Bank details to a stranger?

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Bank details to a stranger?

Post by Rasta »

I'm selling something. >£400
They want to transfer the money to my bank.
I'm not using PayPal. It is not to a Nigerian Prince. :roll:

1. Is it safe to give bank details?
2. When my account shows the money, can it be cancelled, recovered, bounce?
3. Is recorded delivery with the Post Office the best way to confirm delivery and protect myself?

Cheers.
Escape Goat

Re: Bank details to a stranger?

Post by Escape Goat »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10

1. Is it safe to give bank details?
To someone you know, or a business you trust. Sure.
2. When my account shows the money, can it be cancelled, recovered, bounce?
Nope. not usually. Money comes into your account, that's it, no givesybacksies. Call your bank and confirm this.
3. Is recorded delivery with the Post Office the best way to confirm delivery and protect myself?
It will confirm a package was delivered, not what was in it, but if anything, you have the upper hand in this instance, you're receiving the money, but their trust is in you to deliver.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Your bank details were on every cheque you ever wrote ( if that old ) so it's unlikely anyone would do much with the info ( visa number is a very different matter ) . I think it's relatively safe

Bank transfer is less likely to be claimed back than PayPal but may be of it's fraud ( again unlikely )

Signed for should be fine but as noted all you can prove is you delivered something of about that weight

Personally I would prefer to receive a bank transfer and I would prefer to pay via PayPal( always sides with the buyer IME)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With regard to bank details, no one can do much with them - aside from pay you obviously.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 pm Your bank details were on every cheque you ever wrote
This
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The only concern is identity theft. Whilst the details themselves can't be used for direct crime or fraud, they are part of your 'identity' and can end up being part of a wider scam to get false passports etc. etc. This shouldn't affect you directly but its still worth being a bit careful as to who you give the info out to.
psling

Post by psling »

There always has to be an element of trust, it's a chance we take trading online.
The buyer is probably asking their mates whether they should transfer >£400 to someone they don't know on the off-chance they may receive the advertised goods.... :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:03 pm The only concern is identity theft. Whilst the details themselves can't be used for direct crime or fraud, they are part of your 'identity' and can end up being part of a wider scam to get false passports etc. etc. This shouldn't affect you directly but its still worth being a bit careful as to who you give the info out to.
Bank details + address can be used as positive ID for some applications (I know this as used to work in industry). I'd be wary of handing over both to the same individual.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

In what context was this used ?
I have never been asked my bank details to prove ID ( normally just address DOB ( date of birth) and something else

Tbh who other than your bank would have these to know it's true or not and I would not provide them if asked for ID purposes.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I built a system called Callvalidate that can use your bank and address details to positively ID you against data held by a credit reference agency. It also works with credit cards. The context is online ID verification for all sorts of applications from insurance to gaming.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Cheer for reply and makes sense as to why a service like that would want that info but i have never been asked mine, except by the bank
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Thanks for the replies.
I hadn't thought about the possibility of signing for the parcel but denying the contents. Opens up a lot of possibilities for theft.

I'll just stick to what is on my cheques and walk away if they ask for more.

The reason for not using PayPal for a large amount is because of what was mentioned above - (I heard) PayPal usually takes the side of the buyer.