Best SPD bikepacking shoes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ctznsmith

Re: Best SPD bikepacking shoes

Post by ctznsmith »

MT91 (or whatever the replacement is called) because they don't fall apart mega-quickly.

They are a PITA to get dry when they wet out/become waterlogged though.

I'd love something lighter/quicker drying but equally I know that I'll then destroy them more quickly.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

ScotRoutes wrote: They're not so bad now but used to smell of cats piss when wet.
Stick some sprigs of Lavender in them. :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

ctznsmith wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote: They're not so bad now but used to smell of cats piss when wet.
Stick some sprigs of Lavender in them. :wink:
Perhaps it's his feet :wink:
My shoes NW GC shoes don't smell of cat piss...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's not my feet - or I'd expect all my shoes to smell the same.

Oh - and we don't have a cat :grin:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

My NW shoes have a particular smell when damp. Quite happy to admit that my feet generally do smell. But they have a different had smell to my other shoes :-bd

Still super warm boots though
Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

Reading with interest, as I'll be having a go at the Lakeland200 next year, I've heard that it's probably not all rideable................ :wink:
Howard

Post by Howard »

I used to use Tahoe but wanted something more substantial for HAB. I went for Shimano XM9, below is a copy of a post of mine from April.

"Just to say that I plumped for the Shimano XM9 and having now done about 20 hours or so through boggy places that bikes shouldn't ever go (researching routes that weren't!) I am really impressed. They are as comfortable as my walking boots for walking, with the only downside being you can't boulder hop in the same way because of the spd plate, and have proven to be waterproof so far. I do take the precaution of putting silicon sealant in the plate when I fit it - don't know if that is needed but I do anyway. With gaiters I was able to flounder around to about a foot deep in bog (nearly got stuck) and still came out dry. I wouldn't race in them, or use them for just a road trip - but exactly what I wanted in the mountains."

Since then I've done Cairngorm Loop in bad conditions (including a 6 hour push through snow), the HT550 and the Deeside Trail, as well as a fair few day rides in them. They have been perfect for me - and very little sign of wear.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

This months MBR (didn't buy it!) had some Shimano MW5 Dryshield listed as 10/10 and their supercheap (91 quid if you're willing to wait on Athleteshop.com)..

If anyone invests in them do be sure to whack a nice long termer review on here...
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Just ordered some XM9's to my local Evans to try on for size. 15% off discount as well today so costing £105, not bad!
philipft

Post by philipft »

Pete-G wrote:
Ian wrote:
tommid wrote:I picked up a pair of Giro Terraduros this year. Simply the best shoe I have worn in my 25 years of riding in SPDs. Great off of the bike as well.
A number of HT550 riders had problems with this shoe - basically fell to pieces mid ride. Depends on your severity of bikepacking I think!

Another vote for Rimes here. Also, Northwave Gran Canion [sic] faired well for me over the past year, including the HT550.
Didn't Giro admit to problems with the early batches? I know of a couple of folks who've had them replaced under warranty and been super happy since.
Hmm, I wanted to love the Terraduros, I had three pairs and then gave up. Same problem each time, the nylon shank becoming detached from the sole. The second and third pairs were the newer batch that had allegedly resolved the problems. One went going around the northern loop on 2015 ht550, so I switched to Rimes. Great shoe although they can get to my Achilles after several days, but it's hard to know if that's the shoe or just general punishment. I think they grip better off the bike than terraduros, but don't feel quite as planted on it . To be fair though Giro replaced the shoe each time, and did a full refund the last time !
Howard

Post by Howard »

rich.mike wrote:Just ordered some XM9's to my local Evans to try on for size. 15% off discount as well today so costing £105, not bad!
Good luck! Wiggle were excellent - I checked with them first, but they were happy to send two sizes at the same time knowing I would return one. One thing to consider is socks. A whole new topic that has been covered elsewhere. Two schools of thought - do everything you can to keep your feet dry, or you won't keep your feet dry so go with something that dries quickly. Personally, I have done too many long distance walking holidays with wet feet in the past so I go for the dry feet option. So with my XM9s I had icebreaker merino calf length compression socks with Sealskinz waterproof socks on top. For me a great combination that kept me dry (most of the time :lol: ). The result though was that I went up a size in boots to give the extra room.

While I'm on the subject, I also wore lightweight gaiters. Even when it's dry, it stops those bits of heather getting into your boots (and actually protects them from scrapes and knocks) as well as another layer of defence from the elements. Does make things warm at times but they do keep you clean and dry when you misjudge that bit of bog though....
Attachments
Howard's-iPhone-201605-007.jpg
(262.4 KiB) Downloaded 2311 times
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Just saw this on a merlincycles mailshot, and this thread seemed like the best place to put it.

Looks interesting, if a bit pricey. I've also never found overshoes and off roading to get on particularly well to be honest. However, these probably look like a pretty good shot at keeping your feet dry if you wanna try that.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Looks like the beginnings of a gimp suit.....
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

MT91 +/- gaiters +/- seal skin socks depending on depth of crud expected.
Considering 45NRTH Japanthers when my MT91 die but they keep on living and are about 7 years old now. Pretty good going.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

slarge wrote:Looks like the beginnings of a gimp suit.....
Or the final piece of the jigsaw for the gimping bikepacker...
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've had a pair of MW700's for the last two winters. Lovely boots, keep your feet proper dry and toasty warm, but the sole's split from the upper on one. Haven't worn them that much either. Been out today in summer shoes, went knee deep in a stream, then couldn't move my toes when I got back to the car about five hours later so need to get a suitable replacement.

Anyone got MW5's?

Oh, and for people struggling to dry out waterproof boots, this was a gamechanger.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

specialized 2fo for summer 45 north japanther for winter