montane minimus mitts.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jam bo

montane minimus mitts.

Post by jam bo »

anyone got some of these?

ride most of the winter in scott minus gloves which are great 99% of the time. the other 1% for they get really cold really quick once they wet out.

rather than ride in overly bulky gloves most of the time, the montane mitts look just the part.

anyone ever used them? ridden in them etc?

got a cheap set they don't want anymore?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: montane minimus mitts.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When things are that bad, I fit some Pogies. Even the 'basic' ones are way warmer than gloves.

http://www.hotpog.co.uk/
May the bridges you burn light your way
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

not exactly packable..

if I had to plan for using something like that, i'd probably go an do something else. ;-)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Fair enough :wink:

On the glove front, I've found the On-One Lobster glove to be very good when it's cold and/or damp and a pair on TN Tuffbag mitts to work wonders over normal gloves when it's cold/wet.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:a pair on TN Tuffbag mitts to work wonders over normal gloves when it's cold/wet.
I use these too. Pack down to nothing and keep the rain/cold off your hands, whilst wearing other gloves underneath.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've not got round to trying the Minimus gloves yet.

My go to packable lightweight glove are the Buffalo pertex / pile mitts. Great when it is wet and cold.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

i use pogies on the commuter as its much nicer than big thick gloves.

for propper cold rides i use mountaineering mitts.

mammot currently - they are lovely and warm , with room for thermal liners under and a pocket in the back for a heat pouch if needs be.

propper cold being the wrong side of -10.

at one point a few years ago i was riding to work because the diesel in the car had gelled...... It was full on 900g down jacket OVER a pertex pile and salopettes to stay warm - but i can attest that the studs on winter marathons work - i was about the only thing moving with any certainty.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I'm seconding the Buffalo mitts, warm when wet,even worn them as part
Of sleeping kit on a very cold night.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I heard theat Buffalo mitts were very slippy (despite being vaguely exciting bits of kit)

Lobster gloves are warmer than winter gloves, but not helpful when you 1 finger brake

After last years winter bivy my hands were suffering so badly I bought some pogies. They're excellent and whilst they look ridiculous my hands were much happier as a result

The drop bar pogies are bloody expensive, otherwise I'd get a set for commuting too
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

They Buffalo's can be a tad slippy,a length of 'textured' duck or bar tape
Can help with this on the lever blades.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

jam bo wrote:not exactly packable..

if I had to plan for using something like that, i'd probably go an do something else. ;-)
I know it's not what you asked for as a suggestion but why do they need to be packable? Once it's cold, the pogies just stay on the bike
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've minimus gloves - not mitts.

They came on the Divide and got used most nights. They get used fell running in the winter. They get used walking to the shops.

Can't fault them, and they are tiny.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

GregMay wrote:I've minimus gloves - not mitts.

They came on the Divide and got used most nights. They get used fell running in the winter. They get used walking to the shops.

Can't fault them, and they are tiny.
do they do a minimus glove? I can't find it on the montane website.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Possibly discontinued?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I tried some of the montane prism gloves and mitts on the other day, they were absolutely lovely. I actually thought about sticking some of the mitts down on my xmas list
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sealskinz mits are good - I use them for skiiing abroad and have survived -24 with warm pinkies. But don't write off pogies as they really do make for cosy hands as well as keeping rain and muck off. Hot pogs plus sealskinz winter cycling gloves have kept my hands dry and roasting in some truly horrible UK weather.
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

Has anybody tried pogies on a Jones bar? I'm wondering if they'd work well with the 45 degree sweep.

I'll need to sort something out if I'm doing the winter bivvy. The Tuff Bag mitts look great, but I'm thinking I'd have better control of brakes and gears with full fingered gloves. Or am I over thinking it, and riding in mitts works out fine? The bikes setup for 1 finger braking…
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll need to sort something out if I'm doing the winter bivvy. The Tuff Bag mitts look great, but I'm thinking I'd have better control of brakes and gears with full fingered gloves. Or am I over thinking it, and riding in mitts works out fine? The bikes setup for 1 finger braking…
I generally brake with my middle finger, when I have mitts on, I simply adapt.
Sealskinz mits are good
Do they have the liner like the gloves? The one that prevents you from getting your hand back inside if your hands are damp.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

gma wrote:Has anybody tried pogies on a Jones bar? I'm wondering if they'd work well with the 45 degree sweep.

Pogies in my jones bars are fine. I have ergon gp3s on them and will have to fit gp1s to let them twist enough for my to get my hands in easy enough

I have the tuff bags too but don't wear them for riding
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Pogies in my jones bars are fine.
Second that its a case of adapting.
I believe that there are Jones specific styles available but not sure who makes them.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

benp1 wrote:Pogies in my jones bars are fine.
Cheers Ben.
Mariner wrote:I believe that there are Jones specific styles available but not sure who makes them.
I went googling. There's some Jones related chat in the comments on here: http://bikepacker.com/pogies/

And Revelate seem to have over done it, though I bet they work really well… https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.c ... pbarpogies

Tuff Bag mitts are ordered. :-)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

gma wrote:
benp1 wrote:Pogies in my jones bars are fine.
Cheers Ben.
Mariner wrote:I believe that there are Jones specific styles available but not sure who makes them.
I went googling. There's some Jones related chat in the comments on here: http://bikepacker.com/pogies/

And Revelate seem to have over done it, though I bet they work really well… https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.c ... pbarpogies

Tuff Bag mitts are ordered. :-)
I meant to post that tuff bags are great but I use xl size (normal gloves are small) as it gives spacefor one finger braking.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

htrider wrote:Sealskinz mits are good - I use them for skiiing abroad and have survived -24 with warm pinkies. But don't write off pogies as they really do make for cosy hands as well as keeping rain and muck off. Hot pogs plus sealskinz winter cycling gloves have kept my hands dry and roasting in some truly horrible UK weather.

I have and use the gloves from sealskins, but if you are going to be taking them on and off I agree with Stu, this becomes a hassle due to the liner. But for rides when once they are on they are staying on, they are pretty good.

Drew
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Pogies or mitts, no real need for both I'd say
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:.
Sealskinz mits are good
Do they have the liner like the gloves? The one that prevents you from getting your hand back inside if your hands are damp.
Doesn't seem to be an issue but I think its because being a mit its easier to get your hand out so less chance of the liner coming out with it. Plus I guess it will be easier to get back in if it does (it hasn't happend to me yet)