WTB gear for Cannondale Trail 7

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jerry

WTB gear for Cannondale Trail 7

Post by Jerry »

Hi fellas. I'm pretty new to bikepacking and all I have is my bike and legs. I got to know the bike a bit and now I'm looking into the gear. I have nothing right now so any advice or good offers are very welcome at this point.
Thanks for any help, appreciated.
Boab

Re: WTB gear for Cannondale Trail 7

Post by Boab »

Buy the lightest and least bulky kit you can afford, i.e. tent / tarp, sleeping bag / quilt and mat.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Everyone pretty much agrees trying to reduce weght and bulk is a good idea - we just dont agree on how or where
ALso worth noting gear is personal - what works for you wont necessarily work for me
Some like Bivvies some dont
Some want comfort some want surviability
Bare minimum
Sheleter of some description -Bivvy bag at he minimalist end tent at the other end -Please note you can get lighter tents than some bivvies so dont just assume a bivvy will be lighter
Warmth of some description for said shelter - Bag / Quilt/ Insulated trousers and an insulated jacket
Air bed / pad - Not everyone takes them pay attention to r value [ warmth]as some are warm summer nights only use- there is a bargain one that always get recommended but I forget the name
Cooking -some dont bother but lightest is a meths stove - see this site for examples of stu offerings Gas is heavier
Everyone - I assume- uses a titanium pot of some sort to cook with -China based shops are pretty cheap for this
Tools and first aid kit
Bags on bike- Most will use bikepacking type - front bag, Saddle bag frame bag, top tube bags water ones etc -there appear to be some pretty cheap entry level stuff on ebay others and also Planet X/on one types
A rucksack is a cheaper way to give it a try assuming you have one
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Thanks man. I've been looking into bikepacking for past few weeks and it's like you say. I want to start off with bike bags and a tent. Seat bag, frame bag and handle bar bag could cost me upto 200£ for some good ones which could be steep for a begginer. But the tent... I was looking for advices about tents and if I want some tent that lasts I will pay more money for it than this bike.
You guys are experienced so If you could specifically recommend me certain gear it would be vaguely exciting. I've been hoping for someone with similiar bike to recommend what gear they used. I'm looking for long lasting gear as I plan to go seriously into bikepacking. I understand it will cost a lot.
I would like some sort of a tent that I could put my bike in it too. I don't want to leave it outside
Boab

Post by Boab »

If you want to start cheap, the look at the Planet X PODSAC bags. Cheap and cheerful, but will do while you get started. Note that you can buy the same stuff direct from China, without the PODSAC logos etc.

If you'd rather spend your money wisely, and buy something made in the UK, then look at AlpKit, Restrap, Straight Cut and Wildcat, to name a few, as there are others. Use the forum search functionality, it maybe clunky and require lots of paging, but all the info you need has been posted at some point.

Alternatively you can get spendy and go for one of the big names, like Apidura, or Revelate. Again there are others, and if you're prepared to wait, then stuff comes up for sale on here quite frequently, so you can sometimes pick up a bargain.

As for tents, I was going to recommend the SMD Lunar Solo, which seems like the most recommended single person tent on here. It's on my wish list and will be my next big purchase, but you wont get your bike in it with you though. If you're worried about someone nicking it while you sleep, then buy an OTTOLOCK HEXBAND Cinch, or a Hiplok Z Lok, or similar.

Edit: There is also the Acepac stuff, sold by Stu, in the Bearbones shop. This might be worth a read, if you haven't - https://bikepacking.com/plan/guide-to-bikepacking-bags/ as it contains a list of bag manufacturers at the bottom.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I owe you a beer. Thanks for the advice. I have Abus foldable lock with alarm on it but I'm still afraid of someone nicking the bike. I will go for something that last rather than cheap low QL stuff. I used to camp for over a decade when I was younger so I'm not new to camping in general it's just bikepacking. I reckon it will cost around 2k and I don't really want to waste my money as I'm going serious about it. Especially now during Covid traveling is getting more and more annoying.
I read somewhere that average weight for enjoyable bikepacking is about 40 pounds or less. That means the tent should be around 4ish pounds. Those I I would like are about twice as much so not so sure and not all the tents last for long.
Thanks again for amazing advice you guys are giving. Keep it coming.
If someone is selling good gear that fits my bike I'm open to offers
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15895447/v ... t-15895447
What about this one? I can hide the bike ans stuff inside the porch or possibly have a cover for cooking. The issue here is the weight. It's 4kg 8.8 pounds I think. However everything would be covered incase rain or something.
Any thoughts
?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Why do you want the bike in the tent? To protect it from rain, security, both, something else?
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

