Much happier with the rangers over the trailblazers, they have far greater volume and seem far more predictable when cornering.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

With scapers I just tape over the spoke holes with 20mm width tape ie not up to the beads. No probs with chronicles or chupas on or off.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Much happier with the rangers over the trailblazers, they have far greater volume and seem far more predictable when cornering.
Trailblazer makes a fairly good rear but an 'interesting' front ... especially if you're used to tyres gripping while you go round corners :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

I gave up and went with the easy option and bought a new tyre for the wheel. Left the old tires on the fat rims. Went with the boss again as I like them and at 25quid would be mad to pay more for a different model :-bd