Genesis Longitude 2017

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gudfar

Genesis Longitude 2017

Post by Gudfar »

Hi All,
New to the forum and I was wonder if anyone has one of these machines yet. I would appreciate views on sizing. I have a 2015 at the moment but feel that the 19" frame is too big or more probably too long. After 2 years and many miles I have realised that I need to be comfier and suspect at 5' 10" that a 17.5" or medium would be a better fit so I am pondering on changing the frame. Looking forward to your opinions.
rich.mike

Re: Genesis Longitude 2017

Post by rich.mike »

I'm picking mine up today! I'm 6 foot and went for a large, sounds like you'd be a medium, can you compare to other bikes you have?
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Gudfar wrote:Hi All,
New to the forum and I was wonder if anyone has one of these machines yet. I would appreciate views on sizing. I have a 2015 at the moment but feel that the 19" frame is too big or more probably too long. After 2 years and many miles I have realised that I need to be comfier and suspect at 5' 10" that a 17.5" or medium would be a better fit so I am pondering on changing the frame. Looking forward to your opinions.
On the current bike what size stem are you running?

I an 5 10 ish with 33" legs and have always found the 17.5" too small.
Gudfar

Post by Gudfar »

Thanks for replies. I have changed the stem from the original 80mm for a 50mm and also fitted an inline seatpost but still feel stretched out. The bike is longer than my old Marin Attack Trail but it's a different beast and was hoping for more height at the front with the larger frame. I was also thinking that as the 2017 frame can take a suspension fork it may be higher at the front. At present the bike seems OK for speeding (relatively speaking) along the road but uncomfortable off road and taking in the scenery. Unfortunately stockists don't hold stocks of all sizes and one recommended a medium and another a large. Perhaps I'm not Genesis shaped, but I really like them!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I think part of the problem is full bikes always have the steering tube cut short,mainly for looks! Even my surly dummy was silly low. My Ecr is perfect with one spacer above the stem and a whole stack below, build your next bike from the frame or even get a new fork and don't cut it until you've put loads of miles on it.
Makes me bloody mad when a good fork is ruined for the sake of style.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Longitude is long in the TT. If I were 5'10" I'd certainly go for a M with the added bonus of potentially more clearance for a saddlepack.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

I've got the '2016' model and I'm 5' 10" and the medium fits fine.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

My mate has a 2016 model in large, I'm 5'11 and find it to be very comfy,
It is set up with a dropper post ( easy to microadjust height) and a zeroish
Reach stem with no stack height :-bd
@ Bigdummysteve I'm with you on cut steerer,doesn't make sense :|
Matt

Post by Matt »

5'11 and a M or 17" for a 2014/15 model which looks more like the new one not sure if its dimensions correlates though
Gudfar

Post by Gudfar »

Good info, the general consensus points towards the medium. I'll check with local dealers (local up here can be quite a distance!) to have a sit on one if poss. The loose plan is to sell my frame/forks and build up with my running gear keeping the 29" wheels with a view to go for 27.5+ when funds allow. This would be the least financially scary option as all the bits are a straight swap. I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

BigdummySteve wrote:I think part of the problem is full bikes always have the steering tube cut short,mainly for looks! Even my surly dummy was silly low. My Ecr is perfect with one spacer above the stem and a whole stack below, build your next bike from the frame or even get a new fork and don't cut it until you've put loads of miles on it.
Makes me bloody mad when a good fork is ruined for the sake of style.
Could just use a high(er)-rise stem to address the problem?

IME most suppliers leave them uncut for delivery to the shop and it's there that they are cut and usually once checking the customer for fit.

Been a longtime since I bought a full bike though :wink:
Gudfar

Post by Gudfar »

rich.mike wrote:I'm picking mine up today! I'm 6 foot and went for a large, sounds like you'd be a medium, can you compare to other bikes you have?
How is it?
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Lighter than I expected it to be! Setting it all up this weekend for tubeless and getting the fit right, seems perfect for bike packing, plenty of space in the frame for a bag, and a decent gap between the bars and front wheel for more stuff.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:My mate has a 2016 model in large, I'm 5'11 and find it to be very comfy,
It is set up with a dropper post ( easy to microadjust height) and a zeroish
Reach stem with no stack height :-bd
@ Bigdummysteve I'm with you on cut steerer,doesn't make sense :|
I'm glad you brought that up, what is the point of a dropper post on a bike packing bike?
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Hi Robmac, he doesn't or should say hasn't used it for Bikepacking yet,
It's his 'all round bike' if you like, he had a fatty and sold it and likes the
Way the 27.5+ rolls, the dropper post is,as I said micro-adjustable and
Easier When putting in the car, plus can be of use at trail centres etc.
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Well it's now tubeless, never had to wrestle a tyre off like this before, getting it off the head was a nightmare! Holding 30psi with no sealant which is great!
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Is it tubeless ready out of the box? Always run tubes so would be nice to have my first tubeless be relatively easy to set up! This looks to be the perfect bike for my off road stuff.
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Taped the rim, added a valve and it inflated perfectly. Rims and tyre are tubeless ready, just need tubeless rim tape.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

just need tubeless rim tape
Or any other type of tape.

May the bridges you burn light your way
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
just need tubeless rim tape
Or any other type of tape.

Buying the proper stuff would be against my ethos!

I used '100mph tape' from work, it's a weather resistant tape used in wind tunnel on vehicles, it makes gorilla tape look a bit soft!