When you're not sure if it's a spoof....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Re: When you're not sure if it's a spoof....

Post by Moder-dye »

Shetland is only a couple of hundred miles of packrafting north of there :lol: Just think how extreme it is here (whispers....it's not really)

The ferry man wouldn't take my bike over when we were camping at Durness :cry: Said he was only running his little boat. Ah well next time...
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

While the video might come across as a little bit hipster twatty, some of the responses to it on here don't half come across as pompous.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

A) This thread belongs on STW :wink:
Moder-dye wrote:Shetland is only a couple of hundred miles of packrafting north of there :lol: Just think how extreme it is here (whispers....it's not really)

The ferry man wouldn't take my bike over when we were camping at Durness :cry: Said he was only running his little boat. Ah well next time...
B) You did better than me. Many years ago we tried but it was just after their Highland games. Apparently the ferryman was too pished and wouldn't be fit to sail for the next couple of days :roll:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Once over the initial 'Shoreditch Hipsters thing..' I actually enjoyed it & think it's a really well made little film :geek:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

some of the responses to it on here don't half come across as pompous.
This is probably me, so I apologise as pompous was never my intention. I was going from the angle of concern and responsibility - they can be as hipster as they like, that doesn't matter but surely there's a responsibility on everyone to reinforce the principles of good practice while in the public domain?
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: surely there's a responsibility on everyone to reinforce the principles of good practice while in the public domain?
I've held off on posting here again, but I'm sorry Stu - No there isn't. Not even slightly.

If there was we'd not have people pushing out "sick edits" of people shredding the crap out of trails - running slowly across wet moorland trails that suffer erosion already - aggressive brushing on already damaged rock . You can stack this up with many examples across many sports, not just cycling. Extend this to the real world and you make assumptions that maybe the media should reinforce the principals of good practice in society - I present to you the Daily Mail, Sun and so on. It's not a responsibility - it's a stance. They stance they are trying to portrey may differ to what you'd like it to be - but it's just that - it's not a responsibility.

We're assuming our ethics and approach to cycling and the wild are one that the greater world take on board, let alone are even aware of. They simply are not, nor do most of them care to adhere to them even if they do. Take littering as a basic example in an urban setting let alone the wild. Many people don't GAF, they will drop their rubbish when and where they want it. It only gets worse when people start to get outside where they are used to being and apply their similar logic. I don't like it either, but there is nothing stopping them acting in such manner other than poor education to how they should act in the wild.

However, this approach to portraying what we do while adventure cycling and the vibe (for want of a better word) and nature (gravel) of the video are two separate things - one you can be annoyed at; practices in the wild. But the other one, the "Shoreditch/Northern Quarter/Whereever hipsters" that are enjoying our sport and appear to irk so many of you; you have no reason to be pissed off at. Other than they are out there doing something you want to be doing - and you can't - try to be less bitter at your existence or do something to change it. It's one step from becoming a "do you enduro bro?" cliché. Bitter bikepacker is bitter because other people are enjoying something we think they shouldn't have access too.

/rant

Time for coffee.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but there is nothing stopping them acting in such manner other than poor education to how they should act in the wild.
Is this not where responsibility comes in? A responsibility to educate.
However, this approach to portraying what we do while adventure cycling and the vibe (for want of a better word) and nature (gravel) of the video are two separate things - one you can be annoyed at; practices in the wild.
This is the one I get annoyed at, hence a desire to educate people not to light fires, leave rubbish, cut down trees, etc. I know many people won't listen and will carry on regardless driven by stupidity, laziness or at best ignorance but that doesn't mean I'm going to think f**k it, join them and stop trying ... I owe that much to everyone who can respect their surroundings and also, to myself.
But the other one, the "Shoreditch/Northern Quarter/Whereever hipsters" that are enjoying our sport and appear to irk so many of you; you have no reason to be pissed off at.
Personally, this doesn't piss me off. I've spent the last 8 years trying to encourage people to go bikepacking and I'm not selective but if my love for the subject and shared enthusiasm aren't obvious, then maybe I've failed?
try to be less bitter at your existence or do something to change it.
Sometimes saddened and occasionaly pissed-off at the lack of respect for something we're merely short term custodions for ... but never bitter.

Tea for me :wink:
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

But the other one, the "Shoreditch/Northern Quarter/Whereever hipsters" that are enjoying our sport and appear to irk so many of you; you have no reason to be pissed off at. Other than they are out there doing something you want to be doing - and you can't - try to be less bitter at your existence or do something to change it.
Not sure where you are getting that vibe that lots of people are irked by these guys and have bitter existences because of it. Maybe all those posts have been deleted?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Owwwww. Having just read these remarks I agree with it all. But i to now need a coffee n cake with maybe a whiskey in it. Then im heading up into woods for a fire n I'm going to leave all my rubbish everywhere so that other people can see it :-bd hopefully some of them will pick it up? I might even find a dog toffee put it in a plastic bag then throw it in a tree so it looks festive for Xmas
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

GregMay wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote: surely there's a responsibility on everyone to reinforce the principles of good practice while in the public domain?
I've held off on posting here again, but I'm sorry Stu - No there isn't. Not even slightly.

