wtd: 27.5 plus tires (2.8")

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

wtd: 27.5 plus tires (2.8")

Post by redefined_cycles »

Something decent at a reasonably low price.

Trying to lose weight off Stan (swapped out for Rocket Ron on the back and lost about 150g without any problems in handling and actually grips well) and it'll be used on the front.

With lots of life left please and nothing too puncture prone (reports for the lightweight WTBs weren't very good were they).

Preferably in the local area so the carbon footprint isn't affected too much and with 30 miles I could defineilty come and collect.

Weightwise: anything much over 850g is probably above what I'm looking for.
Thanks
restlessshawn

Re: wtd: 27.5 plus tires (2.8")

Post by restlessshawn »

I have a 2.8 rekon but

1. I'd have to weigh it
2. I don't like to condone people running non matching tyre brands
3. Of all the places on a bike the front tyre is the last place I'd try and save weight over function, besides a nice big gyroscope on the front can be a good thing
4. Since I think we both drive Subarus? posting is definitely the lowest carbon footprint option

I now run a 2.5 dhf minion as I did not find the rekon grippy enough
redefined_cycles

restlessshawn wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:01 am
the last place I'd try and save weight

we both drive Subarus?

not find the rekon grippy enough
1) would it help if I said I was planning to whack a (repaired) carbon, Italian (copy) saddle at 120ish g

2) aint they lovely.. I wasn't planning to collect via car but by bike :-bd

3) hmmm... now you've got me waivering as I've got the Minion dhf 2.5 that came off the back already

---------------

NB: 800g to 850g is still a decent non weight weenie target I think
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

" aint they lovely.. I wasn't planning to collect via car"

Yeah apart from the car tax rate which is frankly eye watering!

Rekon weighs 935g on my scales so probably too heavy
redefined_cycles

restlessshawn wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 am " aint they lovely.. I wasn't planning to collect via car"

Yeah apart from the car tax rate which is frankly eye watering!

Rekon weighs 935g on my scales so probably too heavy
Thanks Sean... online weights of your Rekon showing as 850g so theres obvioisly massive discrepancy...

Yeah, regards the tax... My SpecB ended up needing some work that would have probably gotten expensive. Was on 197000 miles and an 09 plate so got rid via ebay to one of them that repair H6 engines. Think it was just a seal that needed replacing somewhere. That road tax was eye watering...

Then found the farmers version (outback H6 in 05 flavour)... similar powers but just tax bracket by about 50%...

Bloody govt :o
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Outback is for the country gent! I have a Forester, that's for the farmers...though mine is the 2.5 turbo, 07, £550 tax I think (I try not to look)

Finally managed to get my self levelling headlamp warning light to go off this week so pleased with myself :lol:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I have a used once 2.8 trailblazer it's the Tubeless ready light version, I'm not sure of the weight but I'm in leeds if that's any good to you
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

What sort of terrain/riding?

When I first set up my Pact #wildcat I opted for the lightest/widest B+ tyres available - the FatBNimbles. They are marketed as 3.5" but aren't. In fact they came up as a smidge under 3" on Scraper i45 rims. 710g each apparently.

I rode them for a couple of months but it was into late Autumn and they were just awful on any mud. I replaced them with 3" Nobby Nics and they have been stellar.

I kept the FatBNimbles for Summer/potentially beach touring but I've never got round to re-fitting them and actually have some Bontrager XR4s to go on when the Nobby Nics wear out.

So - if you are interested, we can talk money. But, only if you are prepared to take the risk on the wet grip levels.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:42 pm What sort of terrain/riding?

When I first set up my Pact #wildcat I opted for the lightest/widest B+ tyres available - the FatBNimbles. They are marketed as 3.5" but aren't. In fact they came up as a smidge under 3" on Scraper i45 rims. 710g each apparently.

I rode them for a couple of months but it was into late Autumn and they were just awful on any mud. I replaced them with 3" Nobby Nics and they have been stellar.

I kept the FatBNimbles for Summer/potentially beach touring but I've never got round to re-fitting them and actually have some Bontrager XR4s to go on when the Nobby Nics wear out.

So - if you are interested, we can talk money. But, only if you are prepared to take the risk on the wet grip levels.
Bonty xr4?? :smile:

Not 'bad in mud' tires pls... your dt rims on the rocket ron up back is vaguely exciting all round.

20 mins ago
redefined_cycles

firestarter wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:30 pm I have a used once 2.8 trailblazer it's the Tubeless ready light version, I'm not sure of the weight but I'm in leeds if that's any good to you
Don't think thats 'the one' for me :-bd
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

No worries mate
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I’ve got some brand new G One Allround 2.8” but I suspect that’s not the sort of tyre you’re looking for.
redefined_cycles

Tomwoodbury wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:07 pm I’ve got some brand new G One Allround 2.8” but I suspect that’s not the sort of tyre you’re looking for.
Yup... Probably the wrong choice for me. Needing something for proper off roading that can bite into the mud aswell as the broken bricks/gravel etc etc... Might be asking fir a bit much i know :smile:
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:07 pm I’ve got some brand new G One Allround 2.8” but I suspect that’s not the sort of tyre you’re looking for.
I might be interested in these. Which version are they, and how much are you after including p&p?
May satan walk with you
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Ssnowman they are the snakeskin DC compound. Brand new not come out of the packaging. Unfortunately not quite enough chain clearance on my new frame. £50 for the pair incl postage.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:32 am Ssnowman they are the snakeskin DC compound. Brand new not come out of the packaging. Unfortunately not quite enough chain clearance on my new frame. £50 for the pair incl postage.
Thanks, but I am after the lighter version.
May satan walk with you