WTD - light tarp, shaped - anything going?

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

WTD - light tarp, shaped - anything going?

Post by jameso »

Looking for something similar to the Bearpaw Lair / Zpacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp - a shaped tarp suitable for a pyramid pitch with a single pole. Light and waterproof, dyneema maybe. No need for bug net or floor but would take them as part of the system.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: WTD - light tarp, shaped - anything going?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nothing to sell you sorry James but I've had a Lair and a DCF pocket tarp and they're both good. However, I find the Gatewood cape superior to either. The fact it provides 360 degree cover* makes a real difference and there's really not much of a weight penalty.

*obviously you can use it with he doors open too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks. I have a BP Lair already, was having a look at Reg's Gatewood cape a couple of weeks ago. 310g is light enough. £185 online - is that the going rate?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:17 pm ... the Gatewood cape ....
...do you happen to know if the pole length is the same for the cape and the Lair?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

£185 online - is that the going rate?
It appears to be although it was only a few months ago that they were less than £120. :shock:
..do you happen to know if the pole length is the same for the cape and the Lair?
GW is 114cm, you could put a Lair up with that but something a bit longer would likely pitch better. The cape also needs a pole with a tipped top to fit into an eyelet.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:36 pm
£185 online - is that the going rate?
It appears to be although it was only a few months ago that they were less than £120. :shock:
..do you happen to know if the pole length is the same for the cape and the Lair?
GW is 114cm, you could put a Lair up with that but something a bit longer would likely pitch better. The cape also needs a pole with a tipped top to fit into an eyelet.
Thanks, though that price hike has damped down the 'just buy it' thoughts earlier. Did seem a bit pricey. Only available through ultralightoutddor.co.uk it seems and they have a margin to add.
RIP

Post by RIP »

The bloke at outdoor.sk might have some under the counter? Ken somebody is it? Good deals there a while ago. When I got mine I think Boners then bought all his discounted stock up in the space of about ten minutes!
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Blimey. He's got some on top of the counter too - https://www.outdoorline.sk/en/tents/s ... wood-cape

Amazing price. Tax on top? Even so.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bargaintastic there Reg :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:57 pm Bargaintastic there Reg :-bd
Get in there James, you know you want to :smile: .

atk

Post by atk »

Still have to bring the order up to 140£ or so before they'll ship (through the website anyway)
RIP

Post by RIP »

atk wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:27 pm
Still have to bring the order up to 140£ or so before they'll ship (through the website anyway)
Bung the guy an email, you never know. He was extremely pleasant and helpful to me and posted just the GW. Tell him the Boners sent you :smile: .

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

James I can sell you my cape with an inner and poles for a decent price as the Big Agnes will do me for now
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
jameso

Post by jameso »

All sorted, thanks Dave. Thanks for all the input everyone :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sorry to come back to this one but I don't deserve a new thread for it.

Stu, I was tinkering and fettling my Gatewood on the slate trip and wondered if an even longer pole was a stupid idea? Obv I already have your one with the extension and I always seem to use it with that - bit more headroom, and airflow underneath. Just wondered whether to try another, say, 3" or 4" for even more headroom (gives old codgers like me with creaky bones more wriggle room when changing). A higher gap at the bottom wouldn't seem to be detrimental? I mean it wouldn't let any more rain in (apart from in a typhoon maybe). I feel a bit silly even asking, after giving BDS so much grief about the, IMHO, overly-commodious height of his Alt... don't say it Reg, don't say it.. phew...

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, I was tinkering and fettling my Gatewood on the slate trip and wondered if an even longer pole was a stupid idea? Obv I already have your one with the extension and I always seem to use it with that - bit more headroom, and airflow underneath. Just wondered whether to try another, say, 3" or 4" for even more headroom (gives old codgers like me with creaky bones more wriggle room when changing). A higher gap at the bottom wouldn't seem to be detrimental? I mean it wouldn't let any more rain in (apart from in a typhoon maybe). I feel a bit silly even asking, after giving BDS so much grief about the, IMHO, overly-commodious height of his Alt... don't say it Reg, don't say it.. phew...
As ever ... it depends. Speaking personally, I think they pitch better with a shorter pole. However, they will pitch higher but at the expense of protection, given that the gap around the edge is now higher. I see in your picture that you're angling your pole, you'd gain another 2" if you had in upright ... and some strength too. :wink:

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:03 pm [quote. I see in your picture that you're angling your pole, you'd gain another 2" if you had in upright ... and some strength too. :wink:
Not at his age Stu :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:03 pm it depends
I knew that was coming :smile:
However, they will pitch higher but at the expense of protection, given that the gap around the edge is now higher.
Mmm understood and agreed but when I was out there the rain didn't intrude with the extension fitted, although admittedly it wasn't coming at me horizontally.
I see in your picture that you're angling your pole, you'd gain another 2" if you had it upright..
Fnar :wink: . I quite like the angle as it gives more floor space 'behind' it but yes point taken.

OK, I'll keep fiddling a bit more before I hassle you again. Might try a temporary extension and see what happens.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you are just looking for more airflow, its worth having a play with the angle of the whole tarp. I find that it tends to default to the back end being close to the floor and the front being quite high. A bit of fiddling will get it level or even leaning slightly forward (this is all with the pole vertical) which helps with airflow round the sides. Pin up the door and its airflow-tastic
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye it was more for the height but I do already use the two 'side' lifters with some 0.5mm with any sticks lying around. Tis true that the back sits low and the front high so yes ta I'll fiddle about with that a bit.

Think I've already mentioned I pack it with the rear guy loop just poking out next to the pocket's zip. When setting up I put the pocket on the ground, shove a peg into that loop, then simply pull the pocket away from it, which speeds things up a lot. It almost erects itself, which let's face it can be a handy trick in all sorts of situations especially at my age as MaM says.

jameso

Post by jameso »

Think I've already mentioned I pack it with the rear guy loop just poking out next to the pocket's zip. When setting up I put the pocket on the ground, shove a peg into that loop, then simply pull the pocket away from it, which speeds things up a lot.
:-bd Top tip.

One Q I have in setting this up, does anyone use prussics for tensioning tarp lines?
I was going to add line locks to the cape but the tie-out loops are closed/sewn-in and if I was hiking I'd not want anything attached there when used as a poncho. I know they work for more safety critical things but that's high load, larger diameter rope and not loaded for long before moving (unless things have all got a bit Touching The Void). Was going to use some throw line hooked to the tie-out loops with a prussic loop to attach the line to the peg.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't bother with any tensioners on mine James. Simple fixed length lines with a couple of loops tied in.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:01 pm I don't bother with any tensioners on mine James. Simple fixed length lines with a couple of loops tied in.
That's what it came with, but I thought I knew better ; )
It now has some short lengths of line with loops on the end and a prussik option that seems really secure under a bit of load. I expect a wet night in Wales will be my first opportunity find out the original loops were the right idea.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got some 1mm Dymeena if you want some - 0.5g / m :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

jameso wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:19 pm
Think I've already mentioned I pack it with the rear guy loop just poking out next to the pocket's zip. When setting up I put the pocket on the ground, shove a peg into that loop, then simply pull the pocket away from it, which speeds things up a lot.
:-bd Top tip.

One Q I have in setting this up, does anyone use prussics for tensioning tarp lines?
I was going to add line locks to the cape but the tie-out loops are closed/sewn-in and if I was hiking I'd not want anything attached there when used as a poncho. I know they work for more safety critical things but that's high load, larger diameter rope and not loaded for long before moving (unless things have all got a bit Touching The Void). Was going to use some throw line hooked to the tie-out loops with a prussic loop to attach the line to the peg.
I use dyneema prussik guys on my hammocking tarps (and everything else usually). Never had problems with them slipping. Usually made out of Zing It, Lash It or other UPMWE (whatever) as Stu mentions. Think I've used from 1 to 3 mm dia. Some people mention mixing diameters for better grip but I've not found it necessary.

If you do use it worth learning how to splice the stuff. Better / stronger than notes in dyneema which can be a little slippery. Piece of cake and good info about it on hammockforum.net (US hammocking site). Handy to know how to max fixed loops, eyelets and buried (sp?) ends for that ultra-pro look :cool:

FR Jones are also a good source of materials - search arboriculturists throw lines.