If there was we'd not have people pushing out "sick edits" of people shredding the crap out of trails - running slowly across wet moorland trails that suffer erosion already - aggressive brushing on already damaged rock . You can stack this up with many examples across many sports, not just cycling. Extend this to the real world and you make assumptions that maybe the media should reinforce the principals of good practice in society - I present to you the Daily Mail, Sun and so on. It's not a responsibility - it's a stance. They stance they are trying to portrey may differ to what you'd like it to be - but it's just that - it's not a responsibility.

We're assuming our ethics and approach to cycling and the wild are one that the greater world take on board, let alone are even aware of. They simply are not, nor do most of them care to adhere to them even if they do. Take littering as a basic example in an urban setting let alone the wild. Many people don't GAF, they will drop their rubbish when and where they want it. It only gets worse when people start to get outside where they are used to being and apply their similar logic. I don't like it either, but there is nothing stopping them acting in such manner other than poor education to how they should act in the wild.

However, this approach to portraying what we do while adventure cycling and the vibe (for want of a better word) and nature (gravel) of the video are two separate things - one you can be annoyed at; practices in the wild. But the other one, the "Shoreditch/Northern Quarter/Whereever hipsters" that are enjoying our sport and appear to irk so many of you; you have no reason to be pissed off at. Other than they are out there doing something you want to be doing - and you can't - try to be less bitter at your existence or do something to change it. It's one step from becoming a "do you enduro bro?" cliché. Bitter bikepacker is bitter because other people are enjoying something we think they shouldn't have access too.

/rant

Time for coffee.
Was it really worth posting that tosh? This whole thread comprises broadly innocuous (IMO) forum banter / blather which has about as much significance as a fart in a gale.

Rants of your ilk belong in the home for histrionics and melodrama, and we know where that is, eh?

:cool: :wink: :cool: :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blimey Colin, see what you've started!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

:oops:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Dog toffee :lol:
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Did somebody mention LITTER ?

You can measure the degree of civilisation of a society by its LITTER !
(pls no clever tw*ts saying the more LITTER the more it's civilised :mrgreen: )

So where does that leave us ?

Hopefully as long as the lads leave no LITTER then they're doin alright (they ought to wear helmets though, even a small crash can finish you off if you hit your head on a rock)

Oh... and having a fire is wonderful so long as you can't tell they were there the following morning...
Otherwise it's LITTER :mrgreen:

(I'll go to bed now to sleep it off)
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Wow! It's surprising the passion an advert can arouse in some people. :-O
May you always have tail wind.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Dog toffee is disgusting

Put the morons in the stocks for a week and throw dog turds at em

It's not the turd droppers fault, it's the owners...

Colin ye should nae have started this.... :roll:
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

"Oh... and having a fire is wonderful so long as you can't tell they were there the following morning..."

Thinking.... where do they get the wood from.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In short I agree with Stuart

(not going to bed yet)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ok, Just to recap then;

1. It's a video that some people like and some people don't :|
2. The people in it are from London (or down south somewhere) :cool:
3. They didn't appear to ride very far, though this is relative depending on your point of view. :???:
4. They had fun :smile:
5. But they had an open fire :sad:

Is that about it?

Shall we;

a) Move on?
b) Have a go at making a better video?
c) Go for a ride?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

At the risk of continuing the thread I don't think anyone has been critical of the video quality :lol:

So options a and/or c :-bd
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Moder-dye wrote:Shetland is only a couple of hundred miles of packrafting north of there :lol: Just think how extreme it is here (whispers....it's not really).
That is indeed quite a paddle: hats off to you sir, and your incredible achievement. Did you make a short film of it, by any chance?
I've just taken a Google Streetview tour of Shetland and it looks rather pleasant. There don't appear to be many bridleways, though. Are your trails of the 'cheeky' variety?
Is Bobby's Bus Stop still attracting business?
Moder-dye wrote:The ferry man wouldn't take my bike over when we were camping at Durness :cry: Said he was only running his little boat. Ah well next time...
I had a great climbing trip at Cape Wrath a few years ago. But that was before they sold-out to the masses, opened a tea shop at the lighthouse and started catering to the plebs... :wink:

Isn't the internet great? :-bd
May you always have tail wind.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I quite like the idea of 'b' and I have a longstanding idea resurfacing :wink:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Ha! No and oddly no I've not paddled that funnily enough :lol:

Yes Shetland is a pleasant place if not a tad breezy at times. No bridleways (we're in Scotland don't you know?) so responsible non- motorised use abounds if you don't get stuck in the peat bogs. There are plenty of tracks ( usually to peat banks) but they don't normally interconnect so an off road bike route can be hard work to make sense and usually involves some HAB. Some very nice road rides though.

Bobbys bus stop has been lacking some tlc the last few times I went by but Unst is lovely
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Mavis Grind C-to C is a bitch though....m :wink:

Used to have to travel round Shetland with work 10-15 years ago. I still remember a night in Baltasound when the rain was getting blown up the roof... Fun times :-bd
Give the dirt a little room.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

:lol: Yes that is a real man's C2C :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I quite like the idea of 'b' and I have a longstanding idea resurfacing :wink:
Can I be in it?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer