Superlight bivvy bag

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Superlight bivvy bag

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyone got one that has some amount of water resistance to it and is less than 300g. Something like the newer Alpkit one would be ideal but I dont wanna spend £100.

Dont wanna spend too much so owt posh thats mint and over £60 is probably too much bling for me. Something posh but well used and less than £50 might be the perfect thingy!
Shewie

Re: Superlight bivvy bag

Post by Shewie »

What about going all Lael Wilcox on it and using a VBL bag instead Shaf?

But instead of buying the spendy Western Mountaineering one there's this from Cocoon for £50 .. https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Cocoo ... g-(211935)

It sounds like a sweaty horrible affair to me but I was interested to see the Cocoon option

Would you trust a tyvek bivvy? There's a few of those about cheap.

I really rate my MLD bivvy, had it getting on for 10 years ow and use it on just about every trip in single skin shelters
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd question how weather resistant does it need to be Shaf? If you're using it as a standalone shelter then there's little use or point in not having a fully waterproof bag.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:36 pm I'd question how weather resistant does it need to be Shaf? If you're using it as a standalone shelter then there's little use or point in not having a fully waterproof bag.
Stu... If I'm honest. I went out at 22kg carrying quite aloy of kit including brew-kit n breakfast with milk (I know, always trying to follow in Karls crazy footsteps from a blog post of his)... I really need to try this bb200 once more whilst its still 2020 as doing the 2020 route in 2021... well, that's just daft!

Plan is to do it for the orphan kids (that should stengthen my resolve) as my (fundraised) sponsorship for previpus 12 months expires in Nov.

Am hoping to get down to a target weight of 18kg which is 4 less rhan last time. 1kg of water instead of 2 and no cooking kit (can't claim to be the only one that'd do summat like that as Jase had cooking kit last year). If I attempt and fail then its just one more ride of experience (I suppose)...

Anyway, ahem... back to this bivvy talk. Plan is to have it and a bag there as summat to fall back on. Might even sacrifice - not literally - a mat. :smile:

Current Hunka is 550g so half of that would be bonus. Pricey thoughand hence why I was trying to cut a few corners to get price down. Even if I had to patch a few holes myself...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How about one of the SOL bags then Shaf ... assuming nowt turns up SH.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

"What is man but the sum of his memories"
redefined_cycles

Chicken Legs wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:48 pm What about this ?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rab-Survival-Bivvy-B ... SwvN1ff1JZ
Thanks CL that looks good. Will keep an eye on it after comparing to the link Shewie shared...

Stu, the SOL stuff sounds good but talk of the cheapest one being similar to a bin liner put me off ever so slightly and hence why asked the Q here.

Lets see what turns up and will consider the options. Obviously my attempt won't be Oct as I've used up that ticket I suppose (and there's no time anyway to get away). I do hope the 2021 route will be a bit more humane :o
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Another option, Snugpak's SF bivvy is around 300g (+/- 50g) from memory Shaf, I wouldn't trust it standalone but under a tarp it would keep moisture off your bag. Handy centre zip for easy entry and quick escape when the baddies arrive, they used to retail around £70 so you might find a 2nd hand one for a good price.
redefined_cycles

Shewie wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:36 pm Another option, Snugpak's SF bivvy is around 300g (+/- 50g) from memory Shaf, I wouldn't trust it standalone but under a tarp it would keep moisture off your bag. Handy centre zip for easy entry and quick escape when the baddies arrive, they used to retail around £70 so you might find a 2nd hand one for a good price.
Thanks Rich. I dont actually own a tarp (shaped tsrp gone... Trekkertent will come out for winter BAMing). Hence I'm hoping to get summat that I can just chuck in my packs with the sleeping bag and only use if I'm really really tired. Having just the sleeping bag and bivvy might encourage me to keep moving and have a much higher threshold for chucking it in (the towel)...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As Stu says - if you have no other shelter then the bag really needs to be waterproof. The SOL would be my suggestion. If you knew when you were likely to need it, you could borrow mine for the cost of return postage. I also have my RAB but I'm more likely to be wanting to use that myself, whereas I don't really have a trip in mind for the SOL at the moment.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:49 pm As Stu says - if you have no other shelter then the bag really needs to be waterproof. The SOL would be my suggestion. If you knew when you were likely to need it, you could borrow mine for the cost of return postage. I also have my RAB but I'm more likely to be wanting to use that myself, whereas I don't really have a trip in mind for the SOL at the moment.
Which of the SOLs please Colin? Which RAB do you have also. Ta :-bd

Yeah, it'll only really be used for this yearly 'stupid' ride. Dont wanna miss the 2020 edition without a good attempt (out if the official month now obviously) as I feel it'd be a recipe for lots of DNFs for future years (if I'm alive)...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:38 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:49 pm As Stu says - if you have no other shelter then the bag really needs to be waterproof. The SOL would be my suggestion. If you knew when you were likely to need it, you could borrow mine for the cost of return postage. I also have my RAB but I'm more likely to be wanting to use that myself, whereas I don't really have a trip in mind for the SOL at the moment.
Which of the SOLs please Colin? Which RAB do you have also. Ta :-bd

Yeah, it'll only really be used for this yearly 'stupid' ride. Dont wanna miss the 2020 edition without a good attempt (out if the official month now obviously) as I feel it'd be a recipe for lots of DNFs for future years (if I'm alive)...
It's the 240g version, SOL Escape Bivvy.

My RAB is the Ascent. 583g. Event fabric with a zip-off mesh panel at the head end.

I also have a TiGoat Kestrel but that's barely water-resistant. Again, it has a mesh panel. Only weighs 185g so it's more of a bug-proof sleeping bag cover really.
redefined_cycles

SOL escape... isn't that the higher end version thats more water resist and not proof?? If fully proof, you got a link?

Regards the 580g one you have there, I have the Hunka in XL which fulfils that slot for me. Thanks again and much appreciated (Colin and everyone)...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Well, it's highly water resistant and even has waterproofed seams. I'd trust it for a few hours kip.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I can just lend you some kit Shaf. I will message you.
redefined_cycles

Borderer wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 am I can just lend you some kit Shaf. I will message you.
Thanks Bridget. Last night I bought myself a SOL emergency thing (dont wanna call it a bivvy or shelter as I feel its too strong a term :grin: ) just like Sean (the sheep) uses (or doesn't as is the case... but carries it anyway). Got mine in 2 man flavour and got a Montane whilst I was there. Thanks so much though.

Shed is being 'extra wooded' up so I have some slots to start storing my BPing gear (again, just like Sean :-bd )...
redefined_cycles

NB. Sorry Sean (but you do climb rather well!)