WTD - Lightweight Stove Solutions

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: WTD - Lightweight Stove Solutions

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The 22g stove gets a lot of mentions and is obviously light. Tbh, I'm not sure what I really want but saving weight makes sense so to start with I'm thinking of giving it a try. A couple of questions...What type of cup/pot is best with this stove? Looks like 500ml using 20ml meths seems to be what People are using, is best to go for a slightly bigger cup - 650ml?
650ml or something of a similar diameter is ideal. I'm not sure what you'd gain by going bigger. I suppose you could up the capacity while retaining the same diameter but increasing volume beyond what you need is generally inefficient.
s anyone using the Afterburner? Is this better or rather, what would the benefits be using this?
Sadly, at this moment in time, I can't obtain the bits to make any. The 'benefit' is that it offers a degree of adjustment, the downside is that you need a windshield capable of supporting a pot above the stove.
How about the system to draw the meths from a bottle to give continuous flame? Do People use this?
It works but it is somewhat niche. Usually if people need a burn time of say longer than 12 minutes, then they'd perhaps be better served with something other than an ultralight stove set-up. Little gas stove maybe?
I'm not being too ambitious with the cooking, one-pot noodles or those pre-packed just add water meals, hot evening drink, porridge in morning with a couple of coffees.
A 22g is ideal for the above and you've probably described what most people use them for :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

Mythste wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:23 pm Should anyone be interested in an update; I have done what many a man before me has I'm sure done too.

I've listened to all of your advice, done research based on your advice.

and ignored all of it because I think I know better.

Gone for a Trangia mini. 330grams is leightweight by my standards and I can still gladly do a fry up.

I'll be back in two years when I realise it's too heavy, but for £27 I can't argue so far.
That's exactly what I did.... Then I bought a hinged aluminium wind break on Amazon and cut it down to fit perfectly around the trangia mini. I think I might still have the other half of the windbreak if you want it?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yes, all you need is a 650-750ml mug, a 22g stove or equivalent and a windshield.

You could get a smaller mug and the 8g stove but the former is more versatile and still compact and lightweight.

The Alpkit mug is good https://alpkit.com/products/mytimug
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

For an idea of what the 8g stove can manage, I use one with a 300ml mug. I can generally get one mug of water boiling (or close enough) on ~13ml of fuel (one burn). This lets me make a brew or porridge or just about one dehydrated meal. It does mean I need to do two rounds if I want food and a brew.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Thanks very much for the help, Folks. Ok, that's helped decide to give the BB stove a try. I've got enough time to practice before I go for an overnight. I've got my 8yr old Daughter interested in a hot chocolate on one of our little cycle rides while getting exercise. Sounds like a good reason to practice a lot.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Joe has Ti mugs in stock in his shop. He also has a lightweight gas stove if anyone is interested in one of those. Cheers

https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product- ... verything/
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh, arse. Please tell me Joe's pots don't have one dimension less than 8.5cm cos just bought a 550 from ultralightoutdoorgear for that reason.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

He's building up some nicely chosen stuff now isn't he - that Ti woodstove, the handy chainlinker, the universal hanger etc.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

RIP wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:00 pm Oh, arse. Please tell me Joe's pots don't have one dimension less than 8.5cm cos just bought a 550 from ultralightoutdoorgear for that reason.
Hm - that's strange he must have forgotten to put the size on that listing. Just measured them and they are 9cm tall by 10.4 dia at the widest point.
RIP wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:04 pm He's building up some nicely chosen stuff now isn't he - that Ti woodstove, the handy chainlinker, the universal hanger etc.
Thanks yes - he has stocked up for the summer season. Just as well considering the issues with importing now.
RIP

Post by RIP »

5mm makes all the difference :wink: . Would have felt bad if I'd just missed Joe's. In fact I still feel a bit bad cos I bet 5mm won't make a difference. Sigh.

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

RIP wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:47 pm 5mm makes all the difference :wink: . Would have felt bad if I'd just missed Joe's. In fact I still feel a bit bad cos I bet 5mm won't make a difference. Sigh.
Ach weel. Next time :wink:
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Do folk sit the mug straight on top of the 22g burner once it is burning ? Or do they suspend it from the windshield using skewers ? or what ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mug on the stove. The flames come out of the wee holes around the top.
RIP

Post by RIP »

If you're starved of amusement like me, it's hugely entertaining, albeit a bit wasteful admittedly, just setting the 22g on fire and simply watching it for 7 minutes.

I did that when I first got one. I remember being fairly stunned and childishly delighted as the very gentle initial burn suddenly changed into a raging inferno about a foot high.

Also don't use nasty meths, go for bioethanol like I do. Two reasons. 1/ You can drink it if you get stuck in a snowdrift overnight. 2/ It annoys Stu (the main reason to do it, obviously). :smile:
Last edited by RIP on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Guess you already know the tip about pre-warming the stove/fuel. I stick mine under my armpits (*) while doing something else. Not sure why it helps much but it does for me.

(*) other bodily crevices are available

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The flames come out of the wee holes around the top.
Aah, so that's how you extinguish the stove, you must have a good aim. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As mentioned Steve - pot directly on top. The 22g is semi-pressurised so will only work properly with the pot sealing the top. If you lift the pot higher, it'll still burn but it'll eat fuel and produce a large yellow flame ... very inefficient it'll be.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:13 am As mentioned Steve - pot directly on top. The 22g is semi-pressurised so will only work properly with the pot sealing the top. If you lift the pot higher, it'll still burn but it'll eat fuel and produce a large yellow flame ... very inefficient it'll be.
Dang. I have been using mine wrong all these years. I wasn't sure, so I went to the shop to check and couldn't find the instructions there (I bought mine second hand from someone here). Might be an idea to put the instructions on the listings for the stoves?

Just a thought - does this apply to the afterburner too?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:38 am Also don't use nasty meths, go for bioethanol like I do. Two reasons. 1/ You can drink it if you get stuck in a snowdrift overnight. 2/ It annoys Stu (the main reason to do it, obviously). :smile:
Where do you get bio ethanol from Reg?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No. AB is a completely different beast and the pot must be suspended above the burner.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:44 am
No. AB is a completely different beast and the pot must be suspended above the burner.
Cool. Making that clearer on the shop would be great :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

htrider wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:44 am
RIP wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:38 am Also don't use nasty meths, go for bioethanol like I do. Two reasons. 1/ You can drink it if you get stuck in a snowdrift overnight. 2/ It annoys Stu (the main reason to do it, obviously). :smile:
Where do you get bio ethanol from Reg?
B&Q last time. Have had 1L bottles (Vango?) from Milletts(?) previously, but this was latest one:
https://www.diy.com/departments/la-haci ... oreId=1368

2 litres for £9. Should get 100 burns out of that.

Or bulk-buy for the three-course bivvy meal merchants:
https://www.imaginfires.co.uk/biofuel-l ... gYQAvD_BwE

12 litres for £39. Oh look, 34% off at the moment too.

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

RIP wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:57 am Or bulk-buy for the three-course bivvy meal merchants:
https://www.imaginfires.co.uk/biofuel-l ... gYQAvD_BwE

12 litres for £39. Oh look, 34% off at the moment too.
Looks like your dry January is banjaxed then :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cool. Making that clearer on the shop would be great
Every stove does come with a set of easy to understand instructions :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

On stoves; you decided not to sell the wool-packed one Stu?