Wtd: carbon fibre tubing

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Wtd: carbon fibre tubing

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry for being so needy :o

Carbon fibre tubing for my mark1 handlebar harness. Should be thicker walled (there's plenty tubes going for a few quid on ebay but all 1mm wall thickness) sp at least 2 or 3mm... don't need it to be too long but should have an internal diameter wide enough for me to have a doubled up Voile strap go through it.

I will try and draw a picture below... Dont wanna pay much so it should be something that you just have offcut ready for the bin or recycling. I have some remnants of carbon steerer offcut lying about but doubt they'd be wide enough internally. I'll pay postage or collect in person.

About 5cm lengths x 2
redefined_cycles

Re: Wtd: carbon fibre tubing

Apologies for the babyish looking pic.

Green: extra long or short voile strap

White: DrJons strapdeck

Pink: the carbon tubing

The plan is to secure the strapdeck away from the bars by using the carbon tubing. Might add some sugru at either end to protect the bars/strapdeck.

The voile strap will be short if I plan to just use them 2 straps to secure the strapdeck to the bars and then another couple of long ones to secure the drybag to the strapdeck. Or I could just use the one (x2) length of voile strap to secure to the bars the the bag to the strapdeck.

Hopefully that explanation might help someone decide if they have something appropriate lying about. Pity as I could have saved some of the carbon Sonder Transmitter tubing and cut it down to size. That way I could have advertised the beauty of their Sonder in my bar harness :grin: CM would have been so proud of me...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Does it need to be carbon fibre? A bit of plastic waste pipe or conduit that length isn't going to be much heavier, and probably strong for whatever you're planning to do with it.

Two of these? https://www.toolstation.com/solvent-wel ... ing/p81292
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:20 pm Does it need to be carbon fibre? A bit of plastic waste pipe or conduit that length isn't going to be much heavier, and probably strong for whatever you're planning to do with it.

Actually... You're right. I had thought of some plastic pipe first but imagined it might be too flexi. Now on second thoughts it's obviously not gonna as it's too short a piece... Thanks Phil (got your name right? :smile: ?)
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:25 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:20 pm Does it need to be carbon fibre? A bit of plastic waste pipe or conduit that length isn't going to be much heavier, and probably strong for whatever you're planning to do with it.

Actually... You're right. I had thought of some plastic pipe first but imagined it might be too flexi. Now on second thoughts it's obviously not gonna as it's too short a piece... Thanks Phil (got your name right? :smile: ?)
70p each, or you could get 3 metres and have enough to do 30 harnesses for about 3 quid :grin: In seriousness, the pipe has an OD of 32mm (40mm is also standard), whereas the couplers will have an ID of 32mm, and probably a bit thicker wall. Maybe go to B&Q or Wickes, etc. where you can actually see them before you buy. Will be a bit more expensive but probably not going to bankrupt you.

Dave :lol: don't worry.
redefined_cycles

:smile: thanks Dave...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

No probs. BTW, I tried something similar a while ago - think I used 15mm conduit and webbing straps, but the principle was the same. It didn't work as well as it did in my head because I imagined the conduit sticking straight out horizontally, but in reality there was nothing else to hold it up, and, gravity... so it spaced the whole thing off the bar but my MYOG harness wasn't as stiff as I thought and it sat too low. You may have figured out something better though.
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:43 pm No probs. BTW, I tried something similar a while ago - think I used 15mm conduit and webbing straps, but the principle was the same. It didn't work as well as it did in my head because I imagined the conduit sticking straight out horizontally, but in reality there was nothing else to hold it up, and, gravity... so it spaced the whole thing off the bar but my MYOG harness wasn't as stiff as I thought and it sat too low. You may have figured out something better though.
Hmmm... thanks for that Dave. I'm hoping cyhngin (letters are almost all present I think) it tight with some Vielo (same again) straps might do the job. Another thing I've thought of is to shape the spacer thing around the shape of the bar/stem section. I'll also try not to be too optimistic and allow it to hang rather than stay horizontal :smile:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:43 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:43 pm No probs. BTW, I tried something similar a while ago - think I used 15mm conduit and webbing straps, but the principle was the same. It didn't work as well as it did in my head because I imagined the conduit sticking straight out horizontally, but in reality there was nothing else to hold it up, and, gravity... so it spaced the whole thing off the bar but my MYOG harness wasn't as stiff as I thought and it sat too low. You may have figured out something better though.
Hmmm... thanks for that Dave. I'm hoping cyhngin (letters are almost all present I think) it tight with some Vielo (same again) straps might do the job. Another thing I've thought of is to shape the spacer thing around the shape of the bar/stem section. I'll also try not to be too optimistic and allow it to hang rather than stay horizontal :smile:
Yeah, guess Voile straps are a bit more rigid, might work. I shaped the ends on mine too, but it doesn't really help in that way. With s non-round bar profile it might though.

Wonder if attaching something to the stem itself would help. Just throwing an idea out there.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:25 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:43 pm
Yeah, guess Voile straps are a bit more rigid, might work. I shaped the ends on mine too, but it doesn't really help in that way. With s non-round bar profile it might though.

Wonder if attaching something to the stem itself would help. Just throwing an idea out there.
If you look at those Altura/Ortlieb handlebar-bag clamps, they have a cable going over/under the stem to prevent rotation.
redefined_cycles

Yes... I was thinking to double the straps to hopefully help stabilise it through friction... and possibly use this method https://youtu.be/gBP9ErDX-zs

Though I'm not sure how I will incroporate it into my stabiliser/straps/solution
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I was going to suggest cable cleats around the bars and a home made bracket, but looking at the photo again they look like aero bars?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Got a couple of sections of approx 40mm OD carbon tube, 150mm long and about 3mm wall - can check if it sounds useful.
redefined_cycles

:smile: yup... aero bars Rob
Rob S wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:00 pm I was going to suggest cable cleats around the bars and a home made bracket, but looking at the photo again they look like aero bars?
redefined_cycles

jameso wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 pm Got a couple of sections of approx 40mm OD carbon tube, 150mm long and about 3mm wall - can check if it sounds useful.
Thanks James. One of the lads from Brothers on Bikes had some tubing from cutting a carbon seatpost down. So just waiting on that. Might be in touch if I still need yours but should be good... ta :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't believe you haven't got loads of scrap carbon Shaf. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:07 pm I can't believe you haven't got loads of scrap carbon Shaf. :wink:
:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:07 pm I can't believe you haven't got loads of scrap carbon Shaf. :wink:
I thought that and wondered about that silly Sonder with the Alpine bond warranty. Pity I'd already chucked it otherwise it'd have made a nice posh tube section :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:33 pm
jameso wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 pm Got a couple of sections of approx 40mm OD carbon tube, 150mm long and about 3mm wall - can check if it sounds useful.
Thanks James. One of the lads from Brothers on Bikes had some tubing from cutting a carbon seatpost down. So just waiting on that. Might be in touch if I still need yours but should be good... ta :smile:
:-bd