what gps system are you using and how do rate them...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Re: what gps system are you using and how do rate them...

Post by dlovett »

Whenever I've ridden with you my Edge 1000 always said different things to your one I recall, speed altitude etc. Still used with a dynamo hub, I've never had a power issue with it.
Richard G wrote:Edge 1000... it's garbage. I get about 6 hours max on it now when using the map screen continuously. Plus, for some reason when it rains the screen decides to lock itself if I touch it.

I think I'll buy a replacement to my old Etrex 30 at some point. Not sure what though.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

for road bike I have a garmin edge 1000, not that impressed

for hiking I have a garmin montana 610
it's a chunky thing, but has been very reliable.
have a bar mount on order for use at BB200

also have a garmin fenix 3
....because one can never have too many gadgets
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I gave the new(ish) Lezyne Super GPS a run out at Gravel Rocks event this weekend (did you not make it gazaddy?), and other than it not having proper mapping, it's really quite impressive.
It does all the usual ride recording stuff, but also temperature and barometric altimeter.
Menus are functions use proper clicky buttons and are pretty intuitive.
The next bit will make some cringe, but it pairs (via bluetooth) to your smart phone so that you can send directions from Google maps. You type in or touch the point on the map (on your phone) that you need to get to and it spits out route options. You then share this to the unit and it gives a breadcrumb map and cue card type directions. It even displays emails and messages etc on the head unit so you can keep your phone out of harms way.
It's small and has an excellent mount (bar and/or 'out front') and 8-9 hours riding left it with 67% battery.
Most interesting to some will be the Live Tracking feature, where sends an email alert when you start a ride, giving a link to a live tracking page - relies on data connection obviously. It will show you where you are if you get lost - although I reckon the fail safe 'help I'm lost' solution is a grid reference app on your phone and an OS map.
It also plays with strava giving live segment tracking /:)
In the box I got were a heart rate monitor and wireless cadence gubbins.
I'll still be using my etrex 20 for ITTs, but for other riding, I'm going to be sticking with this.
Very good value I reckon.
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Another Garmin user here.

I went for the etrex 35 touch. That for a couple of reasons, mentioned in no particular order.
1. AA batteries
2. Usable for many activities (I use it for hiking, seakayaking, bikepacking, MTB, roadie, motorbiking). I have set different profiles for each activity, I will elaborate later.
3. expandable with SD card (I have topo map Denmark, nautical map of coastal Denmark, OSM map from Velomaps.
4. Ability to plan routes on the go (door to door navigation).
5. ANT+ capable
6. Bluetooth connection.

After I have had it for almost 2 years now, I'm very happy with it. There is some obvious improvements,(probably deliberately not incorporated by Garmin), that can be made. Especially screen resolution, but then they wouldn't sell many Edge Touring, and no possibility to Strava live segments, but then it would sneak into the roadie Edge line.
I especially like the ability to create profiles. It comes default with 8. (Hiking, bicycling,touring, MTB, hunting,fishing,Climbing, Geocache). Deleted them all and made my own. My profiles are as follows.

1. Roadie. No map, and 2 pages with data-fields. 8 on each page, with all the data I need. One page with actual readings and one with average readings. I have HR and cadence via ant+ with this setup. End of ride, connects with my phone via BT, and uploads to Garmin Connect (that also syncs with Strava).
2. MTB. One map page, one page with a graphic showing ascent descent, and 6 data fields. Speed, avg speed, trip,climbing total, trip time and HR. Connected to my phone via bluetooth, so wife can check on Garmin live tracker that I'm still moving even though I'm late according to the time i said I would be back (Chrashed badly)
3.Bike packing. Map page an one page with graphic and 6 fields (Graphic shows speed, bearing, Dist to dest and trip) Data-fields Total avg Speed, Avg speed moving, dist to next, sun down, time of day and battery-level. Connected to my phone via bluetooth, so wife can check on Garmin live tracker.
4. Hiking. One map page one page with large bearing, and 4 fields. Distance covered,sun down, Dist to next, time to next.
5 Seakayaing. Map page. One page with map. One with large compass and 4 data-fields. Direction to next, avg speed, sun down, trip. Connected to phone for live tracker.
6. Motorbike. Map (and for the fun of it i have a data-page showing , trip, avg speed moving, avg speed total, time stopped, battery indicator, eta dest.)

After I have had it for almost 2 years now, I'm very happy with it. There is some obvious improvements,(probably deliberately not incorporated by Garmin), that can be made.
I have had no freezing of the Unit. it works flawlessly. The connection to the phone is good, I have however turned of the the notification option on the Garmin, otherwise popups for mail, Facebook, calls comes on to the Garmin.)
As I mostly are in areas with GSM coverage, I'm happy with the live tracker so I can let relatives know.
The Garmin Connect software is OK, but not super. Strava is much better (and thus good that Garmin Connect syncs immediately with Strava).
It's possible to plan a route on the go, the unit will work as your cars GPS, and make the route for you. you can set it up for car, bike and hiking. And the you have the usual options of shortest, fastest and avoid xxx,yyy,zzzz.
You can also plan a route by pushing and scrolling the screen. however that would be a PITA a cold night under a tarp.
Planning a route is straight forward on the Basecamp from Garmin. But just as easy on other map source planners (GPX file).
I cant understand why Garmin haven't done the following . A Basecamp App, so one could plan a route, with POI and all, and then let it sync with the GPS via the Bluetooth. It's daft to need to hook it to a computer via a cable, and then export (or drag and drop if using other service). It's just cumbersome, and almost last millennium. And they have an option to share wireless with another Garmin unit (GPX files). Why not phones and tablets :cry:
I always get comments from the roadie crowd when I turn up with my "brick" as it is labeled in the club. But I have not the same issues as they do(running out of power, sync issues, loosing signals and the usual Garmin hick ups.)

Pros
Versatility in many activities.
Connectivity with ANT+ and Bluetooth.
Expandable memory.
Stability.

Cons
Screen resolution (compared to edge).
Battery life is a bit optimistic on Garmin's webpage.
Not usable with gloves.
No wireless planning tool/transfer
It is impossible to use with gloves however (haven't tried one of them thingys you can put on your gloves to make units believe you have the naked finger though)

Lars
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

Boxelder - unfortunately never made Gravel rocks, work commitments...had to pull out.

It looks like its between the etrex 30 or Oregon 650t........the O/H says hurry up and make up your mind Xmas is nearly here...
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

A new standard in garmin shitness at the weekend. Raced at the uk solo 24 champs at relentless 24. The Etrex 30x was displaying HR data, total and stopped time, distance, ascent etc on the relevant screen. All of these were correct so far as I could see.

But the gpx file has no data for the first 10 hours. Which includes the route. Obviously no issue for this as it was a timed event but if gpx data was needed for proof of an ITT then I wouldn't have it.
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

I've only ever used my phone (with the Gaia GPS app for GPX files, and CycleStreets for road/sustrans route navigation prompts). My phone isn't waterproof, so it isn't ideal for UK bikepacking.

I usually power it by leaving the screen off, in aeroplane mode, and recharging overnight from an external battery. I've got a Sinewave charger that I've not gotten around to fitting, as all my bikepacking trips have been less than 72 hours.

I like the look of the Lezyne Super GPS. It looks like there might be some interesting posts on that coming up here...

http://ridinggravel.com/accessories/com ... sh-gravel/
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

Well...bought on now. Garmin Dakota 20 with full 1:50 GB os maps +4gb sd card ...just wait for postman now..
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget