Wtd: Sub 600g bag or quil

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Wtd: Sub 600g bag or quil

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyone got one that they wanna move on for not much dosh??

Need it for the DD attempt as all mine are over 920g and a bit bulky. Need to be light enough but comfy for that I'd guess.

Looking at this as the second port of call but realistically, at the mo, I can't really afford!! https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ilt-p12911

Thanks in advance
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Wtd: Sub 600g bag or quil

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If it's a 'race bag' you're after then maybe this if you can't find owt SH. Couldn't vouch for how warm it'd be though.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ilt-p13467
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Yes cheap for a synthetic one but no temp rating means its just too big a risk for me

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... bag-p13466

that claims to be 4 degrees and is same make with 50% more insulation - never used a quilt so not sure if that is the weight saving so sameish rating or if it will be say 10 degrees ish
redefined_cycles

Sounds like you 2 dont have much faith in a Thermarest quilt :???: thanks for them links. Am hoping some more options might open up soon and someone might come forth selling their old rusty one :smile:

Yes Stu, kindof a race bag but with a bit more oomph as I get cold easily and I plan to get some decent kip in enroute... Am thus also considering to buy that tent I've been working on for over 2 years (the one for which you built me the carbon pole :lol: )
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Hi just ordered one of these 260 fill summer quilts they are a little over your specified weight at 660grms
but quite cheap and have good reviews https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304650 ... 4c4dLMhnpG
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You really don't to think to deeply about the down in that quilt.
redefined_cycles

wingnut wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:29 pm Hi just ordered one of these 260 fill summer quilts they are a little over your specified weight at 660grms
but quite cheap and have good reviews https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304650 ... 4c4dLMhnpG
Thanks for that Wingnut... I think I'm a great big softie when it comes to risk and AliExpress so probs give that one a miss... I reckon a budget of £150ish should serve me well but might be a matter of thoroughly searching...
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

No worries , will give a review under my new Asta gear Windwhisper mid and Asta Gear quilt when I get chance .
Bumpy Jonas

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

I have a PhD Minimus that would fit the bill Best ring me to see if it's what you want. 01604 949850 cheers Peter
redefined_cycles

Bumpy Jonas wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:54 am I have a PhD Minimus that would fit the bill Best ring me to see if it's what you want. 01604 949850 cheers Peter
Thanks for the offer. Probably gonna pass on that though as I got rid my previous one due to beimg a bit too snug. Besides I doubt I could afford such a thing :-bd
Bumpy Jonas

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

To snug for me also cheers.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

The Minimus is designed to be snug to keep the weight down. If you can, try a Hispar, they're roomier..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone recall the name of the European company who make / sell synthetic quilts (Apex insulation). They looked well made with decent ratings and not heavy or expensive.
Aye, I'm with you there Colin. I really couldn't bring myself to buy any down item direct from China.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:21 pm Anyone recall the name of the European company who make / sell synthetic quilts (Apex insulation). They looked well made with decent ratings and not heavy or expensive.
Aye, I'm with you there Colin. I really couldn't bring myself to buy any down item direct from China.
You thinking AS Tucas Stu??
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Just seen this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Down-Top-Qui ... fresh=true it looks like the standard version so the measurements are here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000084 ... lsrc=aw.ds
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You thinking AS Tucas Stu??
No, the company I'm thinking of have been mentioned quite recently. They make shelter, quilts, etc. Have a feeling the name is something like Trail Light or something light?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Are you thinking of the guy in Ukraine Stu?
Liteway.equipment
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles

Thanks Andy...

Now that Stu has managed to mention some sense into me and I'm techincally £240 richer (from an Exposure), I cant help think my first option https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ilt-p12911 wasn't such a bad piece after all... But then again, even though it does seem to have baffles and whatever other snobbery some of these higher end manufacturers manage to buikd into their bags/quilts.

But then again, another part of me says I'm beinf stupid not just going for the gold standard ?? and just getting the Cumulus. Seems its also got 3 extra layered sections (are they still called baffles.. whatever) like my Sierra Designs bag (a Stu endorsed item I believe) which ensures there's not really any cold spots...

Thing is though. Seems that even if I did up the budget to £200 to try stretch to a Cumulus... Doesn't look like they're in stock anywhere or looks like they're just holding their prices high... :sad:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are you thinking of the guy in Ukraine Stu?
Liteway.equipment
There the folk Gari, ta.

Here you go Shaf, they make 2 different weight Apex quilts for 139 and 119 euro. The cheaper one weighs about 500g and they reckon it's good to +4.

https://liteway.equipment/quilts/sleeper-quilt
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Please note not in the EU so there is VAT on cost and postage- £20 - so potentially import implications £135 limit so probably just under depending on excahnge rates when calculater]

Valley quilts end up abut the same price [ think they are £20 dearer ish] without import issues once you do some maths and lighter and larger

https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/brands/vall ... sic-quilt/
Gari

Post by Gari »

I mentioned this in another post about vat etc. I received a mesh inner from them a couple of weeks ago and there were no additional charges. It did take about 5-6 weeks to get here though if that’s a consideration.
It’s really well made and pretty light and he mailed out quickly too.
redefined_cycles

Seems no mention of the Cumulus 250 (slightly above budget I know but Andy of the scottish shop seems to have been selling em at 170£... out of stock though. Has everyoen fallen out of love with their Cumulus quilts or is it that your coming from the aspect that the synthetic down is better for quick packups and lay downs??

Really appreciate this input btw :smile:
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

My opinion only, but how can anyone fall out with their Cumulus quilt. They are up there with the best, and with a bit of respect will serve you for a long time.
Great bits of kit!
redefined_cycles

Artie Fufkin wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:28 pm My opinion only, but how can anyone fall out with their Cumulus quilt. They are up there with the best, and with a bit of respect will serve you for a long time.
Great bits of kit!
I don't think anyones fallen out with em... Maybe it was cos I said I wanted summat within budget. Really glad you spoke up :smile: