WTD - silver rim brake road (dynamo?) wheels

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

WTD - silver rim brake road (dynamo?) wheels

Post by jameso »

Bit of a longshot but before I spend ££ and wait weeks. I'm after a silver rim brake QR wheelset suitable for a road/audax bike, dynamo front ideally but if not may still be of interest - if the rims are readily available I can get a dyno front made up later. 9-10s freehub is OK, no need for 11s.

Also an option is a pair of NOS silver rims, if you had some DTs hidden away? Open Pros are an option but a bit skinny really.
ScotRoutes

Re: WTD - silver rim brake road (dynamo?) wheels

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you don't get any better responses, I have some 36H Open Pros you are welcome to (postage being the only thing). I also have 36H XTR disc hubs. I'd want something for them, just not thought of a price.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Kind offer, thanks Colin. I expect I'll stump up for a new build on a SON in the end if there's nothing close about S/H wheelset-wise, it's the build that will slow it all down. I really should have learned to build wheels by now.

It's suprisingly difficult to find a wheelset to this sort of spec yet if I wanted a £1200+ set of deep section carbons I'm spoiled for choice. Bonkers. Spa Cycles have some options but are still a bit limited on rim range.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have a 2nd hand sp dynamo hub on silver Alex rim. I could never get any output from the dynamo, but the spokes and rim are good. Yours for postage

Oh, it’s front only and silver
Last edited by slarge on Thu May 21, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did you say what size James? If it's 650, there's some 32 hole SunXCD rims here - polished and a bit retro.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/RISXCDRR/ ... minium-rim
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

slarge wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 pm I have a 2nd hand sp dynamo hub on silver Alex rim. I could never get any output from the dynamo, but the spokes and rim are good. Yours for postage

Tempted to take you up on that Steve and bung you fair £ if it can be got working but it sounds like you've tried? If so it'll be a rebuild and hard to get a rear rim to match so I'd be better stumping up for a new pair. Thanks though, appreciated.
Did you say what size James?
I didn't did I.. :oops: 700C. Those SunXCDs look nice, had only seen mechs and chainsets from them so far. I've got my eye on H Plus Son TB14s in classic CD grey ano but it's getting pricey. Still, would look lovely on a skinny steel bike.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Just looked at those Stu, and they're 650a which I think is a different outside diameter for the tyre bead?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

and they're 650a
Sorry, I obviously didn't read it properly, I just saw 650 and assumed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

jameso wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:56 pm
slarge wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 pm I have a 2nd hand sp dynamo hub on silver Alex rim. I could never get any output from the dynamo, but the spokes and rim are good. Yours for postage

Tempted to take you up on that Steve and bung you fair £ if it can be got working but it sounds like you've tried? If so it'll be a rebuild and hard to get a rear rim to match so I'd be better stumping up for a new pair. Thanks though, appreciated.
Did you say what size James?
I didn't did I.. :oops: 700C. Those SunXCDs look nice, had only seen mechs and chainsets from them so far. I've got my eye on H Plus Son TB14s in classic CD grey ano but it's getting pricey. Still, would look lovely on a skinny steel bike.
I'll check to see which rim it is, and if there's the same on ebay I'll ping you a link so you can be a tart and have matching wheels :-bd
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I have a front dynamo Shimano DH - 3N71 on rigida sputnik silver rim. Has a spa cycles sticker. £25 plus postage costs?
jameso

Post by jameso »

slarge wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:33 pm I'll check to see which rim it is, and if there's the same on ebay I'll ping you a link so you can be a tart and have matching wheels :-bd
:grin: I might be able to get an Alex rim via our OE supplier so could be good to know. I'm not exactly a dab hand with the Evo meter though so if you've tested out the hub and it's truly dead it may all need more time than the wait to get a set build new.

Ben, that's a sound wheel, a bit heavy duty for this bike but perfect for a proper tourer and Spa have rears to match. Tempted, will PM soon if the new option's going to take long. Thanks.