26 X 4.5 Fat Bike Tyres Wanted

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

26 X 4.5 Fat Bike Tyres Wanted

Post by Escape Goat »

Hi all

I don't want to buy new ones incase they don't fit the onone fatty, but I have a feeling maybe a set of 4.5s will fit.

Does anyone have anything reasonable for sale that t I could try at a reasonable price in case I have to sell em on if they don't fit?

Thanks.
TheBrownDog

Re: 26 X 4.5 Fat Bike Tyres Wanted

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've had the 4.8 Surly Bud and Lous on my Fatty and they just squeezed in ok. I've got the carbon fork though, which I think has more clearance than the original steel one. Didn't really like them to be honest. I know they must be amazing in snow and on beaches but we've not had much of either round the Chilterns for years (millions of years in the case of beaches ... )

I also know that general wisdom says that fatter is better, but does depend on where you're going. I've got Surly Nates on my fat rims now - 3.8in and very very good in muddy, rocky, rooty conditions, which basically defines my manor. And as soon as I extracta la digitalis and stick a new axle and free hub on the back end, I'll be out on them again.

HTH :-bd
I'm just going outside ...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:07 pm I've had the 4.8 Surly Bud and Lous on my Fatty and they just squeezed in ok.
How do. Did you take any pictures with them on? I love the idea of big tyres :) 4 inch doesn't quite cut it.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Are you talking about the original on one fatty?

I used to own one and loved it.

IMO you can not fit much above 4" in the rear but that will depend on your rims. Mine were standard rims.

On the front I too had the carbon fork (highly recommended) and happily ran a 4.8 bud.

The combo was great.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

No pix I can find I'm afraid. Original OO Fatty - still have it and will never part with it. It was years ago and I think I was running Clown Shoe rims with 1x10 and while it did fit it was very tight and occasionally rubbed. It was an expensive lesson and I went back to the standard rims which I'd drilled out (that was a fun afternoon).
I'm just going outside ...
substandard

Post by substandard »

It’s worth noting that tyre width on fatbikes depends massively on rim width as there’s so much sidewall.

I too had an old oof some 5 years ago and doubt much more than 4” would go on the rear.

Not all 4” + tyres are created equal either, the maxxis minions 4.8 as one example are more like 4.2”

You’d be best off with a frame designed around 5” clearance if you want the full fat setup. I’m perfectly happy with a 3.8/4” nate depending on which part of the sidewall you read on the front and a 4” jumbo him on the back. Did gbduro with JJ front and rear.
Last edited by substandard on Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks everyone. JC has said he'd let me try some of his for size before I buy.

:-bd