GregMay

Re: Guy Martins round Britain

Post by GregMay »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:..Failing to navigate the Td with a page out of a book
Fixed that for you.
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

I was following my Garmin, and the trail was fairly obvious a lot of the time, but because I hadn’t downloaded the USA map background on to my device it just showed a line, and me as a dot on it.
Garmin only used when celestial navigation wasn't possible.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

He didn't do Tour Divide! He rode the GDMBR, sort of.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

mountainbaker wrote:He didn't do Tour Divide! He rode the GDMBR, sort of.
Well, he didn't even do that really did he.
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

Guy Martin wrote in his new book.
I wasn’t sure before if the whole Tour Divide experience was going to break me, but it hadn’t. It made me realise that if I put my mind to it I can do anything.
It's all getting very confusing. He thinks he did, some know he didn't and others think he did the GDMBR?

The power of media....
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Goebbels said
The English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie big, and stick to it.They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous.
And with that I Godwin'd myself out of the conversation. :lol:
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

johnnystorm wrote:Goebbels said
The English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie big, and stick to it.They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous.
He was probably still a bit miffed that we didn't land in Calais. Like we'd told him we would.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

gma wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:Goebbels said
He was probably still a bit miffed that we didn't land in Calais. Like we'd told him we would.
:lol: :-bd
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

All credit to the guy, but he likes making it hard for himself doesn't he. Saw a picture of the bike he attempted it on, Salsa with front forks and flat bars and Tri bars. like some of the stupid things I do :???:
Some of the best endurance self supported boys would be proud of 250 miles a day on full race bikes for 20 days, and only a handful could do it. (ok guy was supported)

All credit for him adding a bit more publicity to endurance cycling events, already I have heard of two people who intend to have a go at that coastal record, One seriously in 2017, but apparently questions to Guinness about the route, have received the answer we don't recognise that record.
Looks like some pioneer has to establish a modern recognised route.
The old git in the yellow socks
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Guinness need a massive kick in the slats daily. You should see the pack I have from them generated in 2011 when a cyclist I know enquired about riding the Year Record. Highlights were:-

"The event must be made on a pre-measured course that is perfectly level. Ideally, this should be an official athletics track. Where such a track is not used, the course must be measured and marked out by someone suitably qualified, such as a professional surveyor. This person should also confirm that the average gradient over the entire course is no greater than 1:1000. If the gradient is steeper than this, the record attempt must be made “uphill”."

"The entire attempt must be filmed in case further evidence is required."

I wish people would forget Guinness in terms of cycling records and leave them to be recognised by the community.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Dave Barter wrote: I wish people would forget Guinness in terms of cycling records and leave them to be recognised by the community.
Wiki Records :smile:
The old git in the yellow socks
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

D Faff Master wrote:Guy Martin wrote in his new book.
I wasn’t sure before if the whole Tour Divide experience was going to break me, but it hadn’t. It made me realise that if I put my mind to it I can do anything.
It's all getting very confusing. He thinks he did, some know he didn't and others think he did the GDMBR?

The power of media....

Nothing to do with media. He didn't do the official route, it's pretty simple really.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

GregMay wrote:

The power of media....

Nothing to do with media. He didn't do the official route, it's pretty simple really.
Well technically, as none of us actually witnessed Guy's attempt first hand we are therefore relying on media (internet) to provide information on the details. Therefore it has everything to do with media :D
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

rudedog wrote:
GregMay wrote:

The power of media....

Well technically, as none of us actually witnessed Guy's attempt first hand we are therefore relying on media (internet) to provide information on the details. Therefore it has everything to do with media :D
Edit - I'm not even going to bother try to argue with your illogical response. He had a SPOT on. http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide16i.p ... Guy_Martin

He was DQ'd by Matt. For not following the route. Simple as that.
jameso

Post by jameso »

About Guy's TDR DQ, he rode in (imo) a good style aside from the route-finding, he committed to the ride in a way I have a lot of respect for. I like how he tried to do it GPS free. I'm not suprised he was quite 'individual' in his approach and route, probably has/had no idea of his ride not being up to the route accuracy standards unless someone who reads the online threads tells him. It's easy to assume that everyone is fairly equally into social media, he's amiably out of synch with the world there. Not long before the ride he wasn't really aware of all the online info available, in a way that rung alarm bells but also said he was riding on his own terms, like he saw the 'Tour Divide' as a concept rather than anything strictly regulated - which is understandable if you look up the TD website and then just go on the 'underground + unregulated' thing without any online research. For those that have done it within the rules I can see the value in pushing to keep that framework respected, from another angle I think it's purely about what a rider takes from it - just call yourself out if you broke 'rules' (there's a load of debate on how strict those rules are anyway - another topic maybe though route accuracy isn't up for debate, that's fixed). You still started out on the Tour Divide if you dug deep and raced, you just didn't finish within the rules. If he understood that side of things I expect he'd self-relegate and still feel the ride was worth everything that he put into it?
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Appears the attempt is on channel 4 tonight at 21.00
"Guy Martin: Cycling home for Christmas"
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Not according to our satellite listings...
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Must be a regional thing.
We didn't get the richpips show the other night
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Ah, got that one!

19 kids and counting on c4and 24hrs in a&e on c47

Just reading his new book, glad I got it from the Library as I'd not recommend it :|
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Planners wrong!!

19 kids here as well....
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I highly suspect they just ditched it when his attempt ended so swiftly. Fair enough if he didn't quite make the time or got close but with only 3 days ( or whatever it was) done I'd guess they didn't have a programme...
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

I've never read so much crap from people commenting about a bloke who's pushing what he can do on a bike and giving wider coverage to cycling.

Question 1 -

Have you ridden over 2700miles over rough terrain in a very short period of time which was actually pretty competitive????

If answer is:

A - please please continue to comment as you have the insight into what it means to be on the limit day after day for hundreds of miles

B - just don't bother! As it's all internet talk.

(jameso - bravo)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

My god... that people would dare to comment, on an internet forum of all things.

Unthinkable.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Fanbois gotta fan
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

This thread is heading straight to STW :wink: