Wanted: nearly everything to start adventures!

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rockbus

Wanted: nearly everything to start adventures!

Post by Rockbus »

Hi all
I’ve just bought a boardman adv 8.9 gravel bike And really want to start some touring adventures.
I’ve got the bike, tent, camping stove but basically after most other things (but in particular bike bags and sleeping bag)

Don’t want to spend too much as I’m just starting out, so if any of you have some kit that you have upgraded or just don’t use anymore that might be suitable then let me know.
Cheers
Paul
Lazarus

Re: Wanted: nearly everything to start adventures!

Post by Lazarus »

Replied to the other thread
1. Podsac front roll free on planet X if you want a look
2. Unused 7 litre alpkit Seat pack (£35)
3. Apidura front roll and top pack (£45)

Alpkit
https://alpkit.com/products/koala-2020
Ok space wise for summer limited for winter but never used by me ( forgot I bought it as part of my C2W scheme which took 9 months to arrive due to covid and bought the wildcat

Apidura
https://www.apidura.com/shop/expedition-handlebar-pack/
Older version of this but with this
https://www.apidura.com/shop/expedition ... ry-pocket/

It's a much older version of that but still waterproof and working well
vdubber67

Post by vdubber67 »

Aldi had some super cheap lightweight sleeping bags last week...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The planetx kit is rebranded generic Chinese stuff but it’s meant to be OK according to those who have used it.

Have a look at the “reviews “ part of this website, Stu has written a few pieces about starting out with cheap kit. There’s also the TLS article on not taking as much kit 😉

Worth remembering that even “cheap” kit will be fine in benign conditions such as an English summer. It’s just that the better quality kit tends to handle rough weather better and for longer. Our first setup was an Alpkit Rig3.5 with poles cut from an old tent set and whatever pegs we had lying around.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The podsac dry bag I have ( used by the kids ) is waterproof but it's not lightweight being a sort of rubberised material.
Agree with the above cheap stuff will work esp in ok weather expensive stuff will work in terrible weather and last a lifetime

My first set up was strapping a dry bag to the bars with a strap and cut up old poles with a tarp. Took way to much stuff and still carry way to much food ( my great fear is hunger and no food as there is no fat to burn on me and I last about 30-45 mins once hungry .)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just realised having started the Summer Kit List thread I've a pair of Apidura Food Pouch bags https://www.apidura.com/shop/backcountry-food-pouch/ that I haven't used for five years. £20 the pair posted? Pretty sure they are the smaller size.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I've got a 15 degrees comfort rated synthetic sleeping bag that I believe weighs 650g and packs pretty small.

Possibly a bit too thin, for the UK, most of the time. I'd love you to get some use out of it, and selecting overnighters based on the weather forecast you definately could, so if you fancy it pop us a message.

*Warning going on a bit of a ramble here so feel free to ignore*
I look back misty eyed at my early days with knocked together kit. No dry bags, or packable sleeping mat, or tarp, I picked up a mattress protector from a local (mattress) shop for free. Wrapped mattress protector round assorted sleeping kit, rolled it all up, and bunged it on the pannier rack, maybe with a binbag.

Had a nap early as had been partying with said mate and already knackered. Woke up at 9pm chilly and realised it was only getting colder. It was February in the Peaks mind, and fool could have predicted this. My only way to keep warm was to keep pedaling. Combined this with walking from the frosty roads. Defiant stubbornness pushed me all the way through the night into a glorious snow-kissed sunrise. The hope those rays sent me. That cuppa in the Hathersage pub still keeps its spot in my top 5 cups of tea ever.

With "nice proper" kit I don't live that line so close to adventure any more. There are many other parts of that trip that deserve their own story, but my ramble is long enough.

Cherish these moments, learn from every mistake, live the adventures.
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

Thanks for the offer but one thing I’ve been told is to make sure I spend what I can on a sleeping bag.

Love your ‘ramble’! I’m taking this up at 50 with the whole idea of getting some adventure and fun back in my life!

quote=benconnolli post_id=295189 time=1662303547 user_id=4665]
I've got a 15 degrees comfort rated synthetic sleeping bag that I believe weighs 650g and packs pretty small.

Possibly a bit too thin, for the UK, most of the time. I'd love you to get some use out of it, and selecting overnighters based on the weather forecast you definately could, so if you fancy it pop us a message.

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

benconnolli wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:59 pm *Warning going on a bit of a ramble here so feel free to ignore*
I look back misty eyed at my early days with knocked together kit. No dry bags, or packable sleeping mat, or tarp, I picked up a mattress protector from a local (mattress) shop for free. Wrapped mattress protector round assorted sleeping kit, rolled it all up, and bunged it on the pannier rack, maybe with a binbag.

Had a nap early as had been partying with said mate and already knackered. Woke up at 9pm chilly and realised it was only getting colder. It was February in the Peaks mind, and fool could have predicted this. My only way to keep warm was to keep pedaling. Combined this with walking from the frosty roads. Defiant stubbornness pushed me all the way through the night into a glorious snow-kissed sunrise. The hope those rays sent me. That cuppa in the Hathersage pub still keeps its spot in my top 5 cups of tea ever.

With "nice proper" kit I don't live that line so close to adventure any more. There are many other parts of that trip that deserve their own story, but my ramble is long enough.

Cherish these moments, learn from every mistake, live the adventures.
:-bd
Rockbus wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:43 pm Thanks for the offer but one thing I’ve been told is to make sure I spend what I can on a sleeping bag.
That's not bad advice, but I'd expand it to sleeping bag and mat. You can have the best sleeping bag in the world, but on a thin or uninsulated mat, you're going to be cold, uncomfortable, or both.

Sorry, I don't have any kit that would suit. Although, now I think about it, I have a second down bag identical to the one I use as a summer bag that I was thinking of getting rid of... Deuter Trek Lite 200. 9°C comfort rating, so possibly a bit lightweight for your needs?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

make sure I spend what I can on a sleeping bag.
Uk is a weird place and i have one for summer, one for 3 season use[quilt] and a winter one - i dont see how you can get one that will work all year round, even with a quilt [ though two would] All you get for more money is a lighter bag not a warmer one [ generally]
I have used an Aldi one for summer use[ the boy had my good one] - its ok as its plenty warm enough
That said too cold is too cold and worth avoiding