All of it. Protection from elements and it makes me calm to know the bike is right there.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Your choice and entirely a HYOH but bikes are usually fine left out during your average trip, they don't need to be stored under-cover. I'm possibly too blase about it but assume the likelihood of someone being around to steal my bike wherever I'm setting up seems pretty unlikely, so any substantial security seems unnecessary. Most I've done is a zip tie and tying it to something else that would wake me e.g. the shelter. Plus, if it's integral to the shelter (used as a support or guying point) it all makes it likely any tampering will wake you. Plus+plus, the first night or two of any trip is usually when I sleep quite lightly, so more likely to wake up if anything goes on (how much use that would be I don't know :wink:)

I say all this as I think a lot of people travelling with their own shelters (whatever configuration / bits it comprises) aim to be around the 1 to 1.5kg mark. The sort of weight you're talking about (4kg) is going to be a literal burden, if not immediately but in the near future as you do more.

But, HYOH :cool:
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Hey guys, I've been looking for a handlebar bag for this bike. I tried few but the issue is not enough clearing between the handlebar and tyre so I keep gringing the bags I was using. I found some good bags but they are from the US and for about 100£ so that's off limits because of taxes etc.
I'm looking for some harness possibly with a bag (not necessary)
That I could put a tent and a sleeping bag into and some other stuff depending on the space that's left. The main thing is I don't want to damage it by the tyres.
Thanks guys!
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

A minimalist front rack might be the solution https://bikepacking.com/gear/lightweigh ... kepacking/
I understand your concerns about bike security but in reality its very rarely an issue when camping. If I was camping in the kind of area where bike thief toe-rags were present I'd be more worried about my own personal safety. Your bike will take no harm from sitting out in the rain for the night. You could always remove the front wheel and store it in the tent vestibule. If you're happy to spend the money then for quality and durability you can't go wrong with Hilleberg tents. For lightness and compact pack size the UK made Trekkertents are good.
Decathlon now do a range of bikepacking bags.
You don't need to be an ultralite weight weenie, snapping the handle off your toothbrush extremist, but its definitely worth keeping weight down. A 4kg is more than double what most people on here would consider.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Thanks for the tip. I not that keen on security anymore and the tent.
Riding around a bit on this bike gave me an idea what and how to carry stuff.
I will probably take that light tent recommended before Lunar Solo.
Thanks for the rack tip, I forgot about that one and thinking about it I could strap a sleeping bag to the front fork if that was needed.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

alpkit kanga or the confusicous/loops bar allow you to keep the bag off your tyre - that said i think your main issue is there is too much stuff in the bag if its hitting a tyre [ though it can happen more easily with suspension forks under compression ]

Personally i dont think you will damage the tyre but you will wreck the thin dry bag .
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I didn't have much in those bags. The clearing is really low and front suspenssion is not helping it
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

To hold bags higher, off your tyre, I'd look at something like a Salsa cradle https://ghyllside.co.uk/front-packs/748 ... 59450.html

You may get sleeping bag in a fork cage, depending on size https://ghyllside.co.uk/front-packs/134 ... 80001.html
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Thanks for that, it looks like the right thing. I tried to search for some racks but couldn't find suitable one for my bike unfortunately. This could help, I try it out.
Or maybe I could just buy more appropiate bicycle for bikepacking
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

To hold bags higher, off your tyre, I'd look at something like a Salsa cradle
really does look good and effective but the price point for some [printed?] plastic is way past what i would pay.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

That's what I thought as well. I think I will start to consider to buy more suitable bike for bikepacking.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

This item no on eBay 303760059864 plus 2voile straps to hold your drybag to it or fit barnacles and strapdeck from @drj0n_bagworks on Instagram also available on Wildcat and Bikepacking Scotland sites.