Wtd: Shimano Freehub purging tool

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Wtd: Shimano Freehub purging tool

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bit of a long shot but anyone happen to have one available that they wanna sell on :smile:

MorningStar used to do one as a problemsolvers type tool (would screw into the freehub after removing it and then purge grease through) but it was USA AFAIR and whilst I contemplated, years ago, they went out of production.

Thanks and if anyone has any other clever ideas to purge my 2014 DuraAce freehub then please share...
fatbikephil

Re: Wtd: Shimano Freehub purging tool

Post by fatbikephil »

They do come apart..... but this probably ranks as one of the most fiddly jobs on a bicycle. I can provide full destructions if necessary.
I've successfully used spray grease to turn a sticky freehub into a free running one. I've never heard of a purging tool so interested in what they actually look like.
redefined_cycles

this is what it looks like Phil and it seems its been a bit of a relic for a while now. my Dura Ace isnt sticking but it'd be a shame to not get so many more years out of it. Bearings are nice and smooth and regularly serviced but when going through grit I often get the 'I really need to get fresh grease into this FH' feeling. Other day it became crunchy out on the ride and I just threw some lube behind the cassette and became smooth again.

Would hate for it to die soon without having tried to properly save it (a 7900 Dura Ace in 20 hole flavour so gonna be hard replacing it)...

Basically this https://www.halowheels.com/shop/spares/ ... -injector/ but in shimano flavour
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

Not cheap but it exists...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324345714839
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
techno

Post by techno »

i remeber seeing one in the 90s but not sure who made it. could be the morningstar one or more likely this one:
https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-ite ... b-flusher/
https://www.neodgtlv.com/index.php?main ... _id=147315
https://www.ebay.com/str/steintool
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I was about to suggest that it would be easy enough to fabricate something but a quick google seems to indicate that it is a 'bastard' thread size 30.5mm x 1.1mm or 23.1 tpi which is not available on most lathes.

Would a simple plastic/nylon flanged tube trapped by the lockring work?
This could be threaded to accept a grease tube or applicator of choice.
Can a 3d printer do internal threads?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Never come across that before - The stein one seems a bit counter intuitive as it will be pushing against the seals whereas the other one will push stuff from the none sealed end. If I was making one I'd go with Mariners suggestion or have something with an O ring on that clamps through the body centre (like the stein one but the other way round)

Hmm. Eyes lathe, eyes bar stock, thinks....
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:10 pm Never come across that before - The stein one seems a bit counter intuitive as it will be pushing against the seals whereas the other one will push stuff from the none sealed end. If I was making one I'd go with Mariners suggestion or have something with an O ring on that clamps through the body centre (like the stein one but the other way round)

Hmm. Eyes lathe, eyes bar stock, thinks....
:smile: lol... how much you gonna charge
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The other half of the magic seems to be in using grease of the correct viscosity. MorningStar did their own grease for this reason.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:06 pm The other half of the magic seems to be in using grease of the correct viscosity. MorningStar did their own grease for this reason.
When I've stripped them I've used normal moly grease which works well. After spinning it a few times the pawls seem to squidge excess grease out of the way.
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:57 pm :smile: lol... how much you gonna charge
I'll see what I can do.....
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Thought I might have been onto a winner until somebody mentioned grease.
I have DT Swiss hubs so need their two types of special grease distilled from powdered Unicorn horn and Dragon tears. :sad:
Then I realised that DT Swiss hubs I don't have this problem. :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.