29 plus rims

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

29 plus rims

Post by BigdummySteve »

Well I thought I was being smart (for once) when I built my rohloff wheel for my dummy, 36 hole rims made for strong wheels but it has come back to bite me , my ECR is running the rohloff on kris holm rims. While they have been tough they do weigh 850g each, any other rims out there for 36h hubs (please don't suggest selling the rohloff as after 6k its nicely run in :-bd )

So far the light bicycle carbon rims seem my only option , I'd like easier tubeless setup as well
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dovebiker

Re: 29 plus rims

Post by Dovebiker »

Velocity Blunt available in 36 holes - probably special order from Brick Lane Bikes who are UK distributors. Been running earlier model, P35 for 3 years without troubles and easy tubeless set-up but really comes down to the tyre.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Speak to Matt or Si at 18 bikes. They were talking to someone about 36s the other day when I was in there.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Beside the Blunt, Velocity also make a 36 hole Dually ... wider than a Blunt for proper, not pretent 29+ :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

There's the Nimbus dominator 2 that's 36h but heavier still :|
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Beside the Blunt, Velocity also make a 36 hole Dually ... wider than a Blunt for proper, not pretent 29+ :wink:
I actually ordered a set of the dually's but after nearly 3 months of waiting got the KH rims. I'm now on a mission to cut weight from my kit and bike, 36 hole rims are now rare!

Fat tyre kicker

I've just bought some 27.5+ rims from eBay,a new bargain, however, if I'd have realised
That KH rims were now available in that size, I'd have probably gone for them as they
Are great rims. I know I'll be quoted about rotational mass etc but is that extra bit of
Weight not worth the strength and durability that comes with that ? It's never going to
Be a jumping flea with the Rohloff in the middle :|. For me, your set up seems pretty
Bombproof on a great frame, after recent reportings on carbon failings in cycling it
Would be the one place I wouldn't skimp. Sorry BigdummySteve if this isn't helpful
It's just my thoughts, which tyres are you using, can't remember if you posted that ?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

True an ECR with a rohloff will never be light but I came from a big dummy, my choices were something like ' what's a couple hundred extra grams, I've just shaved nearly 1/2 kg just by changing my crank!
At the moment I'm still running a rear rack ( surly nice rack) and two front panniers on it so there are easier options to save weight ( just brought a Nordisk telemark2 saving another 1kg) the reason behind the fervent weight saving is a recent exmoor trip up dunkery beacon. While my nallo2 has been a great home it's just too heavy on the back of a rack etc, I'm going to address my kit first and lighter rims/ tyres could possibly save me about 1/2 kg per wheel as a finishing touch.
I ride jogle on my dummy at around 100lbs loaded so I don't mind heavy but hills are hard work.

What is the consensus around the light bicycle carbon rims? They can come in any drilling?

Fat tyre kicker

Fair enough,it sounds like your not averse to a bit of a chunky ride :-bd
I have no personal knowledge of the light bicycle rims,the Whiskypartsco
Ones are well regarded in Fatbike circles ( pun intended) but I don't think
They list a 29' .Im sure somebody will know about those rims.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:Fair enough,it sounds like your not averse to a bit of a chunky ride :-bd
You've met Mrs Dummy then? :mrgreen:

Fat tyre kicker

:oops: I was not casting assumptions on your good lady's svelteness,
Just your iron horse of choice :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

BigdummySteve wrote:
What is the consensus around the light bicycle carbon rims? They can come in any drilling?
I've put 20,000km on a set of their 35mm rims. Ridden mainly on a rigid bike, they have some minor cosmetic marks but are true and, according to big Matt who made them, built up nicely.